What's new

Sorry For the Intrusion

I still miss my OEM (Old English Mastiff). She never let me out of her sight. I could clean the barn and coop and do my chores knowing she had my back.

I am also an English Mastiff lover, this is my boy, have to keep him on a leash at my friends house, he gets a little excited when playing with his small kids and tends to knock them over as he thinks he only weighs about 5lbs lol.

P5051290.jpg

Sorry to hear about your dog. As for the AR 15 I would put one of the little reflex type sights on it. I have one on one of my AR's , that is made by Leupold, a delta model i think. It's battery operated , very small and if the gun has been immobile for a few minutes it shuts off to preserve battery life, pick it up and it's instantly on. It projects a red dot into a lens and as long as you have it zeroed, no matter what your eye position if the dot is on the target that is where it hits, very fast for what your are trying to do. It 's also very small and compact only a couple of inches long and maybe 1 1/2 inches tall.
DeltaPoint Pro | Leupold A little pricy but good. Other companies make them and i do not know anything about their quality

WOW! I am so thankful for all the outstanding advice here. Lots of things for me to take into consideration. As far as a few changes I want to my AR, I know I will be more comfortable with a rail system and handguard change (smaller/grippier). What comes stock is going to be too big for my hands. But I will deal with it until I get what I want. As I shoot and get used to it, I will know more what adjustments I will need. Lots of scope suggestions, which I really need because I do not have very much experience with them and I genuinely appreciate the suggestions. I am looking forward to shopping for scopes, big fun to me as I detest all shopping generally : D
I did sit in one of my stands last night because as y'all stated, dusk is generally the best time. I took my SKS with me but of course, saw nothing. Things have been a little quieter the last few days since I stirred up some dust. I am hoping I got one in the rear end, but I have no idea for sure so will consider them both still alive.
I have had such a generous response to this..I am truly thankful.
I have 2 SKS's, but the one has the original wood stock. Way too heavy for me to tote around, so I replaced my 2nd SKS with a polymer stock. Much better, I am hooked on lightweight now. I had shoulder surgery 9 months ago; 3 screws, an anchor, a plate and the end of my collar bone removed. So, lightweight and easily maneuverable is paramount. I was T-boned by a texting teenager and it wrecked my shoulder.
Harmon: The picture of your Mastiff is really bringing back memories for me. I am searching now for a new dog, but I think I will always seriously consider the OEM again. One of the things I loved so much about Belle, was that she never left my side. Ever. She never got distracted and ran or wondered off. She just constantly panned, looking and analyzing everything. No fences, leashes or collars needed. Where I went, she followed. Such devotion without a lot of training can be difficult to attain. But I am open. She has been gone almost 10 years now, but maybe I can learn to place a picture on here to share; I am most certainly not computer savvy.
When I get my AR, I will post pictures to get any more suggestions. I will wait until I get my new scope to share.
I am located in central GA.
I WILL have my payback in spades. I feel worse for them then I do for me. I have no desire to make them suffer, just to pick them off as humanely as I can, one by one until they are in check. I will now make a feeble attempt at posting a couple of pictures for you to see...if I really screw things up I apologize...I'm not good at this!

Oh my gosh, I think it came out OK. I will try another. My shoulder post-surgery last year and my demolished truck.

Attachments

• 8045.jpeg
    8045.jpeg
    214.1 KB · Views: 37
WOW! I am so thankful for all the outstanding advice here. Lots of things for me to take into consideration. As far as a few changes I want to my AR, I know I will be more comfortable with a rail system and handguard change (smaller/grippier). What comes stock is going to be too big for my hands. But I will deal with it until I get what I want. As I shoot and get used to it, I will know more what adjustments I will need. Lots of scope suggestions, which I really need because I do not have very much experience with them. I am looking forward to shopping for scopes, big fun to me as I detest all shopping generally : D
I did sit in one of my stands last night because as y'all stated, dusk is generally the best time. I took my SKS with me but of course, saw nothing. Things have been a little quieter the last few days since I stirred up some dust. I am hoping I got one in the rear end, but I have no idea for sure so will consider them both still alive.
I have had such a generous response to this..I am truly thankful.
I have 2 SKS's, but the one has the original wood stock. Way too heavy for me to tote around, so I replaced my 2nd SKS with a polymer stock. Much better, I am hooked on lightweight now. I had shoulder surgery 9 months ago; 3 screws, an anchor, a plate and the end of my collar bone removed. So, lightweight and easily maneuverable is paramount. I was T-boned by a texting teenager and it wrecked my shoulder.
Harmon: The picture of your Mastiff is really bringing back memories for me. I am searching now for a new dog, but I think I will always seriously consider the OEM again. One of the things I loved so much about Belle, was that she never left my side. Ever. She never got distracted and ran or wondered off. She just constantly panned, looking and analyzing everything. No fences, leashes or collars needed. Where I went, she followed. Such devotion without a lot of training can be difficult to attain. But I am open. She has been gone almost 10 years now, but maybe I can learn to place a picture on here to share; I am most certainly not computer savvy.
I will try to share a couple of pictures for y'all to see, but I promise nothing. When I get my AR, I will post pictures to get any more suggestions. I will wait until I get my new scope to share.
I am located in central GA.

