What's new

Something up? Huge difference between my 195 and Slim….

Might as well ask here (related so it shouldn't derail the thread).
I've got a '62 slim and a 76' Super adjustable and just received my first Fatboy today. It's a '59!
Had my first shave with the Fatboy tonight and it felt slightly more aggressive than the Slim & Super adjustable.
All three on setting #5 and Wilkinson German blades.
All are in perfect shape!
Is this because of the weight difference or do they have any differences in the heads, gap etc..?
The heads look the same to me!
The blade gap chart at Gilletteadjustable.com shows the following:
On #5 the Fatboy is .025, The Slim is .027 and the Super adjustable is .031
That means that theoretically the Super adjustable should be the most aggressive feeling, followed by the Slim and then the Fatboy. My Slim and Super adjustable feel exactly the same and like I said, the Fatboy slightly more aggressive!
Congrats on the Fatboy….I’m wondering if it’s just a matter of getting used to it and adjusting the angle of attack. The larger head does have a slightly different feel than the slim or super, at least to me. 😉

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Congrats on the Fatboy….I’m wondering if it’s just a matter of getting used to it and adjusting the angle of attack. The larger head does have a slightly different feel than the slim or super, at least to me. 😉
I had a *giggle* Fatboy for years that some generous gentleman on here paid too much money for to the St. Sue auction last year? Anyway, it was in really decent user grade condition, I think anyway. I had a grand total of one really nice shave out of it. Another awesome gent on here gifted me a Slim. IT is just plain kinder to my incredibly handsome face, and easier to fit under my incredibly handsome nose, than the Fatperson Razor ever was.

It takes all kinds in this here place called Badger and Blade, and I know this because the folks in my head had a vote, and it was unanimous....well, except for Freddie. He's a contrarian.

Damn that triggered my curiosity…
Here's what I learned from Alum Ladd. I was so used to my vintage Gillettes, I'd never really thought about angles and was using the EJ the same as my Gillettes which wasn't working. You can follow a bit more of the conversation in that thread but this was the relevant post:

The heads are different with the Slim having, at the least, a lower height. Unless both razors are claibrated the exact same way (if that's possible), it wouldn't surprise me that both set on "X" number might perform differently. I don't pay enough attention to those details to say with any certainty.

I used to play jazz piano on various gigs which meant I'd play whatever piano was provided by the venue. If you know anything about pianos, they can be quite different from each other. Some of these pianos were great - good action, well tuned. Others, not so much. There's a saying in that world that you play the gig, meaning, you adapt to whatever piano is provided. That's how I approach shaving, assuming that makes any sense. But what it means to me is that I've used so many razors over the years that it usually takes me just a few swipes to adapt to the razor. That said, until very recently, I couldn't get my EJ DE89 to work well for me until a member here gave me a tip that I should have already known. And now, I've adapted to that razor too.
Well, I guess I hadn't noticed the head heights. Definitely different!
Thanks to your post, I looked more carefully at both razors.
Top cap on the 195 is rounder/taller.
And on equal settings (#5), I can see that the bottom plates sit at different heights.
I guess that explains my concern!

Here's what I learned from Alum Ladd. I was so used to my vintage Gillettes, I'd never really thought about angles and was using the EJ the same as my Gillettes which wasn't working. You can follow a bit more of the conversation in that thread but this was the relevant post:

Thanks!

That may well be the case, and if so, I apologize for my misreading of it. 😉
Some people prefer the 195 and some prefer the Slim. I have no issue with that, since i have both. What was upsetting was the first picture showing what looks like a build up in the bar serrations, plus enough build up of what looked like soap scum or mineral deposits. There was a spot where it had flaked off to show underlying metal. Crud and soap scum builds up, but when the complaint is that Slim doesn't work at all, it's likely to be in need of soaking and cleaning before the final thumbs down verdict is reached.
I refurbish and rehab razors, and was upset that the appearance of neglected razor was also blamed on 'being in storage'.
I found that soap scum photo to be upsetting and offensive, hence my reply
I wrongly assumed that an adult could roll with criticism and maybe learn from it.
To remove Soap Scum, Scrubbing Bubbles spray, a short soak and some scrubbing with a toothbrush should clean up the exterior nicely. It looks like a razor in otherwise fine condition. If there is mineral deposit build up inside the razor, a QUICK dip into CLR will help loosen it up. Do NOT allow it to soak for more than a minute or 2, since it will damage the plating. NEVER use vinegar, since it dissolves nickel.
Further soaking in Dawn dish soap will help, as will blowing out the razor after rinse with compressed air. A couple of drops of 3 in 1 oil may also smooth out the razor action. I suspect that the razor adjustment was frozen up due to accumulation of stuff.
Try it, and after more use, repeat the dish soap soak and relube, as any accumulation inside the razor may be loosening up enough to remove.

