What's new

Some random thoughts on Vintage Gillette razors

After one full year of DE shaving with various vintage Gillette razors as well as several other brands of vintage DE and SE razors I have some conclusions and surprise observations to share. (For what they are worth, being only the observations of a relative newbie to DE and SE shaving)

I can see why the DE and to a lessor degree the SE razor replaced the straight for everyday shaving. Now to the razors and particularly the Gillette razors and their qualities.

Using the Old Type razor for the first time I was impressed with just how mild mannered and easy it was to use. Now the razor has a narrower window of angle than latter Gillette razors. You must work a bit harder to maintain the optimal angle to keep the razor cutting the beard efficiently. But if you do your part and mind the angles, keep the pressure low, and maintain good clean technique you are rewarded with an excellent and super smooth shave.

In fact I believe the Old Type is the smoothest shaving razor Gillette ever made. There are of course variations in how the different styles of Old Type razors shave, and differences in the angle at which the different style of OT razors work. Some have a wider window and some have a narrower window.
But of those I have tried they all share the same smooth and mild manners.

Next is the NEW style razors. The NEW came later and was an improvement in razor design in a couple of ways but did not really get smoother or milder. What it did was to improve the window of angle significantly. The NEW will shave well at much different angles than the OT. What this really did was make it easier for more people to get really close and consistent shaves without having to be as precise as the OT demanded you to be.

The NEW is also a more robust and hardy design than the OT. It will endure drops, bumps, and bangs better. It also was more consistent in shave manners. So shavers could shave quicker, clean up quicker, and thus it is in many respects the high water mark for three piece razor designs.

The NEW is a joy to shave with it is somewhat more aggressive than the OT. It is still a smooth and mild razor but not as smooth as the OT. but what it lacks in smoothness it makes up for in ease of use and closeness of shave. It is the easiest of the vintage Gillette razors to get a quick BBS shave with. I find the NEW to be an almost twin to the Pre War triangle slot Tech. I can get the same quick and effortless BBS shave from these two razors. And unlike many I don't find there to be much difference between the shave quality of the Short or Long Comb versions of this razor. I find the biggest difference is between the possible handles. The Bar handle, Ball End, and other handles make a bigger difference to me than the length of the teeth on the comb.

The next vintage razor type is the TTO. Now I don't own nor have I shaved with a vintage open comb Gillette. (Not yet, but I will as soon as I find one I can afford!) but I have used every type and style of solid guard razors. And the best of these are an improvement over the three piece razor in a couple of ways.

The TTO like the NEW increased the window of angle at which the razor will cut well in most cases, the Blue Tip and some others like the Knack have the smallest window of angle and can be harder to use well than even the OT, and these razors made the process of shaving and getting good consistent results a little quicker and a little easier than the NEW for a larger number of people.

Again the increase or improvement is not necessarily in shave quality or closeness but is instead in how many people can use the razor and get consistent and acceptable results easily and cheaply.

Almost any three piece razor will beat almost any TTO in closeness and smoothness. But almost any TTO can be used and learned to be used well quicker than a three piece. I began my DE shaving with a TTO and it made the learning process easier than it would have been if I had started with a NEW or an OT. Now it wouldn't have been much harder to learn on the three piece, but I do believe there would have been a bit more blood let had I started with them. (I used too much pressure early and my technique was not great for a while, and thus the OT or NEW would likely have not produced as consistent results as the TTO did)

My first TTO was a 1959 Red Tip. I came to hate it when I got a Pre War Tech a month or so in to my DE journey, but it got me into DE shaving and helped develop my early technique. Later the Red Tip became a favorite razor and is still in my daily rotation of ten razors. I can get a quick and effortless two pass BBS shave from the Red Tip anytime. And it's a very predictable and consistent shaver. It's never been as smooth as the NEW or the OT, but it isn't a beast. It can bite if you get sloppy with your pressure or technique but is an excellent shaver if you do your part.

The next type I want to talk about is the Adjustable TTO razor. I got my first adjustable about four weeks into my DE journey. It was a 1963 SLIM and is still with me today. The adjustable was an improvement over the TTO in really only one way. It can be dialed up or down in blade gap. Which makes the razor unique.

I started using the Slim almost immediately after getting it. I found it to be the least consistent razor of all vintage Gillette razors. Getting the razor to shave well each time slows the shave down from the TTO or the three piece. The head design makes the razor a bit harder to get up close around the nose and the blade has just a bit more flex and movement than in the other types of razors.

I can see where some would enjoy the shave the Adjustable razor gives but I also know it is not my favorite. The Slim was replaced with three other adjustables and I have never found two Slim's that shave exactly alike.
Now that in an of itself makes shaving with one fun, you never know what you have got till you shave with it a few times, but all in all I don't like that the blade has a bit more flex and that the head design limits both how closely you can get around the nose and how closely you have to mind the angles to get consistent results. (In other words, I like TTO razors over adjustable razors because the heads are a bit slimmer and the blade is held more rigidly)

As with anything shaving related YMMV! And don't think I am attacking your favorite razor type, I am not. I love all these vintage razors and use every single one I have mentioned in my daily routine. But I do use and enjoy some more than others.

To me Gillette got a lot of things right in all their designs and generally made improvements with each successive generation of razors. But in that process they also lost some good points along the way and they picked up some bad habits in the process as well.

One razor that Gillette really made well and got a lot of thing right on was the Knack razor of the late 1960's. Many ignore or scoff at these lowly plastic handled razors. Some say they were cheap junk, others just don't like the looks, but what blows my mind is that if you simply use the darn things they work really well. They aren't the best at any part of the shave. They aren't the smoothest, they aren't the quickest, the aren't the closest shaving, but if you use good technique and mind the angle and pressure this cheap razor gives an absolutely wonderful and predictable shave. And it does so every time, with no fuss, no worry, and no unexpected happenings. The darn things were sold for less than a dollar and will last forever if taken care of and they just plain shave very well for a throw away razor.

When something that Gillette designed to be a throw away razor will still work as good today as it did the day it was new, then I think that says something.

Sorry to blather on and on, just wanted, to share my thoughts on my new favorite hobby.

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing your observations! I was loaned a fat boy and didn't care for the head geometry or the weight. I briefly had a travel tech before it broke. I have a ball end NEW LC that I need to spend more time with. I might have purchased a thin bar handled SC NEW and Red Tip last night. 😊 I should get those next week. I guess my journey into vintages is beginning.

Thanks for sharing your observations! I was loaned a fat boy and didn't care for the head geometry or the weight. I briefly had a travel tech before it broke. I have a ball end NEW LC that I need to spend more time with. I might have purchased a thin bar handled SC NEW and Red Tip last night.  I should get those next week. I guess my journey into vintages is beginning.

You have some nice razors coming in, hope you enjoy the journey as much as I have so far!

and don't give up on any one razor too quickly, for me most of the time if it doesn't shave well it's generally because I am not using it correctly! :laugh:

You have some nice razors coming in, hope you enjoy the journey as much as I have so far!

and don't give up on any one razor too quickly, for me most of the time if it doesn't shave well it's generally because I am not using it correctly! [emoji23]
Thanks! A gentlemen in another community put them up for sale and I couldn't pass them up.

What you said there hits home. I ordered the NEW LC early in my DE journey. I used it a few times but I wasn't ready yet. I need to revisit it. I know my technique (and software!) have improved.

Brother Dionesius3, many thanks for sharing your thoughts in your outstanding report.

The only criticism I would have is that it was wordy. You could have made the same interesting observations in many fewer words.

I would be interested in what the characteristics of your whiskers are: coarse, medium, or light? That info is important when evaluating razors, and when evaluating a report on razors, but too often is not mentioned.

It also will be interesting if a year from now your views on these razors will have changed, even though you are reporting on some of the finest vintage razors out there.

Suggestion: Save your money and buy a Gillette Sheraton from the late 1930's. I have about 75 razors (blush) and for me the Sheraton gives my coarse whiskers the SMOOTHEST and MOST COMFORTABLE shave I have ever experienced. YMMV of course.

Thanks again, and best to you.

Last edited:
Thank for the great report.

