What's new

Some random thoughts on Vintage Gillette razors

Gillette Knack. Gem Featherweight. Mazda 3 Hatchback.

Name three things that are absolutely superb at doing what they are meant to do, but simply lack the design panache to ever become classic and collectible.

Very well written thoughts. As an example of YMMV, I have a 1938 Senator which is a TTO OC razor. I actually prefer a '46-'47 Aristocrat to the Senator. I also prefer the NEWs to the OTs. Overall, I prefer 3 piece to TTO designs. Good thing there are so many different vintage designs to choose from. There's something for everyone.

Thank you for your thoughts. To wordy? Who cares, it's your thread. I do like the idea of coming back to this thread a year from now and seeing if your experiences have changed. When newb's come in looking for ideas on vintage DE's to buy, this will be one of the threads that will come up. Everybody's experience is different, everybody's experience is personal and everybody's experience is significant.

Thank you for sharing.

New guy here with a couple of questions. Is the head of the slim similar to the head a super speed? Love my flair tip and wanted an adjustable, so I bought the slim in hope that it would be close enough as to cut down on the learning curve. And also which of the NEW razors do you recommend? Long comb or Short comb? Thanks

The Slim head is about the same size as a Flare Tip head. I have 3 Flare Tips and my slim is approximately the same size. Dial it down to about 4 or 5 and you'll get the exact same shave as a regular Flare Tip.

Top Bottom