What's new

Some razors just don't hold their value...

Some expensive razors are probably the worst investments.

You don't really care if your cheap zamak razors don't hold their value. Yes, they don't, but you don't lose much money.
But if this happens with razors that cost you a few hundreds euros/dollars, it's a different story. You keep them for a few months, use them every now and then, have them in perfect condition, and a day comes that you decide to sell them for x,y,z reasons. Such examples are the Rex, ATT, Mongoose, OneBlade, Timeless etc.
A new OneBlade Genesis costs $399 if I make no mistake. You won't sell them for more than $250, no matter the condition.
Mongooses are going for $100-120 and new cost $180. I'm referring to the ss model. That's a massive loss.
I've seen members asking less than $190 for an Ambassador in practically new condition and they can't get rid of them.
Isn't it amazing? We, the sellers, certainly have a fair share of responsibility for this.

The only expensive razors that hold their value are those that are not readily available (Wolfman is a very good example). Sometimes they are worth even more if they're special models. And I'm not necessarily talking about discontinued products like the BBS-1 or the Tradere. These will always gain in value. Even current models, the WR1 and WR2, hold their value and you really don't have to worry if you don't like them or regret buying them a year after the purchase. You will easily sell them within a few hours at no loss.

It surely is the market that drives the prices, this is the world we live in.
However, if a high-end item loses 35+% of its value within a few months, trying your luck with discontinued and vintage razors might be a better idea if you don't want to lose so much from a purchase that didn't go as you thought/wished.

Last edited:
You make some good points. To me, buying razors as an investment is a bad idea. if you buy one because you like it and want one and it will make you happy, go for it, life is short so enjoy it. As an investment it's a crap shoot!

Mike

I'd say that's good for any consumer good you purchase, especially for one with a relatively strong used market like we see with razors. Especially for modern goods that are readily available, there is no scarcity to drive prices up (exception being, as you stated, limited release items). I wouldn't purchase a modern razor looking for an investment. I'd purchase one hoping for a high quality commodity to be used and possibly passed on one day to my kids.

Space_Cadet

I don't have a funny description.
Right now the market is over-saturated with expensive, hi-end razors. In my opinion not all of them are worth their price, and certainly will not keep their price when sold. If you want to buy one to treat yourself - go ahead, but remember that you might lose money if you decide to get rid of it.

Guys, if you pay $250-300-400 for an item, you surely want to hold its value and not be deappreciated to such a degree within a few months. Maybe investment isn't the most appropriate word to describe it. But buying a high-end item is some type of investment, you invest in your shaves, in your daily routine hoping for the best. And if you don't like them, you lose money. Also, there's some opportunity cost. Ask those that were in that position... They know what I'm talking about.

Sorry that nobody wants to buy your used stuff at near retail cost but I'm not sure why you're surprised. It's the same for literally any product

Guys, if you pay $250-300-400 for an item, you surely want to hold its value and not be deappreciated to such a degree within a few months. Maybe investment isn't the most appropriate word to describe it. But buying a high-end item is some type of investment, you invest in your shaves, in your daily routine hoping for the best. And if you don't like them, you lose money. Also, there's some opportunity cost. Ask those that were in that position... They know what I'm talking about.

If I am paying that kind of price for a razor, then I am not going to be selling it any time soon, and I have made darn sure that it is something I really want as opposed to a frivolous purchase. In my opinion, anyone who is trying to sell a $200.00+ razor within a year or two of purchase is asking to lose money, and has no justification to expect otherwise.

Further, razors are not investments, they are tools. There is the odd unicorn that CAN be used as a profit centre, but it is a one-time thing.

Ever bought a new car that lost 40% of its value in less than a year?

Cars lose about 20% of their value just driving off the lot and 15% each year after that until they fully depreciate. It's a little different too since cars are a higher priced good. For a razor, 20% depreciation is only $40 for a $200 razor. For many, myself included, $40 additional is worth buying new. Now, if I can save $80 on a $200 razor, now you have me interested. Additionally, in order to sell in an oversaturated used market you need to price it much lower since there is more competition.

Ever bought a new car that lost 40% of its value in less than a year?

Not me, but someone has. Many have.

Life is what it is. Buy what you like and can afford (financially and emotionally). I have expensive razors. I bought them new and used at market price because I wanted them.