I agree with you on many points. I also find the Old type to provide some of the smoothest shaves of my DE razors, followed by the New type.

I have a couple of TTO razors that for me do shave as well as my open combs, the British Aristocrat Jr. and '48 Aristocrat have a nice weight and do provide good smooth shaves for me.

The adjustable razors (Slim and Fatboy) for have not worked out so well, I have tried them at different settings, different blades etc but they cannot match the Old and New types of Gillette.

As always ymmv.

Good observations, Dion. I certainly find the Blue Tip SS to be the razor that delivers my most consistent shaves, but, as you say, the narrow blade gap takes some getting used to. Once you figure it out, you're golden...or at least I was.

And I agree about the Knack; it's a very comfy and efficient razor to use, and certainly deserves more recognition than it gets.

Last edited:
Brother Dionesius3, many thanks for sharing your thoughts in your outstanding report.

The only criticism I would have is that it was wordy. You could have made the same interesting observations in many fewer words.

I would be interested in what the characteristics of your whiskers are: coarse, medium, or light? That info is important when evaluating razors, and when evaluating a report on razors, but too often is not mentioned.

It also will be interesting if a year from now your views on these razors will have changed, even though you are reporting on some of the finest vintage razors out there.

Suggestion: Save your money and buy a Gillette Sheraton from the late 1930's. I have about 75 razors (blush) and for me the Sheraton gives my coarse whiskers the SMOOTHEST and MOST COMFORTABLE shave I have ever experienced. YMMV of course.

Thanks again, and best to you.

Lol,

i agree I got a bit too long winded on that post!

my whiskers are medium in some areas and heavy in some spots. Overall they are medium I would suppose. I have crazy growth patterns on my neck and very consistent patters on the upper face except on each side of the chin. And the under the nose area is very high thus making getting all them a challenge with clipping off a hunk of nose skin.

i had already decided to hunt down a Sheraton! Great minds think alike I suppose!

thanks,

Good observations, Dion. I certainly find the Blue Tip SS to be the razor that delivers my most consistent shaves, but, as you say, the narrow blade gap takes some getting used to. Once you figure it out, you're golden...or at least I was.

And I agree about the Knack; it's a very comfy and efficient razor to use, and certainly deserves more recognition than it gets.

well Allan,

As you know I love the Blue Tip as well. It takes a bit more attention than other TTO designs due to the narrow blade gap but is a fun and smooth razor.

And I too don't understand why more haven't discovered the Knack! But just wait till they do the prices will go crazy!

Thank you for your thoughts on the evolution of Gillette DE's. It is sometimes surprising and sometimes not how we each have different impressions of various design iterations.

For me, the Old Type is the most temperamental and requiring the most attention to technique or I will get a bad shave ever time.

The New is a vast improvement in comfort and a bit more forgiving. If all I had to shave with was a New I would be okay with that.

The Adjustable 195 TTO ('Fat Boy') is where DE technology achieved its pinnacle of comfort and smoothness. I can use it with considerably less attention to angle and pressure and yet get a clean, flawless shave each and every time.

I don't know why but I find the 195 more comfortable and forgiving than Gillette's later adjustable TTO's, including both the Slim and the Super Adjustable. Whether that has to do with actual head design or some other factor (weight, handle dimensions, etc) I don't know.

Thanks for all your input! Although my experience is relatively limited, I totally agree with you in many points. For instance, the open comb NEW is still my favorite vintage Gillette razor. And you are SO RIGHT about the KNACK! I have one from 1967 (way older than me) and it is still like new, it works perfectly with any blade, and although I am not a fan of plastic, the plastic handle doesn't bother me and I find it really cool! :001_cool:
View attachment 606495 $Razors Gillette Nack 1967 England.jpg

Ad Astra

The Instigator
While we're speaking the truth, the only other razor I consider a "cutting tool" (besides the fantastic OLDs) is the tri-slot Tech.

Im just not getting the results from adjustables. Love them for the memories, but not for a super close, rash free shave.

