What's new

Some questions on DE razors

TraderJoe said:
Progress is my go-to razor, FWIW...

Bob, nice job on the knob...do you sell those?

Not yet. It's not a simple swap, the plastic knob is molded onto the Merkur Knob assembly, it need to be cut off and a wooden blank epoxied onto the Merkur knob assembly. It then need to be chucked on a lathe and turned then finished. It alot of work for a 3/4 inch by 9/16 knob.
I just score a South Bend 9 inch bench lathe off E-bay (metal machine lathe) and I'm restoring it with the help of a Master Machinist I met on a tool forum.
When it's complete in a month or 2 I will be able to make all kinds of cool handles. