What's new

Something comparable to proraso

Why are so many people crapping on Proraso? The original poster said he liked it a lot then they start their post by insulting his choice. I've tried all the Prorasos and I'd buy them all again except for the blue and that's only because I'm not especially fond of the scent. If all I had was Proraso I wouldn't be disappointed in the least. For other suggestions you might want to try Musgo Real and Body Shop's Maca Root though they're a bit pricier.

My experience with Stirling apparently has been different than all the lovers here. Scent-wise, the puck smelled great but once it was lathered, there was barely any scent at all. (I've used 6-8 of their soaps.) What was disappointing to me was that in over half of them, I could detect what smelled like rendered fat in them. It was a pretty big turn off. Whatever scent was added couldn't mask the ingredient(s). The soaps left a nice face-feel afterwards but I didn't think the lather exceeded what I could get with any of the Prorasos. Maybe things have changed with Stirling since I used them but I wouldn't buy it again.

Last edited:
Lots of good suggestions mentioned already. I'll throw in my $0.02 and recommend Sir Hare Classic Barber soap. It provides a nice thick creamy lather, that is super slick and protective. The only thing lacking for OP would be strong scent. This soap smells good, but it's not overly strong.....but for me performance trumps scent....YMMV.

I've tried many and my vanity is full of nothing but Taylor of old bond street. I have razorock which imo is just awful, barrister and Mann is great as is stirling but TOBS is as good as it gets for my face. Plus I place my order from across the pond and get it for around $10 a tub.

I enjoy Proraso also, or it works wonderfuly.

You could try Tabac, great lather and scent.

You have to remember everything here is YMMV, so you need to try out things for yourself.

Look at other soap makers (TOBS, Dr. Harris, Henri et Victoria, Midnight & Two, etc.) and find a scent description that you like.

Alot of Proraso bashing going on here. I'm a bit surprised. For the $$$ (especially in Italy where it's $2 for soap tubs and cream tubes) it's definitely one of the best out there. But to each their own.

But to each their own.

I think that is the key phrase right there. I know for me personally, I've had about 50 different soaps in my bathroom that I've tried. And for me, Prorasso red (admittedly the only Prorasso I've tried other than C.O.Bigelow creme) ranks in the top 3 of the absolute worst soaps that I have tried.

I lather, do two passes and am cleaning my brush in about 7 minutes. No matter what I did to it, or how I made the lather, it was drying on my face before I was done with half a pass. It was also one of the least slick and protective soaps I have tried. Even watered to the point it was just about to break down.

I normally have a similar issue with most non-tallow soaps, but nothing as bad as what I got from Prorasso, and very few have ever dried that fast.

It may be cheap, and it may work for some, but there are better options out there I think.
There were more than a few that I really liked when I started, until I found better ones. Then they just weren't as good.

I find you get what you pay for with Proraso, it's OK inexpensive shaving cream that does the job, but in my experience there are much better options "out there".

Little experimenting goes a long way, lots of great suggestions already.

Alot of Proraso bashing going on here. I'm a bit surprised. For the $$$ (especially in Italy where it's $2 for soap tubs and cream tubes) it's definitely one of the best out there. But to each their own.

The thing is a lot of people experience face drying from Proraso, myself included. Sure I can use it here and there but the fact is if it was the only choice in shaving soap I'd grow a beard because I can't use it for a week straight.

Plus I also think it's very important that people do know that people do have issues with it. I almost quit wet shaving because I was having issues but everyone kept saying hiw great it was. Luckily I tried other soaps because Proraso was the problem all along.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Feels like you can't swing a dead cat and not hit a great artisan shave soap these days.

Soap Commander is an easy lathering, slick and protective soap. The scents I've encountered haven't been strong though. Kind of medium strength. They sell samples so I would try those. Great company also. Good luck in your hunt.

The thing is a lot of people experience face drying from Proraso, myself included. Sure I can use it here and there but the fact is if it was the only choice in shaving soap I'd grow a beard because I can't use it for a week straight.

Plus I also think it's very important that people do know that people do have issues with it. I almost quit wet shaving because I was having issues but everyone kept saying hiw great it was. Luckily I tried other soaps because Proraso was the problem all along.

I reserve final judgement until i have tried more creams, but, although i started as Proraso zealot, 4+ months later, i must say, that i 've had a much easier life with Derby Lemon, than i had with Proraso blue cream or white tub. Derby is slicker (and by coincidence glycerin is higher in the ingredient list), but more importantly, although the lather in the bowl doesn't look as amazing as the proraso, once on the face, Derby behaves better. Of course the same goes for TOBS, but since it costs 13 EUR more, i 'd say they it's unfair to compare directly.

But, the jury is still out there. I have still to try Proraso green and red.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Why are so many people crapping on Proraso? The original poster said he liked it a lot then they start their post by insulting his choice.

My experience with Stirling apparently has been different than all the lovers here. ... I could detect what smelled like rendered fat in them. It was a pretty big turn off. ... I wouldn't buy it again.

