What's new

Some Suggestions Requested - beginners setup....

Having only recently graduated from newbie status myself, I'd also suggest the Superspeed or it's brethren as economy starter razors. Even on over-priced Ebay, basic SS's are still going for only $10-20. (of course a PIF from here would be best.)

For a economy starter lather, since we're suggesting the C&E Best Badger Brush, why not also pick up a tube of their shave cream? That's what I started with and it's fairly slick, easy to lather, and inexpensive, too.

I'd also suggest the Superspeed or it's brethren as economy starter razors.

It's a great suggestion and I own some nifty vintage razors myself. But I'd be reluctant to suggest that for a brand new guy. He might not understand that a little cleaning and restoration is part of the fun. I'd hate for a potential convert to be put off by a hobo-stubble-encrusted SS regardless what kind of deal he got on it.

I to believe studman is going in the right direction as the basic set (#1) needs to be cost affective and easily assessable, to the person, when the interest to use a DE starts. Items listed in the other two categories will require online purchases for most folks and as such gives everyone a lot more leeway in their selection decisions.

I agree an SS should be in there somewhere for the new guy. I have both a Merkur and an SS and find the SS gives a more consistent and easier shave.

As to the brush I'm surprised nothing has been said about the Rooney line. They are priced no better or worse than the others. I have seen numerous threads on brush recommendations and Rooney is always one of the finalists. More so than any other I dare say.

Soaps and creams are really tough to narrow down and very personal. I guess I would throw Tabac and AOS as two tallow based soaps into the mix.

Top Bottom