AA

Thanks for the replies guys,

I have gotten a #58 Gillette Rocket Set since writing this and it has become my favorite razor by a pretty good margin at this point! Not to say that I will stop using the other razors, because I will continue to swap up, but it has become the best shaving razor I own. I don't know exactly why this one works so well. It has a head design that is almost indistinguishable from the late 40's to early 50's Aristocrat razor. But it shaves much smoother and efficiently. I haven't yet measured blade gaps between the two with a feeler gauge but I suspect the Rocket has a bit wider gap. It also has a bit longer handle and weighs a bit more. But the real difference is a mystery to me because of the vast improvement the English made # 58 has over the American made Aristocrat.

I had read about this difference and thought it was simply an imagined difference, but it is not imagined at all, it is like shaving with a completely different razor! I know, it sounds crazy, and seems illogical, but there is indeed something really different about these razors.
The only downside I have for the #58 is that it does not give as much audible feedback as other razors and I do miss that a bit. But I am learning to adapt to it because of the great shaves I have been getting from the razor.

the Super Speed as made in America is to me the best of the domestic Gillette razors, but the English razors are so much better it seems like a different brand of razor. I don't know if the same holds for all the English variants but there is a decidingly strong improvement in this variant.

If you can find an English made Gillette TTO I would highly recommend one to you!

Thanks for your thoughtful reflection on vintage Gillettes. IMO the modern DE razor doesn't even come close to the vintage Gillettes. I have a collection of 15+ Gillettes and have used many of the ones you describe in you OP...and I share your ranking/opinion. When I discovered and used the Heavy Tech, I knew I hit shaving perfection.

Nice post...thanks. You should drop into the Vintage Gillette Razor Fan Club (VGRFC)...you will feel at home...

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
Very interesting read. Thanks for bumping; I must have missed this thread the first time around. I recently picked up a couple vintage Super Speeds and really enjoy using these razors. I'm not giving up my modern razors just yet. But the vintage Gillettes certainly have a charm all their own.

After one full year of DE shaving with various vintage Gillette razors as well as several other brands of vintage DE and SE razors I have some conclusions and surprise observations to share. (For what they are worth, being only the observations of a relative newbie to DE and SE shaving)

I can see why the DE and to a lessor degree the SE razor replaced the straight for everyday shaving. Now to the razors and particularly the Gillette razors and their qualities.

Using the Old Type razor for the first time I was impressed with just how mild mannered and easy it was to use. Now the razor has a narrower window of angle than latter Gillette razors. You must work a bit harder to maintain the optimal angle to keep the razor cutting the beard efficiently. But if you do your part and mind the angles, keep the pressure low, and maintain good clean technique you are rewarded with an excellent and super smooth shave.

In fact I believe the Old Type is the smoothest shaving razor Gillette ever made. There are of course variations in how the different styles of Old Type razors shave, and differences in the angle at which the different style of OT razors work. Some have a wider window and some have a narrower window.
But of those I have tried they all share the same smooth and mild manners.

Next is the NEW style razors. The NEW came later and was an improvement in razor design in a couple of ways but did not really get smoother or milder. What it did was to improve the window of angle significantly. The NEW will shave well at much different angles than the OT. What this really did was make it easier for more people to get really close and consistent shaves without having to be as precise as the OT demanded you to be.

The NEW is also a more robust and hardy design than the OT. It will endure drops, bumps, and bangs better. It also was more consistent in shave manners. So shavers could shave quicker, clean up quicker, and thus it is in many respects the high water mark for three piece razor designs.

The NEW is a joy to shave with it is somewhat more aggressive than the OT. It is still a smooth and mild razor but not as smooth as the OT. but what it lacks in smoothness it makes up for in ease of use and closeness of shave. It is the easiest of the vintage Gillette razors to get a quick BBS shave with. I find the NEW to be an almost twin to the Pre War triangle slot Tech. I can get the same quick and effortless BBS shave from these two razors. And unlike many I don't find there to be much difference between the shave quality of the Short or Long Comb versions of this razor. I find the biggest difference is between the possible handles. The Bar handle, Ball End, and other handles make a bigger difference to me than the length of the teeth on the comb.

