What's new

Somewhat more aggressive razor recommendation

Hi all:
Hoping some folks can give me a recommendation. My current razor of choice is the Merkur 34c. I usually get good shaves with it but I am finding I have to do at least 3 passes and a cleanup to get almost BBS. I'm looking for another razor that is more efficient that the 34c but not crazy aggressive. I have used a Merkur Futur and found it too aggressive for my experience level (1.5 years), giving me several pretty bad cuts. I have a Standard razor but I find that it really is not any more efficient than the 34c. I also have a Parker 26c but I'm not a big fan since i seem to get inconsistent shaves with it. Can anyone give me an idea of what razor would be a logical jump up from the 34c based on the above? Thanks

A Merkur Progress, I think you'd like it. It's a fantastic design, very efficient and smooth. :thumbup1:

You didn't mention vintage razors so I'm assuming you're not interested in one, but a Gillette NEW is also a superb shaver.

A Merkur Progress, I think you'd like it. It's a fantastic design, very efficient and smooth. :thumbup1:

You didn't mention vintage razors so I'm assuming you're not interested in one, but a Gillette NEW is also a superb shaver.

I was going to suggest a Progress as it goes from Tech mild to Old type bite..... and everything in between

AND......

you can customize them easily :yesnod:

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Last edited:
I've been highly impressed with my Merkur Progress lately, enough that I'm in a "fixed 4" restraint for the entire month of July using it and Gillette 7 o'clock Super Stainless blades. It is an adjustable which at its lowest setting is easily as mild as the 34C yet can be opened up to provide a much closer shave, all the while maintaining an excellent degree of smoothness. It does have the dreaded zamak head however (but so does the 34C). I consider that "the cost of doing business" for such a great shaver:

proxy.php

If you're looking at vintage many will suggest a long or short comb Gillette NEW:

proxy.php

You'll get plenty of good recommendations here. Absorb the info and good luck in your choice!

Maggard V3A Closed Comb on a handle of your choice. Affordable and - for me - a great step up from the Merkur 38C, which has the same head as your 34.
Have been putting the Progress and 37C Slant through their paces over the last month, as I got all three around the same time. They are both good too, in different ways, but the Maggard head stands out.

Here is another BRW custom Progress that is floating around in the B&B community somewhere just to get you a little more excited about custom razors :yesnod:

proxy.php

An Adjustable, I've had some of my best ever shaves from my Wizamet W-11, which I picked up on eBay for less than €25 including delivery from Poland to Spain
It looks like a Gillette and shaves like a Gillette, but it's a NOS clone made in Poland in the 1980s under license from Gillette
Setting #4 or #5 is high enough for me depending on the blade, so setting #9 should be aggressive enough for anybody
View attachment 671163View attachment 671181

My other Adjustable is a NOS 1990s Ideal, a clone of a Gillette Slim, except for the black plastic baseplate, made in the former CCCP, an artefact of the Cold War, I got lucky with mine and snapped it up for €21 including delivery from Russia to Spain
I can use it on #4 if I'm careful, this is one aggressive razor
View attachment 671169

My most aggressive 3-piece is a Rapira Platinum Lux razor, available on eBay for less than €10
I get some very aggressive, but very close shaves from it, the black plastic handle is ok, but I think the heavy knurled handle that I got off a Boctok razor (a cheap Chinese razor repackaged for the Russian market) looks cool, it also adds weight and improves the balance
View attachment 671174View attachment 671175

Thanks for all the suggestions guys! I have had my eye on the Progress and the 37c. I have also been looking at the RazoRock Mentor. Anyone have experience with that one?

All good suggestions. You could try shimming first, that will give you an idea of what an adjustable would feel like. If you like it, then go with an adjustable. If not, I say try a NEW and/or a slant. If you don't mind mild razors, Fine's slant is affordable. I find both the NEW LC and the Merkur 37c to be efficient, but I wouldn't call either of them aggressive.

Thanks--I think I'll give the shimming a try on my next shave and see if it helps.
All good suggestions. You could try shimming first, that will give you an idea of what an adjustable would feel like. If you like it, then go with an adjustable. If not, I say try a NEW and/or a slant. If you don't mind mild razors, Fine's slant is affordable. I find both the NEW LC and the Merkur 37c to be efficient, but I wouldn't call either of them aggressive.

Here is another BRW custom Progress that is floating around in the B&B community somewhere just to get you a little more excited about custom razors :yesnod:

proxy.php

Another one of his great creations.

For some strange reason, his website is still up even though he passed away four years ago.

Another one of his great creations.

For some strange reason, his website is still up even though he passed away four years ago.

I tried the email address on his site, got a bounce back and then checked with Turtle via PM for contact info when he informed me of his passing. That's a great shame because those razors are works of art.

Top Bottom