Why all the crapping on Stirling?

:001_rolle

Actually, I actually appreciate your honest appraisal of Stirling, just as I appreciate the other posters' honest appraisals of Proraso. Sure it's all just, like, our opinions, dude ... but our opinions count and we need to (politely) speak our minds. Just listing product names doesn't really help move the conversation forward; discussing the relative merits of various products does move things forward. I like knowing the opinions of different people, even if (or more to the point, especially if) those opinions differ from my own.

Now, I'd have to go back and double-check to be sure, but I didn't see anyone posting stuff like "you'd have to be a gull-durned ijjit to actually like that Proraso stuff." We shouldn't let our own sense of self-worth get tied up in the merits (or lack thereof) of the things we like. (Except for Boston Bruins fans ... I'm allowed to hate on Bruins fans just for the fact that they like the Bruins. But other than that ... no.)

If I posted a statement that I had just tried my first bourbon and it is fantastic and I love it and are there other ones out there similar to it that I could try ... and then mentioned that the one I tried was Jack Daniels ... well ... I could see guys posting that there are actually lots of bona fide better bourbons out there. I'm not going to take it personal that the one I tried and liked is actually generally seen as fairly far down the "best to worst" scale.

One of the best things we can do here is steer each other toward something better than what we already have!

All of DR Harris' soaps have very subtle scents. That's the opposite of what the OP wants.

I've not tried MWF, but I believe it is not scented. Hopefully someone can chime in.
MWF does have a scent, but it's just a nice soapy scent, and it's definitely not a strong scent either, so definitely not what OP wants.

Why all the crapping on Stirling?

:001_rolle

Actually, I actually appreciate your honest appraisal of Stirling, just as I appreciate the other posters' honest appraisals of Proraso. Sure it's all just, like, our opinions, dude ... but our opinions count and we need to (politely) speak our minds. Just listing product names doesn't really help move the conversation forward; discussing the relative merits of various products does move things forward. I like knowing the opinions of different people, even if (or more to the point, especially if) those opinions differ from my own.

Now, I'd have to go back and double-check to be sure, but I didn't see anyone posting stuff like "you'd have to be a gull-durned ijjit to actually like that Proraso stuff." We shouldn't let our own sense of self-worth get tied up in the merits (or lack thereof) of the things we like. (Except for Boston Bruins fans ... I'm allowed to hate on Bruins fans just for the fact that they like the Bruins. But other than that ... no.)

If I posted a statement that I had just tried my first bourbon and it is fantastic and I love it and are there other ones out there similar to it that I could try ... and then mentioned that the one I tried was Jack Daniels ... well ... I could see guys posting that there are actually lots of bona fide better bourbons out there. I'm not going to take it personal that the one I tried and liked is actually generally seen as fairly far down the "best to worst" scale.

One of the best things we can do here is steer each other toward something better than what we already have!

I see that my reply above was carefully edited to set up and support your retort of "Why all the crapping on Stirling?" While I'm choosing to take your question to be meant in a joking manner either fully or only in part, I'd still like to contend that my comments on Stirling were not crapping on the product. I thought that my comments were well reasoned and I offered both positive and negative comments and they pointed to things that someone not familiar with the product might want to take under consideration. In the end, my opinion of the product was negative and that I wouldn't buy it again but the key here is that in my comments, I allowed that others may have/had a different experience than mine.

I'm sorry that you felt that my just listing suggested product names didn't really help in moving the conversation forward. The original poster was looking for products with the qualities of ease of lathering, lubricity and a strong scent. I apologize for assuming that those stated qualities were a given and that any suggestion I would make would have the stated qualities. Perhaps I should have been clearer and stated that I recommend both Musgo Real and Body Shop's Maca Root because they are both easy to lather, they both provide excellent lubrication and the strength of their scents are equal to or stronger than Prorasos. As penance, I'll add another: they both provide an excellent post-shave face feel. Added bonus penance: they both provide a thick, rich, protective lather.

While you are back double checking the "you'd have to be a gull-durned ijjit to actually like that Proraso stuff." comments that aren't there, take note of the "You can do much better than Proraso.", "It's not a particularly noteworthy soap, it just happens to be well-known.", "I would go with something better than Prorasso, and luckily, that's not very hard to do at all.", "...the OP can and should set his sights a lot higher", etc. that are there. I don't expect that everyone should like Proraso. It's abundantly clear there are those here who don't like it but Proraso has been around now for what, 110 +/- years? They must be doing something right. I'd say that it might suggest that those who don't like it are in the minority. I'm hardly tying my own sense of self-worth in the merits (or lack thereof) of the things that I like and I would hope the same for those who seem to feel the need to unnecessarily trash a good product. (Their comments might seem to suggest otherwise.) I gain nothing from promoting Proraso and I don't think that I or anyone else should be made to feel like I/they should apologize for liking the product. There were several unnecessary, dismissive and IMO, unfair statements made regarding Proraso and I merely pointed them out and shared my nothing but positive experience with the product.

