What's new

Some razors just don't hold their value...

Timing is everything, in life and investments. Was a time you could have purchased an original Van Gogh painting from the artist himself for a couple of hundred francs. And you would likely have lost money over about the next 20 years, if you could sell it at all. However....

Nothing that is up for sale is worth more than what people are willing to pay for it. I learned that a long time ago. You can argue against this broad statement, but in the end all that matters is what people are willing to pay for it. If no one is willing to pay over $250 for a used $400 razor, then the razor is worth $250. Whether we like it or not.

Sorry that nobody wants to buy your used stuff at near retail cost but I'm not sure why you're surprised. It's the same for literally any product
Lol

I wasn't talking about myself, but rather pointing out something. And you missed my point.

Likewise, members that buy from BST threads shouldn't expect from sellers to offer their products at a huge loss and ask for a better price on top of this. 40% off IS a huge loss for an almost new item. Sellers are responsible for this.

Yeah, that's why its called a hobby and not an investment with perks lol.

It is what it is. Still a better investment than having bought silver in 2011. lol

Yeah, that's why its called a hobby and not an investment with perks lol.

It is what it is. Still a better investment than having bought silver in 2011. lol
Shaving is just like any other market with ups and downs. There are buyers and sellers. There are hobbyists and collectors ready to throw some serious cash.

OP, you make some excellent points. However, "everything is an investment," may be a bit much. (A six pack of beer is not an investment, for example, IMO.)

Nevertheless, yes, some things hold their value better than others.

Art, jewelry, even razors, with time, may be profitable. Maybe. If you live long enough. Equities strike me as a better choice, tho.

That's true and thank you for getting my point.

Nothing that is up for sale is worth more than what people are willing to pay for it. I learned that a long time ago. You can argue against this broad statement, but in the end all that matters is what people are willing to pay for it. If no one is willing to pay over $250 for a used $400 razor, then the razor is worth $250. Whether we like it or not.
That's because someone set a price on the secondary market.

There are also times it is worth more than the asking price but sellers are in immediate need for cash or they have no idea what the item is actually worth. The latter is something I see every time I visit flea markets and antique shops. Most sellers in such places have no idea, but they are pretty confident they know everything about their items. Lol

I bought an expensive Van der Hagen, and I'll bet it lost all its value in the last 156 shaves. That's a 100% loss in five months. Oh well. It was only a little over $12.00 and it shaves great. I'm thinking of buying a new one and getting it gold plated. That would only cost about $75.

I've watched the BST here for months, and I've bought about a half dozen razors from sellers here. Several of them are of vintage type and are fully depreciated (less than $20). But others are modern and no longer available and I expect I could get all of my money back just as the seller did with me. But for stuff that's currently available I'm willing to pay a small premium to deal with the original manufacturer and won't buy used if the savings is less than $20. For example I just bought a new Karve because the razor is not really expensive and all of the used offerings I saw were close to the new price. But it's a tool, for which I have no real justification expending any more money than on my first DE razor, a Merkur 34c. I do it because I can. I could also own four cordless drills if I wanted to, but it doesn't interest me like razors do. It's a fun hobby.

Some expensive razors are probably the worst investments.

You don't really care if your cheap zamak razors don't hold their value. Yes, they don't, but you don't lose much money.
But if this happens with razors that cost you a few hundreds euros/dollars, it's a different story. You keep them for a few months, use them every now and then, have them in perfect condition, and a day comes that you decide to sell them for x,y,z reasons. Such examples are the Rex, ATT, Mongoose, OneBlade, Timeless etc.
A new OneBlade Genesis costs $399 if I make no mistake. You won't sell them for more than $250, no matter the condition.
Mongooses are going for $100-120 and new cost $180. I'm referring to the ss model. That's a massive loss.
I've seen members asking less than $190 for an Ambassador in practically new condition and they can't get rid of them.
Isn't it amazing? We, the sellers, certainly have a fair share of responsibility for this.

The only expensive razors that hold their value are those that are not readily available (Wolfman is a very good example). Sometimes they are worth even more if they're special models. And I'm not necessarily talking about discontinued products like the BBS-1 or the Tradere. These will always gain in value. Even current models, the WR1 and WR2, hold their value and you really don't have to worry if you don't like them or regret buying them a year after the purchase. You will easily sell them within a few hours at no loss.

It surely is the market that drives the prices, this is the world we live in.
However, if a high-end item loses 35+% of its value within a few months, trying your luck with discontinued and vintage razors might be a better idea if you don't want to lose so much from a purchase that didn't go as you thought/wished.

Very good points.
I am always surprised at the number of "high end/price" razors up for sale in the BST sub-forum.
They seem to be purchased to try, and then put up for sale.

From the perspective of someone who couldn't begin to afford spending $300-400 for a razor, it would seem to me that, to someone who could, not getting $100 or $150 back on it if they decided they didn't want to keep it and sell it instead, would be an insignificant loss.

Agreed, if 100$ is a lot of money to you then you shouldn't be buying $400 razors when there are $20 ones that work just as well. If it's not a lot of money to you, then it's not worth the blood pressure increase getting bent out of shape over, what, a couple hours of work?

Likewise, members that buy from BST threads shouldn't expect from sellers to offer their products at a huge loss and ask for a better price on top of this. 40% off IS a huge loss for an almost new item. Sellers are responsible for this.

New products come with a warrantee and (ostensibly) the guarantee that it hasn't been damaged or mistreated, used products do not, and that easily makes up the cost difference between new and "like new"

Anyway all my razors (and cars) were bought used... at nowhere near list price

I think I get the point .. its in the thread title, i’m just not sure i understand the back and forth point.

Trying to make money or break even is kinda hard with shaving goods, especially trying to include payment fees and shipping.

If the used price is too close to the new retail price why would I buy used?
I’m sorry but I never thought buying a new, current production anything as an investment. If someone can turn around and buy a new one tomorrow, I have to make the price interesting or else I see no reason for the buyer to buy my used stuff. Same goes with what I flip the most: guitar equipment.

It would take me far, far too long to make money at 200-500 a pop to justify my effort.

I don't think 60% of retail is unfair for production level stuff. What's so unique about it that it's worth close to new price if it's not new? I just dont see it.

I get the idea some folks over pay for something they think is rare. They then try to sell them.

I suppose because vintage razors are not expensive, some new members amass many razors they have no idea what they have only to later try to dump them on others.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I get the idea some folks over pay for something they think is rare. They then try to sell them.

I suppose because vintage razors are not expensive, some new members amass many razors they have no idea what they have only to later try to dump them on others.
This is true, you only have to look at the usual international website to see overpriced shaving products that I guess have been bought from somewhere else thinking that they can make a huge profit. I have overpaid for shaving implements and I have been lucky in the other respect. I do get the original post about the depreciation. That is why I personally would not buy a brand new razor that costs a bucket load of money. Others will and it is their money to spend.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Right now the market is over-saturated with expensive, hi-end razors. In my opinion not all of them are worth their price, and certainly will not keep their price when sold. If you want to buy one to treat yourself - go ahead, but remember that you might lose money if you decide to get rid of it.

Great post!

For me (a self-defined user), the point of a new razor is to hope that it provides a more enjoyable shave! I am pleased to get back much (or any) of the price of an item that does not work out well. I have the same attitude about other things I purchase to use (cars, liquor, clothing, etc.) But that’s me!

Other acquaintances do well with ‘investments’ in cars, baseball cards, guns, watches and even fine wines! More power to those guys!!

My point is this: if you buy a hi-end item, if you "invest" your money in one, be prepared to lose a fair amount if it doesn't work you, unless it's one of those that hold their value.

Top Bottom