What's new

Sorry Crystal, it wasn't a good date...

Should've known that. Crystal is a name fit for a stripper.

This is the first blade in a long time that I am not even going to try and stick with for the 2nd shave.

Shaving was not very pleasant - felt tuggy and not very sharp - and now hours later, I still feel mild irritation. Haven't had this happen in months.

So, back in the bin it goes...

Should've known that. Crystal is a name fit for a stripper.

This is the first blade in a long time that I am not even going to try and stick with for the 2nd shave.

Shaving was not very pleasant - felt tuggy and not very sharp - and now hours later, I still feel mild irritation. Haven't had this happen in months.

So, back in the bin it goes...

I do not like Crystals as well as the Israeli Reds made in the same plant, but I do not remember ever getting a bad shave from one. I saw a note on one web site that mentioned some complaints for poor quality control. Perhaps you were a victim.

Like you, I like very sharp blades to deal with a coarse beard. I have not used one in a while as I have been trying a lot of different blades. I will need to pull out a pack and see if I still like them. I would probably not use the blades in a very mild razor, but I would not hesitate using them in an more aggressive razor.

I reacted the same way with my first shave with a Crystal, but the second shave was a bit better. You may want to go for shave 2, just so you know what improvement you feel. But like you, I have much better blades in my den.

-- Carlos

I've only tried Crystals a couple times and was not a big fan. There are plenty of great blades out there that will work for you - no use trudging your way through with one that doesn't. Funny thing though, sometimes a product that doesn't work for you now will be effective at a later date. I suggest trying them again in a year or so. If they're awful again then, toss 'em or give 'em away.

Of the Personna options I much prefer Reds, Labs and Med Preps to Crystals! For me Crystals are definitely mid-tier.

Well, I dumped it and opened a Feather to make it up to myself.

After that, I ordered a 200 pack of Feathers.

Might as well stick with the blade that gives me most satisfaction.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I have not had the pleasure or displeasure to take Crystal out yet. I might have to place Crystal on the back burner for a while before summoning up the courage to ask her on a date.

Crystal was a b*tch. Perhaps better luck some other time... but there's enough great blades to put up with iffy ones.

When I first started shaving in 2010 I came across a few Crystals, and they were great blades for my poor technique. Sharp enough to cut my whiskers easily, and smooth enough to do it comfortably ( much like their cousins the Rep IPs . I really liked them, but I never purchased them in bulk and I haven't used them in years. I may revisit them in light of the Personna/Edgewell merger that reportedly has all the Personna production moving to Edgewell's plants in Germany.

I didn’t even get half a shave with Crystal, it felt like the blade was plucking the whiskers out while abrading my skin. If it weren’t for the Graham-Field med prep (the blade from hell) being so awful Crystal would be dead last on my list.

...the Personna/Edgewell merger that reportedly has all the Personna production moving to Edgewell's plants in Germany.
Ah, that explains what's been going on.

I noticed that the country of origin on Personnas had changed recently from Israel to EU. I was worried, trying the first of the new packaging, in case they had gone ersatz, but it was just as good as ever, and shaved identically, as far as I could tell.

So crazy. I do get from this that the blade+razor+angle combo is important (duh). Crystals with my Merkur 34C are for me the absolutely most consistent performer. I am studying Voskhod alongside them and think they may well match - but I definitely love Crystals as my daily shave.

Todd

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Face may have a lot to do with this, too...

I’ve tried more than a few different blades and I love some of them and don’t care about others, but there were only two that I will not even try again after the first or second use. Bolzano that kept carving chunks of flesh out of my face with zero warning, and Crystal that gave me irritation for a week. I am sure that they work for other people, just not for me.

OTOH, I’ve instantly fallen in love with Feathers yet some people complain about them being too uncomfortable for everyday use.

YMMV all the way...

I really wonder if where you get them influences the results (limit the chance of them being fake? and also proper storage).
I just got 10 more Crystals today. The Dollar store sells Personna, made in Israel... I would guess the same place making them....but they feel different, Personna being rough (for me).

Top Bottom