What's new

Some thoughts and questions on lathering

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
I like to have enough slick, not overly fluffy, lather for three passes with enough for more if needed, loaded into a fairly small brush, either a Kent BK4 or a Simpson T2 synthetic. I like to build my lather by wetting my brush with hot water, swirling it on top of the puck, and then painting it on, using a little more swirling on my face only if needed. Although over the years I have used a wide variety of soaps (and a few creams), in recent years I have had original Pre de Provence in the small tin, TOBS and AOS sandalwood bought by the refill puck and kept in a wooden bowl, and a big puck of MdC Fougere in its plastic tub. I have observed that in order to get terrific lather by swirling atop the puck it takes on the order of a scant ten seconds with the PdP, a little more with AOS, thirteen or more with the TOBS, and about two (!) with the MdC. I find the little badger works best on the MdC, and the T2 is more effective with the others. I realize everyone seeks something uniquely theirs as they go about lathering, but I would be interested in the experiences of others, primarily those who just jump onto the top of a dry puck with a wet brush. As I nibble away at these pucks I am looking for evidence on the issue of whether having to work longer or more aggressively to build lather has a material impact on the life of the puck and, conversely, whether the almost instantaneous lather I get with the MdC will also lead to longer puck life, supporting my delusion or rationalization for buying that expensive soap. in that regard, it was a tub of AOS cream that went away astoundingly quickly, that convinced me to drop my flirtation with creams. It simply got used up far too quickly.

Wow ! That's a pretty intense thought process. Good for you !

For me, things are a lot simpler. I have many different brushes and many different soaps and creams.
I do not measure how much time it takes to get a great lather. I simply wet my brush, swirl it on a dry
soap puck for however long it takes to properly load, and then start face lathering. Each brush -- soap
combination is different, and I try to maximize the lathering potential of each one.

For creams, it's different. I wet the brush, put a nice amount of cream into the brush with my finger,
and then bring the brush into a bowl or warm scuttle and whip up a dense creamy lather. Then, a nice
application to my face, and all ready to shave. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Last edited:

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
Wow ! That's a pretty intense thought process. Good for you !

For me, things are a lot simpler. I have many different brushes and many different soaps and creams.
I do not measure how much time it takes to get a great lather. I simply wet my brush, swirl it on a dry
soap puck for however long it takes to properly load, and then start face lathering. Each brush -- soap
combination is different, and I try to maximize the lathering potential of each one.

For creams, it's different. I wet the brush, put a nice amount of cream into the brush with my finger,
and then bring the brush into a bowl or warm scuttle and whip up a dense creamy lather. Then, a nice
application to my face, and all ready to shave.
I didn't start off trying to overthink it. It just happened. You have a rhythm for a lot of little things you do. The rhythm for PdP or TOBS wasn't that different, but eventually I noticed the TOBS took a tiny bit more effort. I was a one brush guy at the time. Then I got the T2 and found it built nice lather more quickly. Then one day this diabolical forum convinced me to try MdC. I opened the box and was admonished by the printed insert to use a badger brush. I dutifully obliged and proceeded as I would with any other soap. It was like a scene out of Fantasia. There was lather everywhere. The next day I dialed it way back. After a few days I determined I could make a sufficiency of terrific lather with only a few turns. I tried the T2 on the MdC, and it was phenomenal, too. IMO the MdC stuffer could recommend synthetics and not be steering anyone wrong. Then I went through the rotation counting off the seconds to quantify the differences I had already noticed.

I didn't start off trying to overthink it. It just happened. You have a rhythm for a lot of little things you do.

I wish you all good things with your shaves. We share a wonderful hobby with many variables, and it's
a ton of fun to experiment, explore, and exhilarate. (okay, ... so I like to use alliterations.) :thumbup: :thumbup:

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
I wish you all good things with your shaves. We share a wonderful hobby with many variables, and it's
a ton of fun to experiment, explore, and exhilarate. (okay, ... so I like to use alliterations.) :thumbup: :thumbup:
Exactly! Excused. Exit.

My very first tub of shave soap was a cream. Years ago. I've never bought a second one. I went through a phase of triple milled stuff because it lasted so long. I no longer care how long a soap lasts and am currently enjoying Italian style soft soaps more than anything else. I'm also on a boar binge and typically load the brush anywhere from 60 seconds to two minutes. Great fun.

Top Bottom