What's new

Some things I've learnt after a few shaves

This is an update from my newbie check-in post here. Thought it worthwhile to capture some things that I've learnt since then.

First, some updates:
  • I had my vintage SR honed by DC Blades (Thanks @Substance !), and had my first shave with it last night, which I really enjoyed.
  • In the meantime, I've been shaving a few times per week with a cheap shavette.
  • I now have an acrylic block, lapping film and two Gold Dollar razors to have a crack at honing with.
Some things I've learnt so far:
  • Shavette vs SR #1. People say that the shavette is less forgiving, which is definitely true. I had plenty of weepers and a few decent nicks from what seemed like tiny technique mistakes. Only one shave, but I had less irritation with the SR. Still enjoyed shaving with the shavette, and I reckon it's a reasonable way for newbies to try out SR without dropping $$$.
  • Shavette vs SR #2. In other ways, I found SR 'less forgiving': I had to pay more attention to technique like skin stretching and blade angle to get the same results as with the shavette. The blade is also longer than the shavette, so it needs more attention to manoeuvring of the blade to get the right approach for different parts of the face.
  • HHT is just a guide to shave readiness (as per advice from @PintoPlain, @Mastropiero and others). After getting the blade back from honing, I did the HHT on it, and was slightly concerned at the results. However, there was nothing to be worried about, I'm happy with how it shaved.
  • Geez, shaving around the chin is difficult! Tricky angles and face contours, combined with thicker hairs (more greys). I'm getting it done, but still haven't figured out the best approach.
Looking forward to learning more as I go along, and particularly keen to try my hand at honing.

Thanks again to everyone who has given me advice, and everyone on the forum for all your contributions.

Sounds like you are getting well and truly addicted. If you can find a good rehab, let us know.
He could be like me. I don't have a problem, I can stop buying razors whenever I want.

As an aside, and on a completely unrelated note, I should have a photo to update the Heljestrand wiki in a few days.

@BaileyJ, good to hear your shaves are coming on nicely. Every now and then my chin isn't as smooth as I would like, but there is not usually any harm in leaving it until the next day. It does take time (and patience) to figure out angles and contours. I'm sure you'll get there.

This is an update from my newbie check-in post here. Thought it worthwhile to capture some things that I've learnt since then.

First, some updates:
  • I had my vintage SR honed by DC Blades (Thanks @Substance !), and had my first shave with it last night, which I really enjoyed.
  • In the meantime, I've been shaving a few times per week with a cheap shavette.
  • I now have an acrylic block, lapping film and two Gold Dollar razors to have a crack at honing with.
Some things I've learnt so far:
  • Shavette vs SR #1. People say that the shavette is less forgiving, which is definitely true. I had plenty of weepers and a few decent nicks from what seemed like tiny technique mistakes. Only one shave, but I had less irritation with the SR. Still enjoyed shaving with the shavette, and I reckon it's a reasonable way for newbies to try out SR without dropping $$$.
  • Shavette vs SR #2. In other ways, I found SR 'less forgiving': I had to pay more attention to technique like skin stretching and blade angle to get the same results as with the shavette. The blade is also longer than the shavette, so it needs more attention to manoeuvring of the blade to get the right approach for different parts of the face.
  • HHT is just a guide to shave readiness (as per advice from @PintoPlain, @Mastropiero and others). After getting the blade back from honing, I did the HHT on it, and was slightly concerned at the results. However, there was nothing to be worried about, I'm happy with how it shaved.
  • Geez, shaving around the chin is difficult! Tricky angles and face contours, combined with thicker hairs (more greys). I'm getting it done, but still haven't figured out the best approach.
Looking forward to learning more as I go along, and particularly keen to try my hand at honing.

Thanks again to everyone who has given me advice, and everyone on the forum for all your contributions.
I share most of your thoughts. I am trying a straight razor recently too.

I wonder why straight razor users don't like shaving with an ac razor with a Feather Proguard blade. I think that they would love it.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I share most of your thoughts. I am trying a straight razor recently too.

I wonder why straight razor users don't like shaving with an ac razor with a Feather Proguard blade. I think that they would love it.
Because traditional straight razor shaving becomes addictive. There is hopefully still time for you to stop and save yourself.

Take it from me, I know. If you don't stop now, you'll go blind.

Top Bottom