What's new

something i find funny.

Looking at pictures something funny come to kind. I am sure I do it as well, but how many blades do We really need? I am sure the majority of people have more razor blades than they will everything use in a lifetime. Let's say you only get 3 shaves out of a blade and you shave Once a day. A 100 pack will last you most of a year. My question is why do We have So many blades? There are people that give a ton of them away and I understand that.but We still hoard more than We will ever need.

I have been known to toss a 100 pack on an order to get to the free shipping level. And there is always the fear your favorite blade will be discontinued.

I have found that my blades still do well for 7 days at least but I use them only 4 or 5. I have not tried them longer but that may be ok too. Compared to cartridges they are cheap. In cartridge days I was always low on stock. They were costly in stores and I never picked up more than a pack at a time. Now that shaving is a hobby I have a collection of blades - and creams, and brushes, and soaps. I have not made a fresh count of blades lately but it keeps getting closer to 1000, and 200+ twin blade cartridges. At my rate of use that would be 5000 days or so, or more than 13 years. Given the age I have reached, the close calls I have already had, and the shape I am in, there is at least a 50-50 chance that my blades will outlive me. If somebody has the chore of going through the belongings in my humble surroundings, they will wonder why I had so much weird shaving stuff.

Its like collecting Pokémon cards.
Never understood that either. I did collect baseball cards as a kid, but only for the trading and value of them . I like to look at them but never watched baseball. Right now I only have about 100 blades as I just bought 20 med prep and 10 labs. I will probably buy 100 or 250 pack of the med prep soon and call it a day unless I want to gift some. With what I have not and that it will probably last 3 years or so.

Never understood that either. I did collect baseball cards as a kid, but only for the trading and value of them . I like to look at them but never watched baseball. Right now I only have about 100 blades as I just bought 20 med prep and 10 labs. I will probably buy 100 or 250 pack of the med prep soon and call it a day unless I want to gift some. With what I have not and that it will probably last 3 years or so.

I didn't collect those for values or trading, I think it just gives you some kind of satisfaction as you see your collection grow.
I am only 3 months into DE shaving and I have about 3000 mix of blades. There is a reason why B&B came up with a specific term, blade acquisition disorder. I think I have it BADly..

BAD - Blade acquisition disorder. People buy a lot because they can and as you noted, blades are very cheap, so it is easy to overbuy.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Probably because after we try one blade, we think that a different one will give us a better shave. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't. But we still buy more new blades to try. It's cheaper if you buy them by the 100 pack.

Also sometimes blades get cheaper. Let's say I buy 100 Sharks today. In 4 months I see that they went down in price...well ok since they are THAT cheap now I need to buy 100 more. And while I'm at it I better check the price on the 5 other different brands I have just in case those are cheaper too.

Why buy only 50 blades, when for a few dollars more, you can have 100. If you don't like them, you can give them away, trade them, or PIF them. In any case, it's a small thing, compared to collecting NOS razors.

At one time I had over 500 blades but now am down to about 200 in less than a year. I even have used a straight of 90% of that year. Where did they go? I have given them away to the fine folks here.

I buy extra so that if I post a trade for soaps or something and someone has a soap that's a little more expensive I can toss some blades in there to even it out.

Yes, guilty here. I bought most of my blades in 100's for the price. You could buy a tuck of 5 for $2-3, 50 for $7, and the whole 100 for $10+ so it just made more sense to me. So I now have about 400 blades and have been using them for 7 days on average so thats about 8 years worth. For the most part I won't be buying anymore for quite a while. It's just the way it goes.
If they were more available locally I wouldn't mind buying them for a few bucks, but if I do see them in CVS or the grocery store they are usually $3 to 5 a pack. Yeiks!

Yes, guilty here. I bought most of my blades in 100's for the price. You could buy a tuck of 5 for $2-3, 50 for $7, and the whole 100 for $10+ so it just made more sense to me. So I now have about 400 blades and have been using them for 7 days on average so thats about 8 years worth. For the most part I won't be buying anymore for quite a while. It's just the way it goes.
If they were more available locally I wouldn't mind buying them for a few bucks, but if I do see them in CVS or the grocery store they are usually $3 to 5 a pack. Yeiks!

this actually is true too.
I hate to pay $4~5 for a pack or two when 100 of them cost just a little over $10~11.
I can always trade, or include them in a sale lot if not needed later on.

Because they can disappear at any time. Try to buy BlueBirds right now and you'll see what I mean.

Last edited:
Currently, I am on blade #24 of a 100 pack of Ladas blades, started on 28 Nov 2014, and averaging 7.1 shaves per blade. At this rate, I guesstimate I will get through 2015 without having to order more blades.

Mike H

Instagram Famous
I have 20 lifetimes of blades... :w00t:

Attachments

• $IMG_4328.jpg
    $IMG_4328.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 190
Well, most blades are stainless, so they won't corrode over the time, so, as long as you are storing them well. Also, you get better deal by buying the in bulk.

What can happen, is for your favorite blades to get discontinued or modified.

I buy toilet paper, Kleenex, laundry detergent, and bleach by the case. If I'm not sampling, why would I buy blades a tuck at a time?

I'm pretty sure I'll be needing to wipe my butt and nose, and do the laundry for many years... the same goes for shaving. I like to have stuff on hand.

$n-HOARDING-SIGNS-large640.jpg (just kidding!)

I went in CVS and the Isreali made blade 10 pack I get at Shop Rite for $1.29 is over 7 bucks.

I do plan on buying and hording blades in the future as well as getting at least two Gillette Super Adjustable razors(if I can find them for a reasonable price) as back ups for the one I'm using now. If Gillette succeeds in converting India, China and Russia into using the Guard or similar cheap cart we may be buying DE blades off artisans for the same price or more as carts in the near future.

Top Bottom