What's new

Some questions on DE razors

After reading dozens of articles, and browseing these very informative forums, I've decided to get a DE razor. However before I take the plunge, I still have a few questions:

Is shaving really closer with a DE razor? I've been using the Mach3 for years and one of my main gripes (other then the price) is that it simply doesn't shave close enough. (My beard is relativily thick and coarse)

The Merkur HD seems like the razor to get, but as somone new to DE shaving I don't quite want to spend $45 Canadian (shipping excluded) on a razor I may not even like. Are there any cheaper solutions out there, that aren't crap? Perferably ones that can be found on ebay.

As a relatively neophyte, DE shaving for about 2 months allow me to assure you that I can definitely get a closer shave with an HD--also when the shadow develops later in the day its more even and cool looking. I do find that different blades makes a difference--Feathers work best for me so I would ask Letterk (John) if he has the samples and order one of those.

It takes a few weeks to get really good with the razor so instant but it gets better along the way. Compare to the M3 this is not a fool-proof. You may need to go a bit slower and need to concentrate on little pressure and good prep. Before any second or more passes, relather well. If like me, you will push too hard at first so there will be a bit of razor burn early on so have some after treatments ready. Sacrifice closeness at first for comfort and once you get the hang of it, the closeness will follow.

Also you will need to really well understand the patterns of beard grain on your face and adjust to them. Go ahead and make that plunge.

Desibabu said:
The Merkur HD seems like the razor to get, but as somone new to DE shaving I don't quite want to spend $45 Canadian (shipping excluded) on a razor I may not even like. Are there any cheaper solutions out there, that aren't crap? Perferably ones that can be found on ebay.

You can find a Gillette TECH razor on ebay, its a great 1st razor,I can recommend it without reservation this is the more common model good luck,
full

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm with Jim on this one. Get an old Gillette off ebay. They are a very cheap way to start. The 1940s Super Speed model is very very popular, and a great starter razor. It can be had for less than an HD still. The Tech that Jim suggests I can't personally vouch for, but Jim can, then go for it (lot's of other people like these too). It should be roughly dirt cheap on ebay still.

Good luck.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Look around, and you can find a Gillette Tech for five bucks. A better choice in terms of bang for the buck may be a 50's super speed, which can be had for as little as ten.

As a noob just starting out, I decided to get a Merkur HD, but these guys know their stuff, and I'd suggest going for the Superspeed off eBay if you're concerned. As to the closeness of the shave, I'm guessing it will vary from individual to individual, but the main thing that made me switch was that the regular Mach 3 and other razors couldn't even shave certain parts of my neck that the DE can due to horrible razor burn. And like others have said, your 5 o clock shadow will be more like a midnight shadow. :laugh:

I will vouch for the closer shave with a DE and I'll second the Gillette Tech as a great starter razor. I got BBS yesterday with it using several passes. I bought mine for $10 at an antique store. Best $10 I've ever spent, hands down. Bigger learning curve with a Merkur but worth the effort.

Good luck.

Hi Desibabu,

Welcome to B&B! :001_smile

I can understand your hesitancy in purchasing a Murker -- as stated by others already, there are many other avenues you can pursue before investing in such a razor. My suggestion is to try a few of the vintage DE's. I'm new to wetshaving myself -- only about 3 months now -- but I can certianly vouch for the Gillette Tech or Superspeed. The Tech was Gillette's longest running model -- and for good reason. It provides a good, close shave with very little effort. There's nothing fancy about the design of the Tech; it's a simple little 3-piece, but I really enjoy mine.

As for the Superspeeds, I know many people have raved about the 40's model as being the "creme de la creme"; however, I've got a few different models and like them both. I think the key is to get a razor you're comfortable with, and stick with it. I've had very little difficulty finding the correct angle with every DE I've tried thus far... but there has been a mild learning curve. Expect the nicks and burn at the start -- they will pave the way to a much better shave in the end.

As for eBay -- I'm not much of a fan. I purchased one (count 'em... one) of my 24 DE's off eBay and have vowed never to do so again. I'm not a fan of bidding on an item, and the shipping to Canada has always surprised me. In fact, shipping & border fees actually doubled the total expense of the razor. Now, I simply use my weekends to check out local antique markets. There are plenty of razors out there for a fraction of the cost on eBay -- plus, no shipping costs.

