What's new

Some Simpsons to take notice of

I took some pictures of the top Simpsons so you can make a comparison at one glance to get an impression:

proxy.php

From left to right: Chubby #3 super,Chubby #2 super, Persian Jar #3 super, Tulip #4 super, Emperor #3 super

proxy.php

From ltr: Polo #12 Best, Polo #12 barbed super, Polo #12 straight super, Polo #14 Manchurian super

proxy.php

From ltr: chubby #3 best, Chubby #3 barbed super, Chubby #3 straight super, Chubby #3 Manchurian super

The difference between "barbed" and "straight" super lies in the curved, curled, bent, split tips of the first and the straight (!) tips of the latter.

Barbed super feels very rough, while straight super feels relatively soft.

i hope these pictures are of some help to (relatively) "newbies"on B&B

Peter

Awesome pictures! :thumbsup:

What is with these barbs, anyway? My Shavemacs are the same way. I don't notice a huge difference in feel with them, though.

Now I'm excited...just 5 1/2 weeks till my PJ2 arrives...just 5 1/2 weeks till my PJ2 arrives...just 5 1/2 weeks till my PJ2 arrives...just 5 1/2 weeks till my PJ2 arrives...just 5 1/2 weeks till my PJ2 arrives...just 5 1/2 weeks till my PJ2 arrives...just 5 1/2 weeks till my PJ2 arrives...just 5 1/2 weeks till my PJ2 arrives...just 5 1/2 weeks till my PJ2 arrives...:rolleyes:

Randy

Scotto said:
Awesome pictures! :thumbsup:

What is with these barbs, anyway? My Shavemacs are the same way. I don't notice a huge difference in feel with them, though.

Scotto,

Indeed, the older Shavemacs ( from before july 2005) have exactly the same barbed super bristles as the barbed Simpsons. But the feel is rather rough compared to the badger of the "newer" Shavemacs/Savile Rows; as you might know, Bernd switched to softer, more thinner and more flexible badger somewhere in the summer of 2005.

Peter

Peter:

Thanks for the pix. It's really helpful to see them side by side when you're trying to determine size!

By the way Randy, when do you get YOUR PJ2?

Very nice pictoral.

Excuse my ignorance on the topic, but do you, as a consumer, have control over whether or not you get barbed tips? Is it random, or do you need to request one or the other?

Jerry and Khari,

Lee is out of the PJ2 and has to order it from "over there"! So...I guess it comes on a slow boat. So, he said about 6 weeks...and that was earlier this week. It'll be like getting a surprise. I'm so old, I'll have forgotten ordering it, and then one day...it'll just show up. So, if any of you get a thank you note...just ignore it!

Randy

Kyle said:
Very nice pictoral.

Excuse my ignorance on the topic, but do you, as a consumer, have control over whether or not you get barbed tips? Is it random, or do you need to request one or the other?

No Kyle,

You haven't got any control about it; it's like roulette; unless.....unless you purchase with a vendor who knows his matter and who knows EXACTLY what you're talking about when you refer to terms as "straigh" or "barbed" super;
i guess that by now, Robert Johnston of TGS has become such a vendor.

Peter

drP said:
No Kyle,

You haven't got any control about it; it's like roulette; unless.....unless you purchase with a vendor who knows his matter and who knows EXACTLY what you're talking about when you refer to terms as "straigh" or "barbed" super;
i guess that by now, Robert Johnston of TGS has become such a vendor.

Peter
You can add Lee at Lee's razors to that list. Just the other day he and I were talking about the "barbed" effect that appears to happen very frequently with the Chubby line. He is sending me a PJ3 that is not barbed. It should be here early next week and I will post then.

rschul2 said:
You can add Lee at Lee's razors to that list. Just the other day he and I were talking about the "barbed" effect that appears to happen very frequently with the Chubby line. He is sending me a PJ3 that is not barbed. It should be here early next week and I will post then.

You are going to f'in love that PJ3. I *think* I might come to like the PJ2 more, as it seems to have a bit more "shape" to the handle, and is a litle lighter, and abouthe perfect size, but for bigger brush lovers, the PJ3 is mighty, mighty nice. Personally - all of the "white" Simpsons I have used, I am not all that fond of, as they tend to simply look nicer, and be stiffer, and as is since Simpson packs the knots so %#^^ tight they are stiff regardless... I think this whole mad dash to get a "white" Simpson is asinine. Kinda like in the 80's when it was "the thing" to pay a fortune for the shirts with the little alligator logo/mark on the right breast. But alas.... to each their own.

joel said:
You are going to f'in love that PJ3. I *think* I might come to like the PJ2 more, as it seems to have a bit more "shape" to the handle, and is a litle lighter, and abouthe perfect size, but for bigger brush lovers, the PJ3 is mighty, mighty nice. Personally - all of the "white" Simpsons I have used, I am not all that fond of, as they tend to simply look nicer, and be stiffer, and as is since Simpson packs the knots so %#^^ tight they are stiff regardless... I think this whole mad dash to get a "white" Simpson is asinine. Kinda like in the 80's when it was "the thing" to pay a fortune for the shirts with the little alligator logo/mark on the right breast. But alas.... to each their own.
We'll see. I think that my Chubby 1 is about the perfect size for me and the PJ3 is supposed to have the same size knot. I don't know, just something about the shape of the PJ handle that just kept calling my name.

Just to ask here -as this seems to be the "simpson thread" do you like the polo handle? I mean - I think my Polo 12 handle LOOKS nice, but it is heavy (and heavy in the wrong places) and is uncomfortable/not ergonomic. The Persian Jar on the other hand is quite the contrary, as it looks nice, yet is the right weight, and is incredibly comfy/ergonomic.

Peter - Seeing as how you have every brush known to man :biggrin: how do you feel about the Simpson PJ line? Personally... I think it is their pride and joy... perfect mix of class, style, functionality, ergonomics, efficacy, and price.

Personally, I was a little skeptical about the polo handle. But once I had the chance to see it in person....I completely changed my mind. I like it alot. Nice weight and good functionality. Now, I really like the Polo 10 handle, but I personally found that the Polo 12 and 14 were just way too big for my tastes.

I'm pretty neutral on my Polo 8 handle. Don't love it, don't hate it. I do however, love the PJ2 handle. Still fighting off the urge for a PJ3.
Don't need another brush. Don't need another brush. Oh, who am I kidding! Need has absolutely NOTHING to do with what we do here! WANT WANT WANT. BUY BUY BUY. It's all about me.........
Sorry, I've been listening to the little lady too much lately.

If you guys are looking for Simpsons brushes at rock bottom prices, give Lee at Lee's Razors a call right now - he's stocking up cause we done cleaned him out. :w00t: He'll be calling them this week to try and push an order through. I'll keep you all updated. Just ordered an Emperor E3 super, Major super, and a backup PJ2 super - I don't ever want to be without this brush!

Top Bottom