Well, I guess I hadn't noticed the head heights. Definitely different!
Thanks to your post, I looked more carefully at both razors.
Top cap on the 195 is rounder/taller.
And on equal settings (#5), I can see that the bottom plates sit at different heights.
I guess that explains my concern!
The wonders of a youtube review pointing this out! That's what made me break down and add the Slim. I wanted to see what the difference was and whether I would notice. I did just a tiny bit but that's me and my powers of observation and attention to detail. This is why I could have never been a Green Beret or SEAL (not to mention I'm a total wuss...).

...A couple of drops of 3 in 1 oil may also smooth out the razor action...
I removed the rest of your post to comment specifically on this (although I'd stay away from CLR too).
My suggestion would be to NOT use any machine oil on something that will be going on your skin. Use mineral oil instead, more hygienic and, IMO, has equally good lubrication. Will machine oil kill you? No but wouldn't one rather use something like mineral oil which is digestible and won't smell?

The rest of your post aside from these two comments (CLR and machine oil) was spot on. I've restored a few razors in my time but the ones I own were either cleaned up by someone else or simply better taken care of. The worst I recall with one of my personal razors was getting rid of soap scum, a little lube, and a light micro fiber cloth polish (no compounds).

The wonders of a youtube review pointing this out! That's what made me break down and add the Slim. I wanted to see what the difference was and whether I would notice. I did just a tiny bit but that's me and my powers of observation and attention to detail. This is why I could have never been a Green Beret or SEAL (not to mention I'm a total wuss...).
The differences between the Slim and Fatboy are minimal (at least for me to judge which one is better). So I like them both equally. The weight and width is what I most feel and I will use them based on what I feel like using that day.
Shave quality/smoothness feels the same. And I think the Fatboy, 1 notch less on the setting should feel somewhat equivalent to the Slim. I'm gonna try that tonight!

The differences between the Slim and Fatboy are minimal (at least for me to judge which one is better). So I like them both equally. The weight and width is what I most feel and I will use them based on what I feel like using that day.
Shave quality/smoothness feels the same. And I think the Fatboy, 1 notch less on the setting should feel somewhat equivalent to the Slim. I'm gonna try that tonight!
Only two shaves in with my Slim but dozens and dozens with my 195, I think you've got a pretty good take on it. Neither is better in my opinion or more fun to use. Both are great and I'm glad I finally added the Slim after years of not buying a 'new' razor.

I removed the rest of your post to comment specifically on this (although I'd stay away from CLR too).
My suggestion would be to NOT use any machine oil on something that will be going on your skin. Use mineral oil instead, more hygienic and, IMO, has equally good lubrication. Will machine oil kill you? No but wouldn't one rather use something like mineral oil which is digestible and won't smell?

The rest of your post aside from these two comments (CLR and machine oil) was spot on. I've restored a few razors in my time but the ones I own were either cleaned up by someone else or simply better taken care of. The worst I recall with one of my personal razors was getting rid of soap scum, a little lube, and a light micro fiber cloth polish (no compounds).
Good point. In a Youtube I recently watched from Matt at Razor Emporium, he mentioned specifically mineral oil. Either way, a little goes a long way & you don't want it dripping out. There's an argument that Gillette never lubricated their newly manufactured razors - true, but they didn't preload them internally with soap scum and mineral deposits.
I mentioned 3 in 1 out of habit. I've found it excels where spendier lubes fail. I shoot a lot of flintlock rifles, and it's been long recommended to use a drop or 2 of 3 in 1 in critical areas. A study showed 3 in 1 reduced lock movement time for quicker ignition better than other spendy or even synthetic gun oils.

