What's new

Some thoughts on great cream and soap

Hey you all!! Looking for some thoughts and direction from you all! Since this crosses over not soaps I wasn’t sure where to post, here or the other section.

I personally like to lather in a bowl... and I’ve been considering a scuttle to warm it.

So far I have tried a few small samples of cream... can’t remember the names off the top of my head. I’ve also tried a Vikings Blade Sandalwood non-lather cream. I hated that... and a Taylor’s of Old Bond Street Sandlewood.... which I really like.
I have tried some generic soaps that I thought were ok as well.

This leaves me in a strange spot... I don’t want to get into spending a ton of money trying bunches of soaps and creams. But I don’t have a problem trying a few.

Ive been told the Taylors is an older cream, and there are several “artisan” creams and soaps that are much slicker and better... but have no names to match them up with.

Can anyone given me 3-5 cream/soap suggestions that they love? I want to put together a compiled list of things to split with friends who are new and for us all to try!

A few items to note... I have fairly sensitive skin, and since I started wet shaving, my face has been getting on the dry side. I am not a fan of “fruity” smells either.

Again, looking for a short list of 3-5 favorites that you all would suggest. I’ll compile the list from all members and try the most recommended ones... then try and swap with other friends in my group who are also new to wet shaving!

Thanks Guys,
Bc

Palmolive Lather. TOBS is good stuff too, comes in a variety of scents. Mugso is higher prices that most creams but is also good stuff. Arko and Derby make a variety of creams, but I've never tried them. There is a huge amount of creams made and sold in India.
Palmolive would be my favorite of the ones I've tried.

I'm still fairly new to this, but what caught my eye in your post was fairly sensitive skin. As other, more knowledgeable people chime in with actual advice, I'd suggest a little bit of homework checking out ingredients labels. Good luck in your hunt!

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Hey you all!! Looking for some thoughts and direction from you all! Since this crosses over not soaps I wasn’t sure where to post, here or the other section.

I personally like to lather in a bowl... and I’ve been considering a scuttle to warm it.

So far I have tried a few small samples of cream... can’t remember the names off the top of my head. I’ve also tried a Vikings Blade Sandalwood non-lather cream. I hated that... and a Taylor’s of Old Bond Street Sandlewood.... which I really like.

This leaves me in a strange spot... I don’t want to get into spending a ton of money trying bunches of soaps and creams. But I don’t have a problem trying a few.

Ive been told the Taylors is an older cream, and there are several “artisan” creams and soaps that are much slicker and better... but have no names to match them up with.

Can anyone given me 3-5 cream/soap suggestions that they love? I want to put together a compiled list of things to split with friends who are new and for us all to try!

A few items to note... I have fairly sensitive skin, and since I started wet shaving, my face has been getting on the dry side. I am not a fan of “fruity” smells either.

Again, looking for a short list of 3-5 favorites that you all would suggest. I’ll compile the list from all members and try the most recommended ones... then try and swap with other friends in my group who are also new to wet shaving!

Thanks Guys,
Bc
#1 Kapo - from Bulgaria and available on eBay for about $5 per tube. Order more than one because you will love it.
#2 Palmolive Classic - available on Amazon for $16.45 for a six pack. Another excellent cream. Huge bang for the buck.

Thanks Guys,
Bc
I haven't found a lot of creams that I like. Palmolive cream is pretty nice. As for soaps, I have plenty of suggestions. Stirling, Vikings soaps, Soapy Science, Soap Commander, and Stubble Busters are just some of the soaps that I really enjoy. They all give great creaminess and slickness to the lather.

Geo F Trumpers Spanish Leather is awesome.
Not sure if you like lavender, but if you do, check out Ach Brito Lavanda.
TOBS Avocado is my favorite of their line.
For pure luxury, Hemingway Accoutrements shave creme is exceptional, with aftershave balsalm (lotion) makes your skin feel like velvet. But it is quite costly unless you catch a sale.

I dont do traditional shaving soaps. I have to choose ingredients carefully. Five of the many I use:

The Grandpa Soap Co. Charcoal Cleansing Shower Cream
makes an excellent shave cream, terrific glide and skin nourishment, very minty.

Alba Botanica Very Emollient Cream Shave-Aloe Mint
very minty with same excellent aloe glide as above

you may not be interested in other things I use.

Earthbath Natural Pet Care Oatmeal and Aloe Shampoo Vanilla Almond

(those three aloe ones give great glide and are easily extended with a light splash of water as you progress in your shave)

Everyone Soap for every man
shampoo/shower/shave Cedar and Citrus

Paul Mitchell The Conditioner

hope this helps

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
Most artisan soaps are soft and more like croaps than true soaps. There are very many of them as every man and his dog seem to be making them. They come and go and what is great now may not be so next week. The classics that have been around for years are classics for a reason so I stick with them as I have no interest in trying loads. I use MWF, to which I add my own preferred scent, Tabac, and Cella soaps only, with Cella being slightly softer. If you have sensitive skin and no preference for fruity scents then I strongly recommend Taylor Of Old Bond Street Jermyn Street Collection for sensitive skin. It has a musky fougere fragrance with a hint of patchouli. My skin is not sensitive at all and I love this cream. Good luck.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Have checked out the Vendor Forum? There is some great products to be found. Captain’s Choice sells some fantastic soaps and creams and he does sell sampler packs so if you get a sample that you don’t like you are not stuck with a full puck. He is just one of several that make great products.

