What's new

Someone to hone some expensive razors

It's been a few years since I used a straight and my favorite straights need a touch up or honing. I am a beginner/early novice honer and am not comfortable honing these razors for fear of messing them up. I am continuing to practice honing on some very low cost razors and once I've mastered my technique, I'll consider honing these more expensive razors. But I'm at least a few months or more away from that comfort level.

In the mean time, I'm looking for some recommendations from anyone that has used someone recently to hone straights for them located in the US. I'm aware of Glen (@GsSixgun) in Idaho, aware of Howard Schecter (I think, I forget his Co name) in Mass, and saw @Doc226 in RI listed in the Wiki. I'm in NJ so sending to Mass or RI would make sense for me.

I've got an Iwasaki Western Tamahagane that I love using but haven't used in over 5 yrs and could use a touch up, a Tim Zowada damascus (I think he might hone his own razors for free if purchased through him, which this was), a Koraat 14 2.0, and a few others that I'm not comfortable putting on the stones myself.

I'm thinking I'll contact Howard and @Doc226 to see what's what and go from there. Any other recommendations or considerations?

Thank you.
B930C828-F72F-4A17-AAC7-62995337E2B2_1_201_a.jpeg

It's been a few years since I used a straight and my favorite straights need a touch up or honing. I am a beginner/early novice honer and am not comfortable honing these razors for fear of messing them up. I am continuing to practice honing on some very low cost razors and once I've mastered my technique, I'll consider honing these more expensive razors. But I'm at least a few months or more away from that comfort level.

In the mean time, I'm looking for some recommendations from anyone that has used someone recently to hone straights for them located in the US. I'm aware of Glen (@GsSixgun) in Idaho, aware of Howard Schecter (I think, I forget his Co name) in Mass, and saw @Doc226 in RI listed in the Wiki. I'm in NJ so sending to Mass or RI would make sense for me.

I've got an Iwasaki Western Tamahagane that I love using but haven't used in over 5 yrs and could use a touch up, a Tim Zowada damascus (I think he might hone his own razors for free if purchased through him, which this was), a Koraat 14 2.0, and a few others that I'm not comfortable putting on the stones myself.

I'm thinking I'll contact Howard and @Doc226 to see what's what and go from there. Any other recommendations or considerations?

Thank you.
View attachment 1472170
I just got a restored Erik Anton Berg back from Doc226 yesterday. First class job all the way with a great edge. You can see the restoration in yesterdays post what’s on your work bench

What ever you do, DO NOT send them to me. I’ll hone them but you will probably never see them again. Nice razors!

I was going to make a proposal myself, send them to me and I promise not to send them back until they shave as good or better than the best shaving straight razors in the word ( read never).

Very nice razors.

Top Bottom