What's new

Some Simpsons advice ..... please.

Decided I better snag one too and went to check how many are left and it told me only one ... Bought it and it still says only one... So Looks like 1-9 left and they're limiting you to one per order maybe... Or maybe my Amazon app is bugging out.

Long story short I ordered one. Thought about getting a second, but decided to let someone else get it. I don't need two.

Wow ! The Amazon website right now. Simpsons Duke 2 back up to a hundred bucks !!
I am so very glad that we who purchased it yesterday still got the $ 39 price. :thumbup::thumbup:

It was a steal at $38. $100, not so much. In my 10 year and 25+ brush experience, if you can afford $100 for a brush it's worth spending a little more for a 2-band Thater or Rudy Shavemac. Once you get spoiled by a good 2-band, it's really hard to reach for that Best or Silvertip brush.

There is so much personal preference, YMMV and also variability in deciding on which Simpson brush. My stable and thoughts from smallest to largest knot:
  • Wee Scot (best) is rarely used. It is very small and scritchy. Good once in a while as a change of pace but not for my regular use.
  • Case (best) is no longer owned. I found it scritchy and not anywhere near pleasant to use.
  • Major (super) is my normal travel brush. The turnback style is great for travel. The knot is more than adequate for a three pass shave and the face feel is great. This is an expensive brush for its size but I have no regrets about this purchase.
  • Classic 1 (synthetic) came in a nice travel case and is the quickest drying brush I own. However I’m not a synthetic fan. The brush is super soft on my face, has backbone but virtually no splay. It is a brush that I have kept in a kit left at a friend’s house.
  • Classic 2 (best) was my first Simpson brush. Great face feel and superb face lathering brush.
  • Duke 3 (best) is very similar in feel to the Classic 2. This brush is great for face lathering and is also my best Simpson brush for my occasional bowl lathering. I attribute the greater versatility to the taller handle.
  • Chubby 1 (super) is my densest (wall of badger) brush. A superb brush for face lathering and for me a true luxury.
What I have noticed from my limited and certainly not statistically valid sample is that the best grade in the Classic 2 and Duke 3 were equal to the super grade in the Chubby 1 and Major. The best grade in the no longer owned Case and the occasionally used Wee Scot could never be accused of being similar to the super grade.

Gentlemen ----- Today's Amazon delivery, right on time as promised ..... the $ 39 Duke 2 !
Right out of the box, and looking mighty handsome. Cannot smell any "badger stink" at all,
and the bristles seem very nicely backboned with delightfully soft tips. I'll face lather with
Ariana & Evans Asian Pear for this evemning's shave, and see how it goes.

E986887E-3D97-4B37-B63C-234952BF0187.jpeg
92B3D79B-CF56-4715-BD38-1B0A4E512DA9.jpeg

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Looks good @Adam18 , but like mine it seems to have a lot of those black hairs. At least mine does -- sure are a lot of black treetops in the forest.

Duke 2 came yesterday, I haven't had a chance to take a pic yet but it lathers great, only lost one hair. Personally I like a bit of scrubbiness and enjoy pure badger grades so this in best is fine for me. Such a variable grade at Simpson.

Okay, ..... just finished my first shave with Duke 2 Best. Face lathered with Ariana & Evans Asian Pear.
Very smooth, rich, thick lather, easily enough for three passes. No shedding, and a nice combination of
enough backbone and soft tips to produce a very comfortable experience. But, .... after all the publicity
and accolades that the Duke 2 receives, I was perhaps expecting something spectacular. My first shave
impressions are very good, but not all that much better than the results I get with my Berkeley Best or
my Special Best, both of which are normally priced below $ 39. So, initially, ..... I am very happy with
the Duke 2 as a $ 39 brush. I'm having a tough time imagining why it's worth the regular $ 100 price.
But, I'm staying open minded and objective, and I'm looking forward to using it with different soaps and
creams. I was hoping to "be blown away" by the Duke 2 Best, but not yet. We shall see .....

Last edited:
The Berkeley is a tough act to follow, that's a killer brush. I wish my Duke had the backbone of the Berkeley while keeping the larger/softer knot, but I guess it wouldn't be a Duke anymore now would it?

Variety is the spice of life, you'll probably have days where the Duke is exactly what you're looking for that day, and not so much on other days.

The Berkeley is a tough act to follow, that's a killer brush. I wish my Duke had the backbone of the Berkeley while keeping the larger/softer knot, but I guess it wouldn't be a Duke anymore now would it?

Variety is the spice of life, you'll probably have days where the Duke is exactly what you're looking for that day, and not so much on other days.

Nice comment, and much appreciated. I'm looking forward to enjoying the Duke more and more with each shave.

Try a Duke Manchurian?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was thinking Classic 1 in Best, but I don’t know....

Also a good brush, not as soft or as much backbone which you said you were looking for. If you really want backbone the Classic in best is only middle of the road.

For a less expensive alternative to the Duke that would be soft and dense enough to have a good backbone, a Chubby 1 in Super would be a great choice. The super is soft but packed in so dense it has great backbone.

Or, one of the Black Friday specials would be good since they are in two bad which is very strong yet stiff: the duke 1 they have would be quite strong since it’s very short hair. The tulip one also looks good, longer hair so a little more versatile.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom