What's new

Something I noticed today. A bit of 1930's Gillette design genius at work in response to indoor plumbing?

I was shaving with a 1930's Otto Roth (New York) New and during the rinse noticed how the running water is channeled sideways and outward, taking excess soap and cut beard with it. In 1920 only 1% of U.S. homes had indoor plumbing. I haven't tested earlier Gillette razors to see how the water is directed but I suspect a design change for the New line was made to take advantage of running water in homes, which became widely available (even to rural areas) by the 1930's in the US.
Gillette Genius.jpg

Last edited:

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I can’t imaging water pressure was as high as it is today in homes back in the 30’s. What you’re seeing has a lot to do with it. Sure it might channel the water still, but would it be enough to move the soap & beard hair? Who knows.

I can’t imaging water pressure was as high as it is today in homes back in the 30’s. What you’re seeing has a lot to do with it. Sure it might channel the water still, but would it be enough to move the soap & beard hair? Who knows.
Good point. Curious to try a test on low pressure after a few days of growth. Any idea what water pressure was back then when they first started moving from iron to copper pipes?

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Copper came along mostly in the late 50’s to 60’s. Before that it was galvanized steel primarily. I suppose water pressure in apartment buildings likely would be the same back then as it is now. Since the tanks are on the top of the building. Water pressure to the apartments wouldn't change much I bet because it’s the height of the water tank that determines the pressure. I bet it fluctuated a lot for single family homes where they depend on a water tower built somewhere in the city. And depend on no leaks in the system.

I have no idea what it was back then. Now it’s usually 50-90 PSI. Minimum pressure required by code is 20 PSI at the house. Most codes anyway. That’s to prevent backflow but 20psi is low low.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Interesting. I normally have a full basin of water and swish the razor around in the water to rinse it off.

The New Improved from the 20's also features the grooves behind the comb and corner standoffs on the cap. Back then just about everyone except the well off swished in a bowl to rinse. The design change made for easier rinsing since water flows above and below the blade in the space created, but not necessarily in running water from a tap. Could be an unexpected lagniappe, or a forward thinking design. Either way I will look at these a little differently now. They are new and improved in one regard. Too bad it doesn't translate into a better blade against skin feel for me at least.
1610077813403.jpg
1610077931339.jpg

The New Improved from the 20's also features the grooves behind the comb and corner standoffs on the cap. Back then just about everyone except the well off swished in a bowl to rinse. The design change made for easier rinsing since water flows above and below the blade in the space created, but not necessarily in running water from a tap. Could be an unexpected lagniappe, or a forward thinking design. Either way I will look at these a little differently now. They are new and improved in one regard. Too bad it doesn't translate into a better blade against skin feel for me at least.View attachment 1205659View attachment 1205660

Great point!! :punk: :punk:

Top Bottom