What's new

Something comparable to proraso

I've been very please with proraso for my daily shaving soap but am looking for something new. I like how easy it is to get a rich lather and the aroma is great. What would you suggest for a next soap?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can do much better than Proraso. It's not a particularly noteworthy soap, it just happens to be well-known.

What qualities are important to you, in a soap?

If you like Proraso you will like Stirling, Razorock, Captains Choice and Sapone Di Paolo. That's just 4, from a very long list...

D.R. Harris, Mitchell's Wool Fat, Stirling, Barrister and Mann, Tabac and Cella are all inexpensive soaps that IMHO all outperform Proraso.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

D.R. Harris, Mitchell's Wool Fat, Stirling, Barrister and Mann, Tabac and Cella are all inexpensive soaps that IMHO all outperform Proraso.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

All of DR Harris' soaps have very subtle scents. That's the opposite of what the OP wants.

I've not tried MWF, but I believe it is not scented. Hopefully someone can chime in.

Proraso is a middle of the road soap IMO. It gives me a good shave but, kinda lacks slickness. Razorock XXX is much better as is Stirling soap. I won't be getting more when the tub is gone.

If you like Proraso, then you should like most of the Italian soft soaps. Check out Cella, P.160, anything from Razorock, Mystic Water, and several of the American artisan soaps would be of a similar soft consistency. Any of the razorock scents that look interesting to you might be a good next soap to try.

There are different lines of Proraso with varying scents and ingredients. Which ones did you like?

I would go with something better than Prorasso, and luckily, that's not very hard to do at all.

Mystic waters is phenomenal. For me personally, it is a top performer equal to MDC and othe much more expensive soaps.
Chisled Face, Cold River Soapworks Select, Panna Crema Pure20, Bain Amour, Cella, Razorock XXX duro, Sudsy Soapery, Captains Choice.
Those are also all excellent performers and can be had at reasonable prices.

If you like Proraso, then you should like most of the Italian soft soaps. Check out Cella, P.160, anything from Razorock, Mystic Water, and several of the American artisan soaps would be of a similar soft consistency. Any of the razorock scents that look interesting to you might be a good next soap to try.

There are different lines of Proraso with varying scents and ingredients. Which ones did you like?

I currently only have the green tub. It sounds like stifling keeps popping up from everyone's recommendations.

Do you enjoy a particular type of Proraso? For instance I had a tub of green and if you're looking for a similar scent but better performance, I would check out:
Catie's Bubbles Mile High Menthol (Vegan)
Cold River Soapworks Arctica
Meissner Tremonia Gentle Menthol (Vegan)
Lebelle Soaps Glacier Bay

I can't make suggestions for red, white, or blue.

An easy jump, and something everybody properly shaving shall try (like proraso) is Taylor of old bond street (TOBS). There is a huge range of flavours, and you can also find/order samples that is cheaper in order to try a lot...

I've been very please with proraso for my daily shaving soap but am looking for something new. I like how easy it is to get a rich lather and the aroma is great. What would you suggest for a next soap?

If you are looking for a strongly scented soaps I would recommend soaps with fragrance oils, essential oils in soaps tend to be much more softly scented. Every nose is different but to mine, and I don't think many will disagree, here are some soaps where you don't have to "search" for the scent:

Stirling
B & M
Cella
L & L
Mike's (some offerings as he uses EO in some soaps) Lime & Barbershop are moderate, Honeysuckle is on the stronger side
Wholly Kaw
Saponificio Varesino
Mickey Lee Soap Works
Fine Accoutrements, I have 1 and its well scented, American Blend

Sudsy Soapery, Mystic Waters are great soaps, but the scents are very weak imo. I ordered 6 samples and a soap from MW and the only scent I could even detect was the Sweet Briar Tobacco which I got a full tub of luckily.

Last edited:
Soap or cream? Such a long list - many choices.

One soap not mentioned yet - Soap Commander.

Cream - Kiss My Face.

Top Bottom