Also depends what you see as cream and as soap?
For me croap (softer soap not a brick and to thick for a tube) is the most used one
In general the harder the soap the lower the usage and a bit harder to lather (for some).

USA I would give stirling (pine sheep) or maybe for real sensitive the unscented with beeswax.
And if you like menthol wintergreen.
they also have smaller samples so no need to get a big jar.

If you like the ToBS soaps, then try this: put a dime sized dab of each - Cremo and Neutrogena for Sensitive skin into your bowl and add just 5 drops of water, swirl it around to coat your bowl & brush, then add a few drops of water at a time. Count your drops so you can shortcut it next time. You'll get a thick, slick and dense lather that is as good or better than even ToBS soaps, and is really cheap.

It's the blend I use to compare all other soaps & so far, there are none better.

I started off with creams but have mostly moved to soaps now. My favorite creams were Nancy Boy, ToBS Avocado, Palmolive, and Proraso Green. My favorite soaps, well. First, I'll just link some recent B&B posts as a guide.

My with that said, my recommendations would go like this:

(1) Get a mutton or sheep tallow based soap. They are awesome. Mitchell's Wool Fat is a crowd favorite, but I like Stirling's Sheep (unscented) without having tried MWF.
(2) Get a vegan soap. I'm not saying splash the cash on Martin de Candre (you can if you want, it's a favorite). But Southern Witchcrafts and Catie's Bubbles make good ones. You'll notice I'm not saying what scent to get, but only a base. Scents are very specific to a nose. In my opinion, the soap base performance is independent from the scent.
(3) Get a another tallow-based soap. So many here. I prefer Murphy and McNeil, but also like Zingari Man (sego base) and Declaration Grooming (milksteak base). But also Stirling—the crazy amount of scents is hard to resist or go wrong with. And Wholly Kaw. And.... (I could go on).

With that said, I will now break my general recommendations :) I personally prefer animal-based soaps.

I'd recommend based on my experiences:
(1) Stirling Sheep (or a scented version of their mutton base) (~$14 + shipping)
(2) Murphy and McNeil (pick a scent) (they have lovely cologne dupes of Creed's Aventus and Green Irish Tweed, also Dior Sauvage, for example) (~$20 with free US shipping); and
(3) Zingari Man (sego) Nomad (nice lime scent) (~US$21 + shipping).
I believe the above three all are in containers of at least 5 ounces (a lot of other soap makers use 4 ounces at similar if not higher pricing).

Buying from a place like Maggard's can reduce shipping costs (or eliminate them if you hit the price minimum). Also, as someone said, samples are nice too. Maggard's has a lot of samples to offer (Stirling and M&M offer samples as well on their own websites). You can put samples in simple cheap plastic food storage containers (preferably round ones, like Glad or some such).

Last edited:
Mix a dab each of Cremo and Neutrogena for Sensitive Skin in your bowl. It produces a thick lather, slicker than anything else I've ever used. It's cheap & you can get both at Walmart, so there's no shipping charges or wait for delivery.
Shannon's Soaps are also first rate, as are ToBS and Stirling Soaps.

shavefan

I’m not a fan
Speick is a great cream and pretty gentle for sensitive skin, about $7 on AMZN. Haslinger is a favorite around here and definitely worth a go. About $8-$9.

Geo F Trumpers Spanish Leather is awesome.
Not sure if you like lavender, but if you do, check out Ach Brito Lavanda.
TOBS Avocado is my favorite of their line.
For pure luxury, Hemingway Accoutrements shave creme is exceptional, with aftershave balsalm (lotion) makes your skin feel like velvet. But it is quite costly unless you catch a sale.
Some interesting ones for me to look into there, have you used Musgo Real yet??

Ah ok! I'm probably going to get the cream soon, I'll throw up a review when I do. I ordered Karo Kapo sensitive last night so will be interested to see how that performs!

All the Proraso and TOBS creams are top-notch products! The nice thing about creams is it's easy to control how much product you use: no counting swirls, looking at a clock, etc. Just a snurdle, or roughly an inch-worth of cream and you have enough for a couple of passes at least, just watch your water.

Sometimes drying can occur when either under or over loading product. Having said that, the Proraso Red and Blue are most moisturizing for me but the Green and White are just killer summer creams for when it's hot and humid out.

TOBS Sandalwood is a great cream and I even like their soaps and shave sticks too. All their scents smell very expensive and classy to me, the best smelling/longest lingering of everything I've tried to date, even way more expensive stuff like MdC.

If you have a TJ Maxx or Home Goods near you you just might stumble upon all 4 variation of Proraso for $5 a pop. That's what I would do if I were you.

Top Bottom