What's new

Sometimes it's better not knowing...

Haha don't worry, they use those all the time. Many of Creed's popular and expensive scents have this ingredient. Enjoy the whale vomit..! :001_tongu

Incidentally, I looked it up too:
<q> Currently, highest-quality ambergris is sold for $20,000 per kilogram. Compare that to gold's price – $44,000 per kilo. </q>
Now the big question is - how does one define the quality of sperm whale vomit.

Incidentally, I looked it up too:
<q> Currently, highest-quality ambergris is sold for $20,000 per kilogram. Compare that to gold's price – $44,000 per kilo. </q>
Now the big question is - how does one define the quality of sperm whale vomit.
Is anyone here a microbiologist???

I have a bottle of Ambroxan, which is a synthetic fixative that is said to smell very much like ambergris. In its concentrated form, it's absolutely foul. Like rotting fish guts and old wood.

The same is true with indoles (found in jasmine, ylang ylang and civet). In high concentrations, it smells more than a bit like rotting corpses. That's why plants secrete the smell, to attract insects.

Sometimes the best smells come from the most unlikely places. A fragrance I bought recently has coffee luwak, a/k/a civet coffee in it. Coffee beans pooped out by civet cats. Yummy.

It's more like a whale hairball.

In the middle ages, people believed it kept the plague away.

That makes sense. My memory isn't as good as it used to be but I seem to recall reading somewhere they thought the plague can be abated with pleasant scents, hence why plague doctors had the strange mosquito looking masks loaded with herbs to mask the scent. Certainly fascinating.

That makes sense. My memory isn't as good as it used to be but I seem to recall reading somewhere they thought the plague can be abated with pleasant scents, hence why plague doctors had the strange mosquito looking masks loaded with herbs to mask the scent. Certainly fascinating.

Pure ambergris is foul stuff, nothing pleasant about it. When it's diluted, it has an entirely different character.

It had more to do with Galen's medical theories than smelling pleasant per se. They believe that disease was invisible bad vapors. Some of their nostrums were unpleasant. Asafoetida was used alot to ward off plague, it's sort of like garlic but more concentrated . My brother can't stand even being around it.

Pure ambergris is foul stuff, nothing pleasant about it. When it's diluted, it has an entirely different character.

It had more to do with Galen's medical theories than smelling pleasant per se. They believe that disease was invisible bad vapors. Some of their nostrums were unpleasant. Asafoetida was used alot to ward off plague, it's sort of like garlic but more concentrated . My brother can't stand even being around it.

Oh, I see. Even more fascintating. To think many of my favorite perfumes had this ingredient. You learn new things everyday, thanks mate.

(kopi luwak is coffee made from beans extracted from civet poop).
Sometimes the best smells come from the most unlikely places. A fragrance I bought recently has coffee luwak, a/k/a civet coffee in it. Coffee beans pooped out by civet cats. Yummy.
Kopi luwak is over hyped for perceived better quality of coffee. The only consideration is, ripe coffee berries. Civets are nocturnal by nature and they forage through coffee plantations for ripest coffee berries. They feed in night and expel the berry stones under less than 4 hours which kopi hunters gather at dawn and process further; feeding rumor mill about civet coffee being best.
A friend of mine working on coffee plantation picks his berries as deep red, optimally ripe and naturally full of aroma. But this cannot be replicated for commercial production so his coffee stays as exclusive as 'only for personal consumption', rest of 'anything goes' is farmed and processed the way 99.99% coffee users drink it.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
The test is if seagulls are circling overhead. Then you have a pro with the aftershave

Kopi luwak is over hyped for perceived better quality of coffee. The only consideration is, ripe coffee berries. Civets are nocturnal by nature and they forage through coffee plantations for ripest coffee berries. They feed in night and expel the berry stones under less than 4 hours which kopi hunters gather at dawn and process further; feeding rumor mill about civet coffee being best.
A friend of mine working on coffee plantation picks his berries as deep red, optimally ripe and naturally full of aroma. But this cannot be replicated for commercial production so his coffee stays as exclusive as 'only for personal consumption', rest of 'anything goes' is farmed and processed the way 99.99% coffee users drink it.

I was wondering how much of the Kopi Luwak thing was hyperbole. I’ve never drank the coffee, so I can’t compare it to regular coffee. The fragrance I referred to is stunning, but I can’t say how much of that is attributable to the method of harvesting the coffee.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've had a synthetic, enzymatic weasel coffee. It was the best coffee I've tasted. I believe it's called Legendee by Trung Nguyen. I tend to ask for it for my birthday.

Vietnam makes my favorite coffee. They grow alot of arabica and excelsior, and they use slower roasting to medium-dark roasts. So it's naturally lower in acid. But the weasel coffee was like that, only with hardly any acidity.

Top Bottom