Just my 2 cents...

look out for a deal on a gillette adjustable. I started off with a Merkur HD. but after trying out a GA realized that the Merkur was too aggressive for me.

btw, welcome to the world of wet shaving, now watch the $$ in ur bank account disappear :biggrin1:

Ignore what I said earlier, the more I browse these forums, the more I want a Merkur. (There goes my will power) Problem is which one, the HD or Progress? Both are supposed to be novice friendly, and the price difference is negliable.

I just bought a Futur as my first DE, mainly as so many people on here recommended them. I'm only on my 3rd day with it, but I'm really liking it so far. :smile:

Currently I'm using merkur Super Platinum blades which seem ok (well i've never used any other DE razor/blade before) but I've ordered a sample pack from letterk to try some other blade types in my Futur.

I'd say go for a Merkur, in the unlikely event you don't like it I'm sure you'll have no problem selling it to someone else on here.

Desibabu said:
Is shaving really closer with a DE razor? I've been using the Mach3 for years and one of my main gripes (other then the price) is that it simply doesn't shave close enough. (My beard is relativily thick and coarse)

Shaving with DE razor can, ultimately, provide an extremely close shave...sometimes at the cost of having irritation. But when starting out, my experience was that going for the ultimate close shave right away led to razor burn and irritation.

Whatever DE you get, take it easy at first, pay close attention to technique, perfect the lather, etc. The shave won't be BBS but definitely better than with a M3. Then, Once you've mastered all of those factors, go for BBS and you'll be able to get aggressive and NOT get irritation.

I currently have a later model superspeed and a Merkur 1904. Both can get me a BBS with minimal irritation. I tried a Tech for awhile but couldn't get a good BBS while still avoiding irritation, but then I know others feel differently, thus as always YMMV.

My vote for new users has always been 40's Super Speeds and 3 piece Gillettes. They offer a low inital price and an easy learning curve. Then you can make an informed purchase shortly after you have had time to get to know what you want out of a razor. Many to be had on the forums so look there.

As someone who has a HD, Slant and a Progress I say go with the Progress. It and my Gillette Fatboy are my favorite razors and get the most use.
Here's a pic of my custom Progress.

cooncatbob said:
As someone who has a HD, Slant and a Progress I say go with the Progress. It and my Gillette Fatboy are my favorite razors and get the most use.

Progress is my go-to razor, FWIW...

Bob, nice job on the knob...do you sell those?

The first part of your question asked if you could really get a closer shave with a DE. The answer is an unqualified yes. And despite what you may be thinking, it's not at all hard to. Just remember three things: first, you have two edges to that blade so use 'em. You won't be used to doing that but force yourself. Second, don't apply pressure to put the razor against your face. Again, you're not used to that, either, but heed this advice and you'll be amazed. And finally, as you can see, these guys are more than happy to advise you so don't hesitate to readdress any questions as you go along. We all started the same place you are so the replies are credible.

To put in my two cents to the balance of your question, choosing your first razor is very subjective, and unless you get a chance to audition several of them first, it's an educated guess at best. All the recommendations are good, so just close your eyes, throw a dart and pick one. Then, jump in and have fun. As you develop your confidence, you'll want to try other razors, blades, soaps and creams, but you'll do so with a better level of knowledge behind you. Good luck, keep us informed, and welcome to wet shaving. It doesn't get any better than this!

cooncatbob said:

That is a REALLY nice handle. Much nicer than that tacky off-white plastic knob that comes standard. Where did you get that?

I am a newb to DE shaving. I could not find any place to buy a razor other than a Gentleman's Shop. Until I Froogled and came upon Knive stores selling DE razor's. I bought a Merkur ($35 Can.) at my local mall and the Gentleman's store wanted $50 for the same one. So try a place that sell's knives and see what they have. Also got a badger brush from the same knife store. As for shaving....well I was going to wait until I could secure a sample pack of creams from Scotto, but noooooooo I couldn't wait and used my crappy Barbersol and.... well I still need to get the hang of shaving with a DE. I was hoping for a smooth shave right of the bat and that was stupid of me. I have been reading so many posts on B&B that I just got carried away. My second shave was a bit better, but I am just going to take thigs slow and easy. I know that I am not leaving DE shaving. My 9 year old son has already put his name on my Merkur if I move up to a another Shaver.

I learned to use a DE with my Merkur Vision, but, one must be very careful, and very light handed, or else one can get a horrific cut.

Jeff

Top Bottom