What's new

Some Travel Observations

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I'm from NY, and learned a while back that different parts of the world have a whole different experience of "cold" tap water.

I just returned from a week in Myrtle Beach, SC where the faucet handles should read "hot and lukewarm." (at least in my timeshare). I like to finish my shave with a cold rinse, but I admit I was too lazy to get the ice cubes necessary to fulfill that desire here. My next three days were in Alexandria, VA, where the problem remained - but considerably less so. We had "hot and fairly cool."

In my house I have cold tap water that is probably around 50 degrees. In the winter (which is no joke here) I sometimes have to steel myself for that cold rinse.

The EVO synthetic brush and the ATT Windsor worked flawlessly, and I am exceedingly pleased with my new travel setup. I also tried a shave stick: La Toja. It worked very well, although I'm not completely sold on the stick vs a puck. But the stick was a lovely size for travel, so I think it has a home in my travel bag.

ylekot

On the lookout for a purse
I'm 4 hours northwest of you, about 215 miles. We were on a well for many years that was 300 feet deep. the water came out of the tap at 37 degrees year round. We are now on municipal water that is about 52 degrees year round. Ground temperature and how long it sits in the underground pipes versus in an elevated tower exposed to ambient air temperature and sun will all have an effect.

Here in Arizona "cold" water depends on the season. In the summer there is no such thing as cool or cold water. However, in the winter it does get cool.

Excellent post! This highlights why I need to value everyday things, such as the value of cold tap water! :a29: :a29:

Cold water shaving?

Where I used to work for 34 years, we switched the water heaters (located inside the house) off in the summer and used that water from the “hot” faucet as “cold” water because the water coming out of the “cold” water faucet (from the water tank on the roof) was close to 99°F / 37°C.

I kid you not…

B.

In Florida I worked with someone from Wisconsin and he suggested we chill (refrigerate) our water for the cold water tap.

Someone from Florida and someone from Canada may have totally different takes on “cold water shaving”.
In Florida I worked with someone from Wisconsin and he suggested we chill (refrigerate) our water for the cold water tap.
Having lived in both Kentucky and Florida there’s definitely a difference in what constitutes “cold” water. But the upside of having to deal with cool water is not having to deal with an iced up diamond plate staircase (a story best left for a different venue)

Having lived in both Kentucky and Florida there’s definitely a difference in what constitutes “cold” water. But the upside of having to deal with cool water is not having to deal with an iced up diamond plate staircase (a story best left for a different venue)
Ouch that sounds very slippery. The only time I hit my head hard enough to see stars was when I walking on ice. (I grew up in the Chicago area).

Ouch that sounds very slippery. The only time I hit my head hard enough to see stars was when I walking on ice. (I grew up in the Chicago area).
On the occasions it would be icy it would be slippery but it was rare that it would happen. After the incident I mentioned I had trouble sitting down for long periods of time for about a month or so

Top Bottom