At least one of the new buys will loose money when I sell it. I knew that when I bought it. It’s lost more value in the years since I bought it because of loss of faith in the brand, despite mine being a pre-QC issues build. And I haven’t used it in a couple years. It is what it is.

Life is short. Enjoy it while you can. If a person doesn’t understand the potential affects to the market and their purchases prior to purchase, that’s on them. If the loss of perceived value is so distressing, it goes back to my earlier statement of be emotionally ok with the purchase and life cycle of the item. If not, perhaps the purchase isn’t the best option for that individual.

I believe you’re crying over spilled milk, or potentially spilled milk. That’s your issue to manage.

Last edited:
It's really no different than buying a new vehicle or diamond ring. As soon as you drive off the lot it walk out of the store, their value goes down 100's or not 1000's of dollars.
As already stated, unless it's a rare item, it's going to depreciate.
If you want to invest, try precious metals or the stock market, but these have their own risks as well!

Nicolas,

my apologies, I did misread your OP. you’re not crying over spilt milk. If you deleted your reply, I appreciate that too. It wasn’t my intent to attack or insult, but I seemed to have from your perspective.

I don't want to start quoting each and every post I don't agree with. It makes no sense.
But I feel the need to quote my post from another forum that pretty much summarizes my thoughts:

Soooo, if you spend $200+ on a razor, you don't invest your money somewhere, hoping you'll get better shaves for example. You just throw your money away, without caring about how this will get your life better, if the money you invested in having better shaves were worth it, waiting to lose a fair amount the moment you decide to sell the razor. Oook.

Everything is an investment. If it makes your life easier, better, more enjoyable, it's some kind of investment. You invested your money somewhere. And there's an opportunity cost. Example: Oh man, I should have bought the other razor, but now I have less money available. That's a bummer.

That is my opinion and I thought I'd start a thread. If you don't understand the thread or think there was no point in starting one, I can't change your opinion as you can't change mine. We can all share opinions and thoughts, this is the purpose of the forums, but at least read the OP and get my point.

If you are buying a razor as an investment then you have to think like an investor.
A. There can be no more production. Buying custom razors when the maker is still making them is a guaranteed way to lose money. Anybody can just go and order one.
B. It has to be a quality razor, sought after brand. Some no name Sheffield won't ever become an expensive razor despite the fact that they are rare to find and not made anymore.
C. like stocks, never buy at the peak. Of course that's easy to say since who knows how the market will behave.

If you are buying a razor as an investment then you have to think like an investor.
A. There can be no more production. Buying custom razors when the maker is still making them is a guaranteed way to lose money. Anybody can just go and order one.
B. It has to be a quality razor, sought after brand. Some no name Sheffield won't ever become an expensive razor despite the fact that they are rare to find and not made anymore.
C. like stocks, never buy at the peak. Of course that's easy to say since who knows how the market will behave.
See my post above.

My Weber PH has turned out to be a good investment, although that was never my intention when I bought it.

From the perspective of someone who couldn't begin to afford spending $300-400 for a razor, it would seem to me that, to someone who could, not getting $100 or $150 back on it if they decided they didn't want to keep it and sell it instead, would be an insignificant loss.

I think this is a very interesting post with many excellent responses. Yes, you should expect to lose money when you resell a razor. Very few things appreciate, that's just the way life is.

If you have the means to buy razors to test them out to see if you like them and you do not plan on keeping them, you are going to lose money selling. I bought a Timeless razor a few months back and sold it for a loss this week. Before that I had purchased a Feather AS-D2 and sold it for a loss. I knew that going in, but wanted to try both of these razors. I am now considering selling a dozen razors and I know that I will likely lose money on each. I am not a collector, but really enjoy trying different vintage and modern razors. I have a budget for this recreation, so I know what I can expect to spend/lose.

To the collector who will buy and hold in hopes that his "investment" will pay off in the far off future, good luck. You really have to be lucky to find a rare razor at a good price. This is the only way I know to buy low and sell high in this market. There is really no data that I am aware to support future returns on vintage razors. Unfortunately, I haven't found squat in the wild that would cover any of my losses.

OP, you make some excellent points. However, "everything is an investment," may be a bit much. (A six pack of beer is not an investment, for example, IMO.)

Nevertheless, yes, some things hold their value better than others.

Art, jewelry, even razors, with time, may be profitable. Maybe. If you live long enough. Equities strike me as a better choice, tho.

Top Bottom