What's new

Something Traditional from Home...

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I usually cook for me and SWMBO and I always keep a special look for something different. My main passion in the kitchen goes for Mexican and Italian food. I've been through the Rick Bayless encyclopedia of Mexican cooking(Authentic Mexican 20th Anniversary Ed: Regional Cooking from the Heart of Mexico) and a few chefs in Italian cooking.

I'm not a chef, I would call myself an amateur cook at best. I do spend a lot of time in the kitchen, when I'm not shaving... :001_rolle

However, I do not stop myself to those two cuisines. I would like to know what do you do that's a bit traditional at home. Something that you don't necessary see everywhere? I'm looking for something you like that you won't see often in a restaurant.

I'll start with an example.

For brekkie, I often do 2 types of Huevo Rancheros.
  • Variation #1 - Tortilla toasted in the over, one layer of mashed beans, one layer of avocado (guacamole), one layer of salsa, 1 poached egg (yellow still runny), a bit of cheese. Back in the oven for 2-3 mins to melt the cheese
  • Variation #2 - Omelet with what I can find (salsa if possible). I heat up my tortilla in the microwave with a damp towel so it's soft. Omelet goes it, eat it like a wrap.

I did something called the German Farmer brekkie. I thought it was very nice but SWMBO is not a fan of potatoes: http://simplyrecipes.com/recipes/german_farmers_breakfast/

One morning, Jacques Pépin was making pasta garlic and oil with a poached egg on top (that's a regular during the week-end when I have left-over pasta).

What else? Egg Benedict! Those are not very hard to do, the sauce is very easy and require a minimum of ingredients. I can now make that sauce and it would take me the same time if I would buy the powder at the supermarket, add water and microwave... Homemade taste better!

That's breakfast! Sure, I eat regular food sometimes such as a bunch of fruits, toasts with Tahiti, peanut butter or jam...

Other meals?
Well, some places might have it but I don't see it often at the restaurant, even the specialized one...

Chorizo con papas (recipe) is one of my favourite lunch. If you have a slight interest in Mexican cuisine, try this one, easy to make and taste awesome!

I also like the two variations of Cochinita Pibil (Rick Bayless - Recipe) or Puerco Pibil (Robert Rodriguez - Recipe - Youtube). For both those dish, the key spice is Annatto seeds...

Sure, I do most of my Italian classics too (Spaghetti Bolognaise, Spaghetti meatballs, Macaroni and cheese, Pasta Fagioli, Canelloni, etc.). Pasta homemade where I can.

If I would be in Québec, I would have or make Poutine... It's something that you will find in North America very easily but down under, not really. I'm not sure in Europe either...

No need to dig too far, I was very happy to know about Cornbread the other day as I heard about it before but never made/ate any... I'm now very proud to say that I made some and loved it. Thanks to this forum! :thumbup1:

What I am still doing down here? Well, I often find out new food while I read books. I found the Huevo Rancheros while reading Cormac McCarthy. Puerco Pibil while watching Once upon a time in Mexico... etc... I'm almost done but not quite, many know that I'm reading the girl with the dragon tattoo... They eat a lot of sandwiches in that book! Coffee and sandwiches, non-stop! Surely, there must be more to Swedish food than that? I made some Swedish meatballs the other day, it was nice but then, I'm falling into the IKEA Swedish meatballs cliché I think. I found most of my recipes by accident! I watched a movie the other day and they were having Beef Stroganoff... So I had to do it. I accidentally found this recipe as I typed Stroganov instead of Stroganoff. I did it and enjoyed it a lot. I did that because I realized that I never ate that meal before. I tweaked that recipe for 3 years and now, I think that I get it better, I changed tiny bits here and there. I probably tried 15 different mustard in there...

Here's the question if you didn't want to read the above (I can write too much sometimes...)

So, keeping in mind that I like to try something new, let's say that I would be visiting you in one of my crazy search for wetshaving supplies and we need to stop somewhere to grab brekkie, lunch, dinner or a snack, what would it be? Something local? Something traditional? If you would be coming to my place, I would probably make one of the above (or many depending how long the visit is :laugh:)

Link to a recipe is appreciated!

Luc, have you tried Chile Verde? It's pretty simple, boil tomatillos (small green and tomato like), anahiem chiles, and green chiles. Depending on your spice likes, jalapenos or seranos are a good choice and play around with whatever spices you like such as cumin and garlic. Blend those up, add small cubed pork and you have a good meal. Machaca is very good also and works any time of day.

Luc

Staff member
Luc, have you tried Chile Verde? It's pretty simple, boil tomatillos (small green and tomato like), anahiem chiles, and green chiles. Depending on your spice likes, jalapenos or seranos are a good choice and play around with whatever spices you like such as cumin and garlic. Blend those up, add small cubed pork and you have a good meal. Machaca is very good also and works any time of day.

Ah yes, Chile Verde, love it. Rick Bayless have a few variations that I tried and it's very nice. Tomatillos are very interesting and different than regular tomatoes. In a salsa, they are awesome. They are bit difficult to get down under but I still know a place.

Thanks for the recipe, I will need to try that one!

Luc

Staff member
I like to make Eggs Benedict for breakfast and I make my own Canadian bacon.

I'd be interested to know how you make bacon?

One of my favourite Mexican dishes - Chile con carne!! So simple and oh so good!

Yes, I have that one on the menu this week! :thumbup1:

Top Bottom