And just a couple of my horses and one of my beautiful land. Sorry for so many, I am trying not to inundate your website but would like to share just a little as y'all have been so generous.

Attachments

• 20181017_144417.jpg
    20181017_144417.jpg
    744.7 KB · Views: 34
  • 17918.jpeg
    17918.jpeg
    741.2 KB · Views: 35
  • 13567.jpeg
    13567.jpeg
    121.2 KB · Views: 36
Have any donkeys? I don't know if you have any fenced in acreage or not. They are often put with livestock since they will stomp/kick the tar out of predators.

I do not have any donkeys, but that is a very good suggestion. I am aware of their tenacity and bravery, but I don't know that I can physically care for any more equine then I have. Putting up winter hay and the like of general care is extremely demanding. I am almost 50 and the years of work are starting to show. I think I am satisfied with just 2 equine at this point. I do occasional SAR with my horses and general land patrolling, and sometimes a little repo/rescue with the county as they do not have facilities or a truck/trailer rig to carry out. I maintain that after my boys are gone, I am hanging up my bridles. We'll see.

Welcome to B&B Coyotegirl. I'm sorry about your dog, Incidents like that are one of the reasons that I despise 'yotes with a passion.

I live in a rural area myself and have dealt with coyotes for several years. I made my living with an AR type rifle for 20 years and they are still my preferred rifle for most things and they are excellent for coyotes with a 62 or 65 grain soft point bullet.

For relatively close range I prefer a good red dot like the Aimpoint Pro which has fantastic battery life and is extremely tough. I never turn mine off,I just change the battery once a year and it's always ready to go.

For longer range when magnification is needed I like lighter weight scopes like the Redfield 2-7 or Leupold compact.

Good ammo for coyotes is readily available locally or online. I've used every type of soft point from most of the major manufacturers and they have all been sufficient for coyotes. It goes without saying but FMJ bullet types are not suitable for coyote or any other animal.

Good luck with the coyote population!

So sorry about your pup. I too have the PSA PA-15 “Freedom” rifle. It’s a great gun and a terrific value, in my opinion. Best of luck!

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
When it comes to AR's, the fastest sight I've used is a holographic.

maxresdefault.jpg

I believe it to be the fastest sighting option for tracking moving targets, especially fast moving, which coyotes certainly can be. The only issue I've had with either it or the red dot is in the dark or near dark. They can be too bright, but I havent used any in maybe the last 5 years so that may have changed. They're also surprisingly accurate. A friend has one on his custom chambered Ruger No.1 in .308 Norma Magnum mounted forward of the receiver for long eye relief. A Scout scope of sorts. Whacking a 6" steel plate offhand at 200 yards is so easy it beggars belief.

Another thing you might look into is a high powered flashlight. The new LED lights are amazingly bright and many can be rail mounted. If you can shoot at night there the Nitecore P12 is an outstanding light. I've had mine for three years now and not had a single issue. One advantage of a flashlight with 1000 Lumen or more is when shone into the eyes of anything, its blinding. Animals by nature stop dead when they cant see.

A good red dot or holo sight combined with a powerful light would make for one serious yote killer.

Forgot to mention that Great Pyrenees dogs are exceptional livestock guardians also.

The Pyre is a great breed. Not as far ranging as a Kuvasz but not as fast and agile either. The Pyre would be the Mike Tyson to the Kuvasz Mayweather.

AR’s can be a great hunting tool. The round is more than capable. The gun itself though, well it’s like LEGO - you can add so much stuff, useful stuff (scope, bipod, backup sights etc), that before you know it, it weighs a ton. Which again, can be great for hunting, but sucks for reacting because the gun will now swing like a pig.

I guess what I’m saying is, in order to get the most out of your AR if you’re snap shooting, is to make sure you keep it light unless you’re upper body is really strong. Scopes can weigh a lot or a little, and if the gun is only for snap shooting at yotes, you don’t need concern yourself with backup sights and all that.

Good luck

Welcome to B&B!

There are still some good trappers out there who would be happy to take some coyote off your land. I would advise finding the nearest trapping group to you and giving them a shout. You can likely find someone to do it for free (providing they can keep the animals).

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
And just a couple of my horses and one of my beautiful land. Sorry for so many, I am trying not to inundate your website but would like to share just a little as y'all have been so generous.

Great pic of the camp fire with the sunset in the background.

The ultimate in "grippy" hardware would be Hogue. Their forend might be fatter than you want. Another good alternative would be a slim M-lok forend with rubber strips that are intended for that purpose, also made by magpul.

IIRC the freedom rifles start life with standard handguards so an M-lok free float tube can also be a substantial accuracy boost. It can also be used to mount a disturbing number of accessories.

proxy.php
proxy.php

Sent from my LG-LS998 using Tapatalk

As far as installing this stuff, if you can wet shave and do all the property maintenance you do you can manage these upgrades. Once you select what you want there's probably dozens of YouTube videos on how to install it.

Sent from my LG-LS998 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom