What's new

Sometimes the best aftershave is none at all...

As anyone who looks up enough of my old posts will find, I had a lot of trouble with irritation when I was getting started with wetshaving. For the most part I beat those problems, but as winter settled on Alabama this year (such as it does), the drier air played havoc with my shaving routine and the irritation returned. It's only over the past month that I discovered the problem: I was over-moisturizing!

I've been a fan of using either CAR aftershave moisturizer (Sandalwood) or Trumper's Coral Skin Food as my aftershave for a good while now. Out of desperation I tried leaving the aftershave-application step out of my shave entirely, just rinsing the final pass's cream off the visage with hot water, then rinsing with cold water, drying and walking away. My face has loved it! I'm going on two weeks now with nary an aftershave application, and my face feels healthier and smoother (and heals razor burn and nicks more quickly) than it has in months.

I'm wondering whether anyone else has had this experience. I do miss that final application of Something Nice before walking out the door, but the absence of irritation speaks for itself. Another side to the question is: what are the lightest aftershave materials people use here? I'm increasingly convinced that my skin just doesn't need any, but in the name of my ever-encroaching SCAD I'm inclined to keep searching.

-Rich

Rich,

Good observation. True, the least amount of product you put on your face the better. If one does not need a moisturizer, skip it. If one does not need a soothing balm, skip it. Same with sunblock, if you don't need it that day, skip it.

I do a slight twist on the cold water splash step. I keep my hydrosols in the fridge. In the morning, when I get my coffee, I just grab a hydrosol bottle before I head back to the bathroom to start shaving. After the final warmwater rinse to remove the residual soap, I spritz on the cold hydrosol instead of splashing on the cold water. WOW! Invigorating and certainly wakes you up! Plus the subtle scent of the hydrosol (rose, lavender, Davinci) is great.

Plus, the hydrosols are delightfully cool when you need a refresher in the summer.

If I need a moisturizer after the shave, I will use Neutrogena Face Lotion for Men or Neutrogena Triple Protect Gel w/SPF20 if I need sunblock that day.

Basically, it comes down to: keep it simple.

Good post, Rich :smile:

Cheers,
Richard
Plano TX

Howdy Rich,
I am sure the subject really says it all. BUT, overmoisturizing? Wow! That Alabaster water must really be special!!
I find that my winter requirements are somewhat different than my warm weather requirements. Though I have more moisturizing balms laying about than Carter has little liver pills, I always try to balance my moisturing with toning, i.e. hydrosols. That is my secret to success.

guenron said:
Howdy Rich,
I am sure the subject really says it all. BUT, overmoisturizing? Wow! That Alabaster water must really be special!!

Ron,

It's some pretty special stuff, all right. :biggrin:

The thing I diagnose as overmoisturizing is a "rubbery" feel to the skin, where it may be smooth, but it has a touch of a doughy, waterlogged feel that I've found can lead to ingrowns, razor-skipping the next day (with lather that would otherwise work fine), and increased sensitivity. At first I thought I might have been using too much product (easy with the CAR cream), but even minuscule amounts seem to produce the effect, while plain old agua doesn't. I'm as mystified as anyone.

I will try the hydrosol-only idea, though: I have some Em's lavender hydrosol that I will chill for the morning.

-Rich

PoshRichM said:
Ron,

It's some pretty special stuff, all right. :biggrin:

The thing I diagnose as overmoisturizing is a "rubbery" feel to the skin, where it may be smooth, but it has a touch of a doughy, waterlogged feel that I've found can lead to ingrowns, razor-skipping the next day (with lather that would otherwise work fine), and increased sensitivity. At first I thought I might have been using too much product (easy with the CAR cream), but even minuscule amounts seem to produce the effect, while plain old agua doesn't. I'm as mystified as anyone.

I will try the hydrosol-only idea, though: I have some Em's lavender hydrosol that I will chill for the morning.

-Rich
How did it go?

I actually just availed myself of the hydrosol technique this evening (after a nice L'Occitaine CADE soap shave) in anticipation of a night out with my ladyfriend and hopeful eventual SWMBO.

So far the chilled Em's Place lavender hydrosol application seems to be doing very well, adding that extra, soothing something without leaving any overmoisturized feeling. We may have a winner--I'll check back in after the evening's activities. :biggrin:

FWIW, the lady in question is quite enamored of my ability to render myself glass-smooth, and a spritz from my prized B&B cologne sample makes for the perfect "topper." There are certainly perqs from this little pastime other than the faceturbatory kind. :thumbup1:

-Rich

Rich, you rascal :biggrin:

I am jealous of anyone who can go without aftershave - my face turns into a tight, flaky mask if I don't use something, especially in winter.

I gave up on AS long before picking up wet shaving. Prior to putting them down, I used Afta balm, primarily because the electrics I was using were very irritating. After going back to carts, I dropped AS for years. Now I'd never be without one. My skin thanks me for it. :thumbup1:

Top Bottom