What's new

Some Suggestions Requested - beginners setup....

Gents,
Before this board is shoved off full force - I/we should write a few little tidbits for new guys, such as equipment lists.

I am looking for 3 types - a barebones, cheap equipment list, a high quality equipment list, and then a "do it once and do it right" equipment list.

Possible items - pre-shave, razor, brush, cream/soap, aftershave

Fire away gentlemen! Lets see what we can come up with!

My proposed 3 setups....

1.) Omega Boar brush ($12.50) , Omega Shave soap ($6), Merkur Classic long handle ($24), Proraso A/S pre-post, liquid cream, or splash ($12)
Net - $54.50

2.) Savile Row SR-208 Tortoise brush ($58), Jar of Taylors Shaving cream ($13.50), Merkur Slant Bar ($33), Crabtree & Evelyn Nomad a/s balm ($30)
Net - $134.50

3.) Shavemac XXL Horn Handle brush ($109), Jar of Castle Forbes Shaving Cream ($27.50), Merkur Vision ($99), CAR A/S moisture Cream ($35)
Net - $270.50

I post this out of ignorance. I don't have a slant bar, but my understanding is that it is MUCH easier to take a "slice out of life" with the slant. Would the Progress be a better fit in group #2?

Randy

I would suggest for #1 that the razor could be HD classic or the classic long handle as mentioned. Though the HD classic is a few bucks more($33?) it is one of the most common starter DE these days. And, if I may add, one damn good razor.

:smile:

I know we want to Keep It Simple Stupid, but perhaps there needs to be some options for razors, e.g. either a or b. Additionally, how about blades if we are into consumables?
Just some thoughts... :confused:

1) Would you suggest a bristle or a inexpensive badger for the low-end? My brother had been using a bristle, but when I bought him an inexpensive badger from QED he couldn't beleive how much better it was. Of course, it adds another $20 which gets the price pretty high, and I don't know how the Omegas stack up....

2) For the mid-range, how about the Progress over the slant? I've used the slant a couple of times, and I wouldn't suggest it as a starter razor to anybody who's friendship I wanted to keep. You could switch out the C&E balm for Trumper's Skin Food and there wouldn't be a huge price impact.

3) How about a basic "get 'rm interested" list as well. Each person we can get off of canned foam or an electric and onto at least a decent product like King of Shaves or Cremo-Cream is one more person liberated from our evil shaving overlords. Something like KOS gel + Proraso pre/post for afters....

Dave C

Joel,

I think you've got the right idea and the items mentioned in group #1 look good for people that money is the overwelming concern. The I items in group #2 are good. In group #3 I would change the razor to either a Merkur Progress or the Merkur Futur. Because over and over again, I hear from people that the Vision doesn't shave any better than thease razors and I have heard of a lot of maintainence problems with the vision.

Paul.

I'd recommend this set-up for all beginners as probably satisfying all three roles of being high-quality, affordable and "do it once, do it right":

Vulfix 2234 Super Badger Brush ($60); Proraso Shaving Cream ($11); Merkur HD Classic ($34); Proraso liquid cream ASB, or splash ($12) -- and an absolutely MUST have item for all beginners -- West Coast Shaving's DE "Choice" Sampler Pack ($13.75), for a total of $130.75 (not including shipping). This package also allows for one-stop shopping at either classicshaving or Lee's for all items, except of course for the sampler pack.

I would like to see Musgo Real in one of the set ups, possibly no. 1 since it is inexpensive and easy to lather.

Imagine the contention trying to come up with three straight sets with the same parameters. They would have but one thing in common, Tony Miller strops.

I'd recommend this set-up for all beginners as probably satisfying all three roles of being high-quality, affordable and "do it once, do it right":

Vulfix 2234 Super Badger Brush ($60); Proraso Shaving Cream ($11); Merkur HD Classic ($34); Proraso liquid cream ASB, or splash ($12) -- and an absolutely MUST have item for all beginners -- West Coast Shaving's DE "Choice" Sampler Pack ($13.75), for a total of $130.75 (not including shipping). This package also allows for one-stop shopping at either classicshaving or Lee's for all items, except of course for the sampler pack.

I think a stiffer brush for starters. Just judging by how people post, Vulfixes often end up living in drawers after a while, maybe 1 time out of 2, but I suspect closer to three out of four.

I'm glad the thread has been resurrected. I keep seeing people asking about a basic setup and I'm glad to now have a thread to point them to.