Ultimately, the original poster stated that they were very pleased with Proraso, that they liked how easy it was to lather and that they thought the scent was great. The original poster is already sold on Proraso. Thus your opinion, my opinion or anyone elses opinions on Proraso don't matter nor were those opinions asked for. The original poster asked for soap suggestions that were easy to lather, that lubricated well and that had a strong scent. In responding, there were those who chose to respond with unnecessary digs and that is what I was pointing out. We can steer each other toward something (we think is) better than what we already have without trashing another product and giving no basis for a negative opinion that wasn't even asked for in the first place.

Anyway, my little missive is (thankfully, mercifully) over. Peace out "dude".

Last edited:
I see that my reply above was carefully edited to set up and support your retort of "Why all the crapping on Stirling?" While I'm choosing to take your question to be meant in a joking manner either fully or only in part, I'd still like to contend that my comments on Stirling were not crapping on the product. I thought that my comments were well reasoned and I offered both positive and negative comments and they pointed to things that someone not familiar with the product might want to take under consideration. In the end, my opinion of the product was negative and that I wouldn't buy it again but the key here is that in my comments, I allowed that others may have/had a different experience than mine.

I'm sorry that you felt that my just listing suggested product names didn't really help in moving the conversation forward. The original poster was looking for products with the qualities of ease of lathering, lubricity and a strong scent. I apologize for assuming that those stated qualities were a given and that any suggestion I would make would have the stated qualities. Perhaps I should have been clearer and stated that I recommend both Musgo Real and Body Shop's Maca Root because they are both easy to lather, they both provide excellent lubrication and the strength of their scents are equal to or stronger than Prorasos. As penance, I'll add another: they both provide an excellent post-shave face feel. Added bonus penance: they both provide a thick, rich, protective lather.

While you are back double checking the "you'd have to be a gull-durned ijjit to actually like that Proraso stuff." comments that aren't there, take note of the "You can do much better than Proraso.", "It's not a particularly noteworthy soap, it just happens to be well-known.", "I would go with something better than Prorasso, and luckily, that's not very hard to do at all.", "...the OP can and should set his sights a lot higher", etc. that are there. I don't expect that everyone should like Proraso. It's abundantly clear there are those here who don't like it but Proraso has been around now for what, 110 +/- years? They must be doing something right. I'd say that it might suggest that those who don't like it are in the minority. I'm hardly tying my own sense of self-worth in the merits (or lack thereof) of the things that I like and I would hope the same for those who seem to feel the need to unnecessarily trash a good product. (Their comments might seem to suggest otherwise.) I gain nothing from promoting Proraso and I don't think that I or anyone else should be made to feel like I/they should apologize for liking the product. There were several unnecessary, dismissive and IMO, unfair statements made regarding Proraso and I merely pointed them out and shared my nothing but positive experience with the product.

Ultimately, the original poster stated that they were very pleased with Proraso, that they liked how easy it was to lather and that they thought the scent was great. The original poster is already sold on Proraso. Thus your opinion, my opinion or anyone elses opinions on Proraso don't matter nor were those opinions asked for. The original poster asked for soap suggestions that were easy to lather, that lubricated well and that had a strong scent. In responding, there were those who chose to respond with unnecessary digs and that is what I was pointing out. We can steer each other toward something (we think is) better than what we already have without trashing another product and giving no basis for a negative opinion that wasn't even asked for in the first place.

Anyway, my little missive is (thankfully, mercifully) over. Peace out "dude".

My comment was one you pointed out, and I stand behind it. I don't feel as though I trashed Prorasso, all I said was there are much better products out there and it's not hard to find them.
As I stated in a followup post, out of the 50 or so soaps I've tried, for me it is at the top of the worst performing list. Even then, I didn't say anything negative about the company, or the product besides my own experience with it.

No, you shouldn't have to apologize for liking it. On the same note, others shouldn't have to apologize for not liking it. We are all entitled to our own opinions, and one of the joys of this site is that people from all walks of life get to share them in a responsible, polite way.
No one that you listed was impolite, nor did they "trash" the product. They simply stated they don't like the product or that they feel there are better products out there.

Were the comments unsolicited? Probably, but they were warranted in their opinion.
If I hadn't been told that people felt something I was using was bad or mediocre and then given more options, I'd still be using certain things that weren't as good as what I'm using now. Not just for shaving either.

shavefan

I’m not a fan
If you have a favorite product that others genuinely do not get along with, you better grow a thicker skin. Not to pile on but I'm also in the camp that thinks that (standard) Proraso is mediocre stuff. Not horrible, not great, but there it is. This is my opinion based on my experience using 3 different Proraso soaps/creams. It's OK to politely disagree.

Many also find MdC to have a post shave drying affect. MdC also happens to be one of my favorite shave soaps, and I do not find it "drying" in the least. Whatever...

I did use the new Proraso Single Blade cream recently and (IMO) it is much better performing (slickness & post shave) than standard Proraso. I highly recommend it.

Top Bottom