What's new

Sometimes - Jnats are really hard

Sometimes - they're harder than they look.
I wanted to cleave off an angled shard so I can get a nice clean Tomo out of it.
The stone is worth this amount work, the slurry tests were quite impressive.

$Cutting Tomo 1.jpg

Smaller actually. Smaller chisel too.
I swapped out that BP for the next size down to control the hit better.
You want a 'pop' - not a smash - if that makes sense.

You want to try shaving off a flake that measures 0.5 x 0.5 x 0.125" with an angle grinder?

Great - have fun. We'll call ya stubby when ya get back from the hospital.

FWIW - there were no issues.

Coulda used a belt sander to grind it off, but real men don't resort to power tools unless it's entirely necessary.

Last edited:
Glad to hear, but if you put that in a vice you could cut it anyway you want(line with hard rubber of course ). Cut from the outside in from both sides. Piece of cake and no hospital for sure. Respirator, face mask. 1/16 loss due to kerf of the blade.

Thats pretty funny! I would suggest you be familiar with how a tool works and how to use it before you criticize it. Tell use about how yours works.

$ozuku (1).jpg
Heres a piece of ozuku asagi that I cut. Very hard, Does this look like hack work to you? And you would never be able to get the accuracy I can with a chisel.

Thats pretty funny! I would suggest you be familiar with how a tool works and how to use it before you criticize it. Tell use about how yours works.

I think you're confused - the thread wasn't about cutting the tomo, the thread is about cutting a small angled shard off the Tomo.
What's left of the little wedge of stone I needed to remove is lying on the plank.

How my tool works? The hammer/chisel combo?
Sure - that's easy - it works perfectly.

If I was too weak to handle a hammer/chisel, and I absolutely needed to rely on a power tool; I'd use a belt sander - would be a much better choice but that's hack work too. Yes - I would consider heating up this stone unneccessarily and vibrating the hell out of it with power tools to be hack work.

I've been cutting stones for roughly 48 yr. When I care about the the stone, I treat it with respect.
Floor tiles, bricks, etc - whatever. But I don't/won't handle Jnats like I do masonry or architectural materials.

Not trying to get in the middle of the peepee measuring contest, but I'd venture to say that the diamond cut-off wheel would be one hell of a lot gentler and more precise than trying to cleave off a chunk with hammer and chisel - but of course that would depend on the exact stone in question. However, I'm not one to argue over method - people should do whatever they feel works for them. I do feel that calling someone else's method hack work was out of line though.

Last edited:
Folks get pretty passionate about their methods but lets do try to be respectful of other approaches and take this particular discussion down a notch. Thanks folks.

Folks get pretty passionate about their methods but lets do try to be respectful of other approaches and take this particular discussion down a notch. Thanks folks.

+1K to that.

I've been helped by both gentlemen in one way or another in my short journey in honing. Yet this, and another thread and the accompanied sniping is uncalled for IMO.

I join you in a plea to return to gentlemanly conduct during discussion.

Frank

A wet diamond saw, the kind used for cutting gems and not the type for cutting tiles, would have been ok with one exception; the angle of this particular cut and the shape/size of this particular piece. Plus - the line to follow was curved and angled. Any straight cutting tool would have cut into the surrounding stone needlessly.

I was raised in a home where cutting gems and semi-precious stones was nearly a daily event - using a non-cooled sander or cutter to take off that shard seems like fishing for trout with hand grenades to me. Jnats are not semi-precious stones in a typical sense, but in a way, to me, they are exactly that.

Forgot to answer your first question - no, this isn't a Karasu. it's a really really nice Kiita.
Stupid nice actually, just had a couple of issues that needed to be relieved.

Using the chisel is sorta like knapping, sorta - yeah. These seams will give with the right amount of force applied correctly.
A fissure will run how it wants to, or how it's already moving. You can force it to break off cleanly though. Sometimes.
This stone wasn't fissured, the seam was a really thick Suji, they're easy when you can see the termination points. They just open up like a clam most of the time.

Trial & error practice mostly. You can see how to apply the tools after you do it several times.

Top Bottom