I think my "basic" kit is also the kind of thing that could be used successfully for years. The problem is that there are multiple vendors so it's not really a one-stop-shop kind of thing:

Merkur Classic Razor, $32.17 shipped from classicshaving.com
Economy Blade Sampler, $10.30 shipped from westcoastshaving.com
Crabtree and Evelyn Best Badger Brush, $35.00 plus tax from your local C&E
Nancy Boy Signature Shave Cream, $25.00 shipped from Nancy Boy Inc.
Old Spice Classic Aftershave, $8.49 plus tax from your local chain drugstore

Total $110.96 plus applicable sales taxes.

I think a stiffer brush for starters. Just judging by how people post, Vulfixes often end up living in drawers after a while, maybe 1 time out of 2, but I suspect closer to three out of four.

Agree 100%

The C&E BB at $35 or a Rooney 1 or 2 small for $75 are better choices - unless the B&B Essential goes into full production, at which point, that's what I'd recommend in terms of a good first badger.

Reading a bit deeper, I tend to avoid Proraso green shave creams for beginners. The menthol can be numbing, which might make for a more comfortable shave, but there may well be payback.

I think Musgo is wonderful but the heavy lanolin content might not be a good fit for all beginners. It can sometimes be really hard to rinse off your razor and brush too depending on your water hardness.

I thought about the menthol in Proraso being a potential issue, but the upside is that with Proraso a beginner can make great lather with any brush and little effort. Personally I think it's the Proraso pre/post shave that is the culprit in creating a menthol burn for most users -- not the cream alone, so that's why I'd recommend skipping the pre/post.

If not Proraso, then my next choice would be to upgrade to Nancy Boy Signature ($18). It's tougher to make lather with, but is sensitive enough for all skin types and has a light scent is not likely to offend many users. Some new guys will freak on the name however and never be able to get passed it. For a totally inexpensive alternative, it wouldn't hurt to start with Col. Conk Amber ($5) just to see if you even like wet shaving.

The C&E is probably a better recommendation since it's widely available, so I'd sub that instead of the Vulfix.

Gents,
Before this board is shoved off full force - I/we should write a few little tidbits for new guys, such as equipment lists.

I am looking for 3 types - a barebones, cheap equipment list, a high quality equipment list, and then a "do it once and do it right" equipment list.

Possible items - pre-shave, razor, brush, cream/soap, aftershave

Fire away gentlemen! Lets see what we can come up with!

My proposed 3 setups....

1.) Omega Boar brush ($12.50) , Omega Shave soap ($6), Merkur Classic long handle ($24), Proraso A/S pre-post, liquid cream, or splash ($12)
Net - $54.50

2.) Savile Row SR-208 Tortoise brush ($58), Jar of Taylors Shaving cream ($13.50), Merkur Slant Bar ($33), Crabtree & Evelyn Nomad a/s balm ($30)
Net - $134.50

3.) Shavemac XXL Horn Handle brush ($109), Jar of Castle Forbes Shaving Cream ($27.50), Merkur Vision ($99), CAR A/S moisture Cream ($35)
Net - $270.50

To 3; I would add Castle Forbes Pre Shave; it is non oily and the stuff really impressed me.

There are so many variables to the three categories. What is basic or high quality to one person, isn't necessarily to another. It's not the 'Razor on hand', but the 'hand on the razor', etc., that effects a great shave (which is the Nirvana we're all seeking). A 'cheap' setup can effect a great shave and a 'high quality' setup can effect a poor shave But, here goes:

1.) basic: vintage gillette (like a SS) at antique mall $5. VDH boar brush $4. 10 pack of Personnas $1.50. VDH glycerin soap $1.50. Every Man Jack aftershave lotion $4. Total: $16

2.) good quality: HD Classic $34 . decent badger $35. blades $4. TOBS tub of cream $13. Good aftershave lotion $7 Total: $93

3)great quality: Merkur Futur $59. Super badger $70. blades $5. Expensive cream (brand of choice) $35. Honest to Goodness Grapefruit AS lotion $8. Total: $177

Note: step three has a large variable which doesn't equate to quality. Some brushes cost $100,s and some creams are way overpriced.

Studman is going in the direction I was thinking. For TRUELY cost conscious beginners, I would think they would be much happier finding an old superspeed to start. They can find their own at an antique mall or if they're lucky find a nice PIF offer.

My other thoughts are that each level (organized by price) can easily accomodate a variety of items due to the YMMV factor. And that aftershave splash might be an unneccessary category as there are so many very affordable products to choose from that are readily available.

Net - $54.50

Net - $134.50

Net - $270.50

1) Tweezerman badger (we are BADGER and Blade after all). Omega Soap can be Col. Conk, Wars, or Arko.
2) C&E BBB ($35), TOBS Avocado ($13.50), Merkur HD ($33), Liquid Proraso ($14), Blade Sampler ($21). Net - $116.50
3) Looks good!!

Top Bottom