What's new

Something about Tabac

I first got Tabac a year ago. I didn’t find the scent to be “old lady handbag” as some describe it, but I initially thought it was a bit too floral for my preference. However, I couldn’t complain about performance.

Over time, I’ve just used it now and then. Once I used it exclusively for a week and liked the scent less by the end of the week than I did at the beginning of the week.

But a strange thing happened—I now find myself enjoying the scent and I reach for Tabac more and more. Is Tabac an acquired taste? Has anyone else initially not liked the scent but has it grown on them over time?

Maybe your soap has just off-gassed after a year! :laugh:

No, really, my opinion has gone from "I don't know if I like that" to "It's really not bad at all."

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I wasn’t all that fussed on the smell straight out of the box. But with time in an open container I actually quite like the smell. I have used my puck on and off for ages. I used it for a whole month for Tabactober. It is also a great performing soap.

I hated it at first. Too floral was my initial impression.

After a few shaves, I ended up really liking it. Only because it performs so well. If it didn’t lather so well, I likely would have tossed it after one shave. Now I want to buy the aftershave.

I’m glad I gave it a chance - now I have 3 sticks of the stuff. Got it on sale, and I don’t want to run out.

I had my first encounter with the Tabac fresh off a week of Arko.

In comparison I found the scent more subtle and mature. I really liked it. And my girlfriend was happy my Arko adventures had finally come to an end. Little did she know I ordered a 12 pack! (moahaAHahaha) Anyway

Today I returned to the Tabac after some Floris 89 grind, and this time around it was the performance, not the scent that impressed me. In fact, I found the scent a bit meh. Not at all what I remembered.

I think it is really hard to be objective and find a "neutral scent baseline" for comparison over time.

I agree the Tabac is probably an acquired taste. As is the delightful Arko. Which is kind of a problem if you are into first impressions or Tinder. Most people will not stick around long enough to be acquired by your charmingly strange Tabac scent. Just sayin'

I had my first encounter with the Tabac fresh off a week of Arko.

In comparison I found the scent more subtle and mature. I really liked it. And my girlfriend was happy my Arko adventures had finally come to an end. Little did she know I ordered a 12 pack! (moahaAHahaha) Anyway

Today I returned to the Tabac after some Floris 89 grind, and this time around it was the performance, not the scent that impressed me. In fact, I found the scent a bit meh. Not at all what I remembered.

I think it is really hard to be objective and find a "neutral scent baseline" for comparison over time.

I agree the Tabac is probably an acquired taste. As is the delightful Arko. Which is kind of a problem if you are into first impressions or Tinder. Most people will not stick around long enough to be acquired by your charmingly strange Tabac scent. Just sayin'
I’ve used one stick of Arko. I used the whole stick, but never bothered to try it again. Maybe it would also grow on me given enough time!

I didn't expect to like the scent of Tabac from the descriptions here, but felt I had to give it a try and recently got the stick version. Guess what? I don't like the scent. I don't hate it, but these particular floral overtones just don't do it for me. However, I get all the enthusiasm about the performance. So I'll keep it around in the hope that I'll come around on the smell.

It's not my favorite scent, but I enjoy it. It actually reminds me of my great grandpa's bathroom. No idea if he used it or not, but it wouldn't surprise me as that's what his bathroom smelled like. I've seen people suggest that the scent changes a bit if you leave it in an open container to air out a bit. I actually grated mine together in equal parts with Mitchell's Wool Fat and Haslinger Schafmilch.

I love it !

I was apprehensive about Tabac, Arko and Vitos because each soap/ stick is great in it's own way, and there were cases of skin irritation or smell factors.
Thankfully I get along fine with each of them and all the above are great for me.

Now, Mitchell's Wool Fat is the next landmark soap to try.

I loved Tabac so much that I stopped searching about how long it'll last.

Because, if you love Tabac, then the answer to this question is not in months but - how many soap refills can you have as back-up ?

Lather just comes alive and skin doesn't feel dry after the shave, post shave feel is enriching.

Tabac smells a bit of tobacco, got a hit of cooling effect on face and some combination of dried spices (not herbal) - all in all, great soap.

I have no previous experience with old lady's handbags or clean boy's locker room, so luckily I have no previous smell for comparison.

Tabac smells like a good shave is about to happen, and it won't be boring!

A very apt description indeed.

Last edited:
I saw that Tabac was so polarizing, so I just had to try it. It was my second soap. I personally enjoy the scent, but I could not use it every day.

After using and thoroughly enjoying it today, I brought it to my wife to sniff. I asked her what it smelled like. "Powder" she replied. "It smells like Aunt Elsie and Grandma."

I said that some describe it as "the inside of an old lady's purse." She nodded in agreement vigorously.

I still like it :)

Glad you like it more and more. For me, I liked it from the very beginning. It's working for you and that's what's important!!

Tabac has always been sentimental to me, as I remember it distinctly from my grandpa, who was quite the manly guy. So I never had negative associations to it. I always love the stuff.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

I very much like the performance. The scent? It depends on the day.

Speick is a nearly identical soap, but I find its performance slightly better, and I love its scent. So I use that and leave the Tabac for guys who love it.

...I actually grated mine together in equal parts with Mitchell's Wool Fat and Haslinger Schafmilch.

Sacrilege!

1612562132888.png

:laugh:

My first experience was with a tube of the cream. Then for Tabactober, I bought a puck of it. I think they are quite different. Performance from the puck is outstanding, and the smell grew on me to the point that now, I love its complexity. I bought 10 ounces of the aftershave and it's a great performer, too. Great post-application feel.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom