What's new

Something similar to the Feather Popular, but heavier build

I've been using a Feather Popular since I started DE shaving. I've also tried some other low-cost razors from Lord and Baili, but I keep coming back to the Feather Popular. I'm not a collector, and I'm fine sticking with the Popular. However, I'm wondering if there is something a little heavier that would give the same shave. I'm not that worried about the longevity of the Popular as much as the light weight. I find myself at times getting a little heavy handed simply because of how light the razor is...but, in spite of that, it still shaves great! I think that the reason that I like it is because of the angle of the blade. There seems to be a pretty good bend in the blade. After looking around, I'm wondering if the Razorock Mamba .53 or .70 might be similar. Any thoughts?

Again, I'm very happy with the Popular. Maybe I should just stick with the Popular and buy a backup in case they ever change it.

mikhou

I should have asked for thoughts on either of those razors or others that you would deem similar to the shave of the Feather Popular. I'm not stuck on a TTO. I just like the way that the Popular shaves. Thanks.

The feather as-d2, weighs around 10-15 times as much as the popular I think and quite pricy. You might really like a post war gillette tech, or superspeed gillette blue tip(might be too light though aluminum handle) for vintage cheaper options.

FWIW --

If you're looking for a lightweight, small-headed, fairly mild DE razor, the RazoRock Lupo Aluminum might do the trick. It's machined, rather mild (I think it's milder than an EJ DE89, by a bit), works well with Feather blades. It's inexpensive, as machined razors go.

. Charles

PS -- I haven't shaved with anything else, since I got mine.

A vintage Schick Krona is probably the closest thing to the Feather Popular, and can be easily found for little money

I love my Krona, it’s so smooth and gives a comfortable close shave every time.

Not a heavy weight, but it feels balanced and sturdy at about 39g. A Gillette Super Speed provides a similar shave and is a little heavier

FWIW --

If you're looking for a lightweight, small-headed, fairly mild DE razor, the RazoRock Lupo Aluminum might do the trick. It's machined, rather mild (I think it's milder than an EJ DE89, by a bit), works well with Feather blades. It's inexpensive, as machined razors go.

. Charles

PS -- I haven't shaved with anything else, since I got mine.

Either a Lupo or a Game Changer. I've only used the Game Changer myself, but it's looking more and more like you can't go wrong with either.

Used the Popular for about 3 years and I'd say Rockwell 6SR2. Until I tried the R1 plate I didn't believe there could exist a razor even milder that still cuts.

If you like the Popular i think, without having tried, the feather as-d2 will fit. Also the Rockwell 6s on milder plates is a a good idea.

I would suggest trying the ASD2. For me, with a Feather blade, it delivers a great easy shave.

Have you considered simply obtaining a heavier handle for use with the Popular head ?

A TTO razor that is about the same in aggressiveness as the Popular would be a Parker 29L.
I have the Popular and Parker 29L and the Parker is all metal, heavier, and as mild as the Popular.

The AS/D2 is a marvelous razor, more than worth the premium price.

Other razors I've used: the Tech deserves it's fabled reputation; the EJ DE89 is an excellent Tech-like modern razor; and the RR GC .68 is an all stainless version of the same thing. All three of these get a tiny bit more aggressive, in that order. I wanted to like the Mamba 70 but frankly it always felt weird to me.

I think the popular is one of the best modern TTO’s. I not we’ll versed in TTOs but I don’t think there’s much in modern production that comes close to the value of the Popular. If you want a similar shallow angle shaver, the AS D2 is a good option. An Ikon B1 OC isn’t as smooth but it’s close, and it’s a shallow angle razor. If you flexible on the shave angle, A Razorock GC68, BBS or Mamba 73, EJ DE89 or Muhle R89, Merkur Safety Bar, Fatip Gentile, Henson AL13 come to mind.

Personally if I was going to find fault with Feather razors, it’s the inflexible shallow shave angle.

I've got a Gillette Tech (late 40's) that I am having re-plated at the moment. It shaves really well. You can find these very inexpensively. I've seen some go for as low as $12 needing re-plating and upwards of $40 in super shape needing nothing at all. They are solid brass and are a lot heavier than your Popular, but not as heavy as a Pearl Flexi or Gillette Fatboy. It is a three piece razor and shaves better than my Gillette Slim (for me). Odd, I know, but true.

I personally love the Edwin Jagger DE89. It is heavy enough for the razor to do the work. However, it has a zamax head and won't last a lifetime. They shave fantastically, though.

I eventually ended up with a Henson. It costs the same as the EJ DE89, though lighter. It won't wear out, ever. It comes in colors, and the shave is a miracle. You really can't mess up. Just keep the angle provided and the razor will suck down on your face and glide across it like a hockey puck over ice. If you feel the blade, you are not cutting efficiently. If you don't feel it, you are getting a great shave.

I would suggest trying the ASD2. For me, with a Feather blade, it delivers a great easy shave.

Have you considered simply obtaining a heavier handle for use with the Popular head ?

+3! Christmas is coming!! And you ’deserve’ an upgrade to the AS/D2 IMHO!! :thumbup1::thumbup1:

Top Bottom