What's new

Something cool inside the doors of a Janus prototype.

I just noticed this last night after my shave. The photo makes it look darker but it is lightly etched inside both doors of the Janus New Toggle prototype. When I searched for it most results referred to Adidas' appropriation of the phrase as a marketing tool.
IMG_1968.jpeg
The quote is cool. I think it tells us something about the mindset of the creator of the razor.

Here is the entire quote:

“Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing.” Muhammad Ali.

No more of the prototype will be made since the design has been updated for fewer machined parts and to be lighter, plus the overall design looks more like the Gillette Toggle. This stainless steel prototype was not plated but was treated with platinum PVD (physical vapor deposition).

They are going to put these back in production? The FB page has been silent for several years.
Not the prototype design, there will be no more of those beyond the half dozen that were made. The Limited Edition of 51 was released after the crowd funding effort didn't get enough backers. The LE specs were edited based on bad last minute advice and to the dismay of key initial backers they were left out of that decision. While the prototype was fully tested and deemed to be near perfect except for weight, size, and head profile, the LE was not tested prior to release and is aggressive, which resulted in negative reviews. I use my LE regularly but have to keep it dialed way down around 1-3. The prototype shaves great on any setting although too mild for me on 1-2.

The LE has been redesigned to be smoother and simpler. 10 machined parts vs. 19. A V2 will be made if Eric can find a suitable partner to machine the parts and who has an existing platform to support customers. He is an engineer with a day job and doesn't have the time or customer relation skills to support the product.

On a side note Eric was not an avid DE wet shaver like we are prior to coming up with the project. If he was he would have immediately discovered the aggressive result of his edited specs and would never have released the LE as is. He has learned a lot about we expect in a razor through the process. I hope he is successful at finding a partner to make the V2 a reality.

Last edited:
Top Bottom