What's new

Some Thoughts on Cat Urine (and The Veg)

There has been increasing discussion of the off-aroma that many of us experience from The Veg - Clubman Lilac Vegetal. Members here have attributed to be a chemical leeching into the aftershave from the plastic used in Clubman bottles, and that by transferring the AS to a glass bottle allows this chemical to off-gas and eliminates the off-aroma. This worked for me with a bottle of Whiskey Woods. This is great news for those who aren't "chosen" as they now have a solution to the cat **** problem. My reason for this post isn't the off-gassing issue, but rather the interesting fact that some are "chosen" and can sense the catty aroma while others cannot.

Beer brewers and IPA enthusiasts have long known that there is a hop varietal, Simcoe, that has a distinct "catty" aroma for some (catty is the polite flavor descriptor for feline pee). And while many are absolutely repulsed by the cattiness, others can't even detect it. It turns out that we all have "olfactory blind spots." For example, take Galaxolide. This is a sunthetic chemical often used in cosmetics. About 40% of people smell absolutely nothing while the other 60% detect a floral aroma. This blind spot is a preference, it is life long and has a genetic basis. Do you taste what I taste? It has long been known in homebrewing circles that Simcoe's catty aroma is one of these possible genetic blind spot aromas.

While we can't know if the chemical in Simcoe hops and the cat pee aroma in The Veg are the same chemical, the idea of being "chosen" by The Veg as being a permanent thing (not a preference mood that can change) suggests at least a parallel. This makes it clear to me that the cat urine aroma in The Veg also exists in one of these olfactory blind spots. Anyone else have a similar experience?

I don't have the article about it on hand, but I read that there's a similar reason why some people love cilantro and others can't stand it.

I agree with this. I get a slight bit of what turns off many men about the Veg, but not enough that it impedes my enjoyment. There's other examples. I know I'm way more sensitive to mildew smells than many other people I've been around in my life. I keep find myself saying "you can't smell that??" when around, say, dish towels or sponges that need to be cleaned/tossed.

I don't have the article about it on hand, but I read that there's a similar reason why some people love cilantro and others can't stand it.

I'm one of those cilantro haters. Ever since cilantro entered the American version of Mexican food 20 or 30 years ago, I've been on the watch for cilantro. When I grew up in Colorado, there was no cilantro to be found. One of the few instances of the old days being better days...

Lucky for me, I smell none of the negatives discussed on this forum when I use the Veg!

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
I could smell the cat pee. Your theory also explains why 40% of non users dont smell it on users who are also in that 40%

Before the chemists working for Coco Chanel came out with the first synthetic perfume , Chanel #5 , perfumes were formulated with water , alcohol, glycerin and natural aromatics from trees, fruits, berries, minerals, and most of all florals...After 1925 everybody including the Veg , got on the high profit boat and switched to synthetics...The expensive extracts were gone , and what made the Veg unique , the natural animal civet , were all replaced by cheap synthetics...The feline urine scent is a horrible imitation of natural civet , a sweet, sensual musk aroma....

Much the same would appear to hold true for Lucky Tiger's Aspen AS. At first application, there is a hint of skunk, eventually giving way to a powdery scent.

I suppose someone shoul
Before the chemists working for Coco Chanel came out with the first synthetic perfume , Chanel #5 , perfumes were formulated with water , alcohol, glycerin and natural aromatics from trees, fruits, berries, minerals, and most of all florals...After 1925 everybody including the Veg , got on the high profit boat and switched to synthetics...The expensive extracts were gone , and what made the Veg unique , the natural animal civet , were all replaced by cheap synthetics...The feline urine scent is a horrible imitation of natural civet , a sweet, sensual musk aroma....

That’s an amazing piece of scent history. Industrialism, while overall bringing more products of higher quality, has certainly left behind some things of beauty as you describe.

In this case I don’t believe that the off scent I’m detecting is an intentional addition to the scent profile. In the pic below I show two bottles. On the right is the original plastic bottle of Whiskey Woods, on the left a glass bottle into which I decanted half of the first bottle late last week. Over the course of the weekend the catty aroma of the first diminished in the sample in the glass bottle, and persisted in the plastic.

As of today, there is a big, undeniable and overwhelming difference in the two. The glass smells like...well...Whiskey and Wood. The plastic? Whiskey, wood and cat pee.