Doubtful - in fact if word gets around that you shave with REAL sharp razor blades, you'll likely be regarded as a 21st Century Iron Man.

• Haha
Reactions: CCS
3-in-1 is great machine oil. I've used it for many, many years (guns and bikes as well), just not where something organic will better (kitchen shears, manual can openers, and the like).

Some people prefer the 195 and some prefer the Slim. I have no issue with that, since i have both. What was upsetting was the first picture showing what looks like a build up in the bar serrations, plus enough build up of what looked like soap scum or mineral deposits. There was a spot where it had flaked off to show underlying metal. Crud and soap scum builds up, but when the complaint is that Slim doesn't work at all, it's likely to be in need of soaking and cleaning before the final thumbs down verdict is reached.
I refurbish and rehab razors, and was upset that the appearance of neglected razor was also blamed on 'being in storage'.
I found that soap scum photo to be upsetting and offensive, hence my reply
I wrongly assumed that an adult could roll with criticism and maybe learn from it.
To remove Soap Scum, Scrubbing Bubbles spray, a short soak and some scrubbing with a toothbrush should clean up the exterior nicely. It looks like a razor in otherwise fine condition. If there is mineral deposit build up inside the razor, a QUICK dip into CLR will help loosen it up. Do NOT allow it to soak for more than a minute or 2, since it will damage the plating. NEVER use vinegar, since it dissolves nickel.
Further soaking in Dawn dish soap will help, as will blowing out the razor after rinse with compressed air. A couple of drops of 3 in 1 oil may also smooth out the razor action. I suspect that the razor adjustment was frozen up due to accumulation of stuff.
Try it, and after more use, repeat the dish soap soak and relube, as any accumulation inside the razor may be loosening up enough to remove.
So my first impression was correct. I never said “I hate Slims” and I have no problem with criticism, but have no tolerance or time for people who lash out with rudeness and ugliness toward others. If you’re not capable of putting it in a more polite and constructive way, then that’s sad.

So my first impression was correct. I never said “I hate Slims” and I have no problem with criticism, but have no tolerance or time for people who lash out with rudeness and ugliness toward others. If you’re not capable of putting it in a more polite and constructive way, then that’s sad.
Bud, that wasn't rude or ugly towards you, it was an honest opinion of what he saw.

Might as well ask here (related so it shouldn't derail the thread).
I've got a '62 slim and a 76' Super adjustable and just received my first Fatboy today. It's a '59!
Had my first shave with the Fatboy tonight and it felt slightly more aggressive than the Slim & Super adjustable.
All three on setting #5 and Wilkinson German blades.
All are in perfect shape!
Is this because of the weight difference or do they have any differences in the heads, gap etc..?
The heads look the same to me!
The blade gap chart at Gilletteadjustable.com shows the following:
On #5 the Fatboy is .025, The Slim is .027 and the Super adjustable is .031
That means that theoretically the Super adjustable should be the most aggressive feeling, followed by the Slim and then the Fatboy. My Slim and Super adjustable feel exactly the same and like I said, the Fatboy slightly more aggressive!
All three might look to you to be in a perfect shape, but one (or it could even be two or three) of your adjustables is not calibrated right. Those things happen when the razor sustains hit (usually dropped). A very common problem with the Super Adjustables, less so with the Slims. The safety bar gets bent, and although it might seem to you like everything is fine, you already don't have the factory gaps after the hit.
I even bought an unused boxed Super Adjustable that has been dropped. Someone played with it too much obviously. The @9 setting was like @14-15.
The Fatboy can't be more aggressive than the Slim and the Super Adjustable. You saw those gaps at the site and they are correct.

Is the quarter turn locking mechanism working properly. If not the blade gap could be greater than you want. Sometimes the razor might seem closed when twisted tight, but if the last quarter turn function is broke, it won't set the blade gap properly. But the last quarter turn is critical to the razor functioning properly. I have several Slims, Fatboys and Super Adjustables. I have experienced the last quarter turn failure on only one of them and maintenance was required to get it working again. Just a thought

Top Bottom