The next vintage razor type is the TTO. Now I don't own nor have I shaved with a vintage open comb Gillette. (Not yet, but I will as soon as I find one I can afford!) but I have used every type and style of solid guard razors. And the best of these are an improvement over the three piece razor in a couple of ways.

The TTO like the NEW increased the window of angle at which the razor will cut well in most cases, the Blue Tip and some others like the Knack have the smallest window of angle and can be harder to use well than even the OT, and these razors made the process of shaving and getting good consistent results a little quicker and a little easier than the NEW for a larger number of people.

Again the increase or improvement is not necessarily in shave quality or closeness but is instead in how many people can use the razor and get consistent and acceptable results easily and cheaply.

Almost any three piece razor will beat almost any TTO in closeness and smoothness. But almost any TTO can be used and learned to be used well quicker than a three piece. I began my DE shaving with a TTO and it made the learning process easier than it would have been if I had started with a NEW or an OT. Now it wouldn't have been much harder to learn on the three piece, but I do believe there would have been a bit more blood let had I started with them. (I used too much pressure early and my technique was not great for a while, and thus the OT or NEW would likely have not produced as consistent results as the TTO did)

My first TTO was a 1959 Red Tip. I came to hate it when I got a Pre War Tech a month or so in to my DE journey, but it got me into DE shaving and helped develop my early technique. Later the Red Tip became a favorite razor and is still in my daily rotation of ten razors. I can get a quick and effortless two pass BBS shave from the Red Tip anytime. And it's a very predictable and consistent shaver. It's never been as smooth as the NEW or the OT, but it isn't a beast. It can bite if you get sloppy with your pressure or technique but is an excellent shaver if you do your part.

The next type I want to talk about is the Adjustable TTO razor. I got my first adjustable about four weeks into my DE journey. It was a 1963 SLIM and is still with me today. The adjustable was an improvement over the TTO in really only one way. It can be dialed up or down in blade gap. Which makes the razor unique.

I started using the Slim almost immediately after getting it. I found it to be the least consistent razor of all vintage Gillette razors. Getting the razor to shave well each time slows the shave down from the TTO or the three piece. The head design makes the razor a bit harder to get up close around the nose and the blade has just a bit more flex and movement than in the other types of razors.

I can see where some would enjoy the shave the Adjustable razor gives but I also know it is not my favorite. The Slim was replaced with three other adjustables and I have never found two Slim's that shave exactly alike.
Now that in an of itself makes shaving with one fun, you never know what you have got till you shave with it a few times, but all in all I don't like that the blade has a bit more flex and that the head design limits both how closely you can get around the nose and how closely you have to mind the angles to get consistent results. (In other words, I like TTO razors over adjustable razors because the heads are a bit slimmer and the blade is held more rigidly)

As with anything shaving related YMMV! And don't think I am attacking your favorite razor type, I am not. I love all these vintage razors and use every single one I have mentioned in my daily routine. But I do use and enjoy some more than others.

To me Gillette got a lot of things right in all their designs and generally made improvements with each successive generation of razors. But in that process they also lost some good points along the way and they picked up some bad habits in the process as well.

One razor that Gillette really made well and got a lot of thing right on was the Knack razor of the late 1960's. Many ignore or scoff at these lowly plastic handled razors. Some say they were cheap junk, others just don't like the looks, but what blows my mind is that if you simply use the darn things they work really well. They aren't the best at any part of the shave. They aren't the smoothest, they aren't the quickest, the aren't the closest shaving, but if you use good technique and mind the angle and pressure this cheap razor gives an absolutely wonderful and predictable shave. And it does so every time, with no fuss, no worry, and no unexpected happenings. The darn things were sold for less than a dollar and will last forever if taken care of and they just plain shave very well for a throw away razor.

When something that Gillette designed to be a throw away razor will still work as good today as it did the day it was new, then I think that says something.

Sorry to blather on and on, just wanted, to share my thoughts on my new favorite hobby.

New guy here with a couple of questions. Is the head of the slim similar to the head a super speed? Love my flair tip and wanted an adjustable, so I bought the slim in hope that it would be close enough as to cut down on the learning curve. And also which of the NEW razors do you recommend? Long comb or Short comb? Thanks

Top Bottom