What's new

Something to tackle MWF

Hello all,

I know this is a well talked about subject already, but after looking at several different threads, I couldn't find one to my specific needs. So I decided to post a new thread. Also, I'm not trying to stir up any Badger vs. Boar madness on here, so stay away from that.

With that being said, now for my question.

I'm looking for a good boar brush to serve primarily as a face lather brush using soaps, in particular MWF. I've narrowed down my search to know that I'm looking for a small-medium brush. Somewhere around the 20-22mm knot and somewhere around 50mm loft. I would like nice medium sized handle that is comfortable in my hand and also aesthetically pleasing that I can show off on the countertop.

Now here is were the YMMV come into play. I know there is a plethora of various makers. I have been eyeing Semogue, but then again I am open to every maker of boar out there.

1. What boar brush do you enjoy using with soaps?
  2. How has this brush changed over time. (Has it softened up over time, If so how long? Have you found it to loose alot of hairs? etc..)
  3. How does the brush perform. (How well does it hold soap, water? How many passes can you get? etc...)

I know that these questions are fairly redundant, but I wanted to ask so that I could make a decision based on my specific desires.

Thanks so much.

The only boar brush I get 4 passes from is my omega pro. Is there some reason you think boars work better for soaps?

I had a Rudy Vey custom Tulip 3 with a D01 shavemac knot and that knot murdered any soap I put it up against. The only reason I sold it was that the knot was too scritchy for my taste at the time. Now Im kicking myself but of course, Hindsight is 20/20.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I like my Semogue 830. It has super soft tips, enough backbone to load MWF, and looks ok with the plexi handle. It very rarely sheds. I don't face lather, but it holds and releases lather nicely.

I also have an SOC, and it has more backbone than the 830, but is slightly less soft tip-wise. I expect it to break in eventually and match the 830 soon.

I use a Semogue SOC brush and it works wonders with MWF. The knot is 24mm so it may be too big for what you are wanting. It took about a month to break it in - it didn't lather well at all at first but now it is one of my best. Like all boars, you have to soak it for a few minutes before use - that makes it badger soft on my face. It has shed only a couple of bristles and that was in the first week only. I get three good passes out of this brush with MWF and I face lather with it.

On the topic of MWF: if I've been away from it for awhile, it takes about three days of daily use for the puck to rehydrate for optimum performance. It wants to be an everyday soap. I am currently working through several samples but this fall and winter I am planning on using MWF as part of a 30-day per soap rotation. It works better that way.

The only boar brush I get 4 passes from is my omega pro. Is there some reason you think boars work better for soaps?

I mainly use soaps. So I wanted to say that the brush would primarily be used with soap rather than creams. MWF is harder to lather than most soaps in my experience. I like using a badger but I wanted to try a boar. I also like the idea--for some odd reason-- of breaking them in and making them mine (almost like having a bond with the brush).

I'm looking for a good boar brush to serve primarily as a face lather brush using soaps, in particular MWF. I've narrowed down my search to know that I'm looking for a small-medium brush. Somewhere around the 20-22mm knot and somewhere around 50mm loft. I would like nice medium sized handle that is comfortable in my hand and also aesthetically pleasing that I can show off on the countertop.

Now here is were the YMMV come into play. I know there is a plethora of various makers. I have been eyeing Semogue, but then again I am open to every maker of boar out there.

1. What boar brush do you enjoy using with soaps?
  2. How has this brush changed over time. (Has it softened up over time, If so how long? Have you found it to loose alot of hairs? etc..)
  3. How does the brush perform. (How well does it hold soap, water? How many passes can you get? etc...)

1. What boar brush do you enjoy using with soaps? omega 10066 and 10275
  2. How has this brush changed over time. (Has it softened up over time, If so how long? Have you found it to loose alot of hairs? etc..) 275 has soft tips from the start. 66 takes about 2-3 weeks to break in. Both lost some hairs over the months but that is because of the ocassional rough handling when I lather in bowl. Both can be used comfortably for face lathering
  3. How does the brush perform. (How well does it hold soap, water? How many passes can you get? etc...) more than 3 passes if you load sufficiently long.

Best performers for me are:
Semogue 2011 LE 2 Boar
Shavemac Custom D01 24 x 52
I can also get a decent lather with Shavemac Silvertip

I used my Semogue 2011 LE style 1 a few days ago with MWF.

I had to go back to the puck during the shave (not uncommon for MWF and me).

There is no reason you can't do a half dozen more swirls of the soap during the shave. I mean there is no soap law that says once you load the brush you are on your own. If you need more product during your shave (you are getting a thin lather) stick the brush back on the puck.

proxy.php

I have a Semogue 1438. I am a total newbie, so I can't say too much about the characteristics. It has a 50mm loft, and a short handle. I get three passes without reloading, although the third is a little thin. I don't mind reloading.:001_smile I've used it three times, and have noticed it lost two hairs. I find the handle a bit hard to keep a hold of since it is pretty short, however I did not want something with voluptuous curves, and this is ideal. The paint is quite attractive as well. All that being said, I think the 1305 would be easier to hold, and has very nice looking paint, I find the paint on the Semogues sort of vintage looking.

I am quite happy with this brush.

Last edited:
Personally, my favorite boar right now is the Semogue 1470, a plain vanilla, no nonsense brush. It does a great job with soaps.

I have a Semogue 1438. I am a total newbie, so I can't say too much about the characteristics. It has a 50mm loft, and a short handle. I get three passes without reloading, although the third is a little thin. I don't mind reloading.:001_smile I've used it three times, and have noticed it lost two hairs. I find the handle a bit hard to keep a hold of since it is pretty short, however I did not want something with voluptuous curves, and this is ideal. The paint is quite attractive as well. All that being said, I think the 1305 would be easier to hold, and has very nice looking paint, I find the paint on the Semogues sort of vintage looking.

I am quite happy with this brush.

I ended up going with the 1438. I was down between that and the 1305, but ultimately I wanted a little shorter loft than the 1305 offered. If I like the 1438 then I will probably pull the trigger on the 1305 as well.

Thanks for everybody's help

I think that you will find that with a little practice you should be able to load MWF with almost any brush (not that it is a bad thing to have a few different brushes to try :biggrin1: )

I ended up going with the 1438. I was down between that and the 1305, but ultimately I wanted a little shorter loft than the 1305 offered. If I like the 1438 then I will probably pull the trigger on the 1305 as well.

Thanks for everybody's help

I'm in the opposite seat! I got myself a 1305 and I wanted a 1438 as well and as much as I love the 1305 it is just a bit too high in the loft for me so I'll probably get a 1438 sometime or some other smaller brush!

Top Bottom