I’m fairly convinced that the plastic Clubman uses is contributing an off aroma that I and many others perceive as catty.

proxy.php

I recently purchased “The Veg” just to see what the fuss was about. It was cheap so if I tossed it, I wouldn’t be upset. Apparently I am a “chosen one” as it is said often on here.

Neither my wife nor I were thrilled with the scent from the bottle but I have used many AS and colognes over the years to know that bottle smell and skin smell can be very different. I found this to be true with The Veg.

It smells completely different once I put it on. I use it after a Lavender soap and lavender infused witch hazel. The smell does stay for a long time but becomes very subtle and refreshing very quickly on me.

My wife couldn’t believe it was the same product after I applied a splash. I have also learned that less is definitely more with this stuff. A couple of quick splashes in the palm of the hand is all that’s needed.

It is definitely a part of my general rotation now. I may try decanting to glass if needed but I’ll see how it goes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I recently purchased “The Veg” just to see what the fuss was about. It was cheap so if I tossed it, I wouldn’t be upset. Apparently I am a “chosen one” as it is said often on here.

Neither my wife nor I were thrilled with the scent from the bottle but I have used many AS and colognes over the years to know that bottle smell and skin smell can be very different. I found this to be true with The Veg.

It smells completely different once I put it on. I use it after a Lavender soap and lavender infused witch hazel. The smell does stay for a long time but becomes very subtle and refreshing very quickly on me.

My wife couldn’t believe it was the same product after I applied a splash. I have also learned that less is definitely more with this stuff. A couple of quick splashes in the palm of the hand is all that’s needed.

It is definitely a part of my general rotation now. I may try decanting to glass if needed but I’ll see how it goes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Congratulations and welcome to the chosen!

I suppose someone shoul

That’s an amazing piece of scent history. Industrialism, while overall bringing more products of higher quality, has certainly left behind some things of beauty as you describe.

In this case I don’t believe that the off scent I’m detecting is an intentional addition to the scent profile. In the pic below I show two bottles. On the right is the original plastic bottle of Whiskey Woods, on the left a glass bottle into which I decanted half of the first bottle late last week. Over the course of the weekend the catty aroma of the first diminished in the sample in the glass bottle, and persisted in the plastic.

As of today, there is a big, undeniable and overwhelming difference in the two. The glass smells like...well...Whiskey and Wood. The plastic? Whiskey, wood and cat pee.

I’m fairly convinced that the plastic Clubman uses is contributing an off aroma that I and many others perceive as catty.

proxy.php

Andy , you're right about plastic " in general ",I try to avoid it and have almost nothing in plastic...A few items I have like Sea Breeze ( great as aftershave ) I purchased vintage glass bottles for and got rid of the new plastic.... A few of the members here also stated over the years that when manufacturers switched from glass to plastic, the scent and formula changed as well... Aqua Velva users noticed this , and I did as well...Glass is best !

There has been increasing discussion of the off-aroma that many of us experience from The Veg - Clubman Lilac Vegetal. Members here have attributed to be a chemical leeching into the aftershave from the plastic used in Clubman bottles, and that by transferring the AS to a glass bottle allows this chemical to off-gas and eliminates the off-aroma. This worked for me with a bottle of Whiskey Woods. This is great news for those who aren't "chosen" as they now have a solution to the cat **** problem. My reason for this post isn't the off-gassing issue, but rather the interesting fact that some are "chosen" and can sense the catty aroma while others cannot.

Beer brewers and IPA enthusiasts have long known that there is a hop varietal, Simcoe, that has a distinct "catty" aroma for some (catty is the polite flavor descriptor for feline pee). And while many are absolutely repulsed by the cattiness, others can't even detect it. It turns out that we all have "olfactory blind spots." For example, take Galaxolide. This is a sunthetic chemical often used in cosmetics. About 40% of people smell absolutely nothing while the other 60% detect a floral aroma. This blind spot is a preference, it is life long and has a genetic basis. Do you taste what I taste? It has long been known in homebrewing circles that Simcoe's catty aroma is one of these possible genetic blind spot aromas.

While we can't know if the chemical in Simcoe hops and the cat pee aroma in The Veg are the same chemical, the idea of being "chosen" by The Veg as being a permanent thing (not a preference mood that can change) suggests at least a parallel. This makes it clear to me that the cat urine aroma in The Veg also exists in one of these olfactory blind spots. Anyone else have a similar experience?

Great explanation! Thanks! :a14::a14:

Top Bottom