What's new

Sometimes getting smarter makes you feel dumb!

Since my first wet shave, I have been a build-the-lather-on-the-face kind of guy. It's a hands on method, and one that I wholeheartedly believed was the best way for me. On the few occasions that I did try building my lather in a bowl, my results were never nearly as good. Over many shaves and months, I managed to reach a very pleasing level of lathering skill and have been happy with the corresponding shaves. That is until...

Last night I was having trouble falling asleep, so I came downstairs and started looking through our forum. There weren't many folks on-line (very few members, mostly guests) and I had already read all of the new postings for the day, so I decided to review some of the older posts. After a while, I stumbled back across Joel's Comprehensive guide to building superlative lather! I vaguely remembered having read this post back when I was a non-member lurker, but my knowledge level at the time was so low that I wasn't able fully process the value of this post. Upon first opening the thread I couldn't help but think, "Poor Joel. He has an excellent knowledge of shaving, but the guy is using a bowl to lather. He just doesn't know what he's missing." I read the post, then read it again, and finally read it one more time. As stated before, my much improved shaving knowledge was finally allowing me to really appreciate the quality and attention to detail shown in this article. I enjoyed the read, but still had no intention of making my lather in a bowl like a girly-man.

This morning, while standing in front of the bathroom mirror, I performed my shave prep, removed my brush from its hot soak, loaded it with cream and began to swirl it on my face. About three swirls in, with the smell of Taylor's Avocado radiating out from my steamy brush, I involuntarily reached for my shaving bowl and decided, what the hey, I'll try bowl lathering this morning. Like an idiot savant of lather building, I created a lather so beautiful that upon completion I shed a single tear. It was huge and billowy but still thick in consistency and not even remotely dry or airy. Every good thing that you have ever experienced in a lather was in my bowl this morning, and the shave achieved with it was better than punching a mime.

For the rest of the day my thoughts were consumed with how absolutely stupid I have been. I realize when performing a new activity, people will usually stick with the first method used that achieves satisfactory performance, but damn. I'm thrilled that I've had this moment of epiphany, and at the same time, I'm disgusted that it has taken me so long to quit being an idiot (very similar to how I felt when I first discovered wet shaving).

So to all of the posters in this forum, thank you for your posts. Day by day your cumulative knowledge is helping to stomp out my ignorance. For all of you out there who haven't tried bowl lathering, read Joel's post and give it a shot.

Kyle,
Your experience trascends a mere epiphany.. It is a crossing over to the Right(eous) Side. Even as a teenager, some time shortly after the invention of fire, I can remember building my Yardleys in a bowl.. Ah, I can almost smell that lovely brew... Still using a lather bowl and still enjoying it.

the part i like the best of building the lather in a bowl is keeping it warm, nothing like hot lather on every pass. i do it the el cheapo way too, as shown in the pics i make my lather in the bowl and then float it over the hottest water i can muster in that plastic cup, works great for $5

I was actually doing the same thing last night, parsing posts trying to become familiar with the several terms /products /tools used in wet shaving when I read Joel's post. It was the first time I see this method 'using a bowl that is', I always thought creating the lather directly on the face is how it's done.
Clearly the quality and appearance of foam that I saw in pictures are no match to the foam that can be created over the face, however is it only about the quality and consistancy of the lather? Doesn't rubbing or massaging the face with the brush has some benefits, like for example clean the skin better, help circulation, or if the beard was a bit long help the lather penetrate more, especially if there is hairs that are flat and close to the skin, maybe the brush will help 'raise' those hairs for a closer shave?

Just thoughts, and since so far I have been wrong in most of what I know about shaving, any suggestions or insights are much appreciated.

kachmar said:
Doesn't rubbing or massaging the face with the brush has some benefits, like for example clean the skin better, help circulation, or if the beard was a bit long help the lather penetrate more, especially if there is hairs that are flat and close to the skin, maybe the brush will help 'raise' those hairs for a closer shave?

All of these things are correct, and I should have better clarified my entire process. After building this amazing lather in my bowl, I then squashed the brush flat against my face and applied the lather in a circular, scrubbing motion (I did this for nearly a full minute before the first pass). For my second and third passes, I used the brush in a painting fashion. Others may have techniques that vary from this, but this worked VERY well for me.

Kyle, I agree. Joel's post helped me a bunch after I first read it. Too bad he doesn't have a cure for insomnia, as well.

Hey Guys,

Today was day two of lathing in the bowl, and it was just as fantastic as day one. This morning I purposefully used one of the creams that I have found to be a little less lubricating so that I could really test things out. To my delight, this method of lathering has made it a much more friendly cream. With the old lather method, I've always had to be very careful as I shaved my neck to avoid over shaving and irritating the area. Today I made 3 extra passes on my neck (not really necessary, but I wanted to push the limits a little) and had zero irritation.

More than ever, I am really learning to appreciate what a quality lather can do for you. For those of you who are still new to wet shaving and having some irritation problems, revisit your lathering process and results. A great lather can cover a multitude of sins.

Top Bottom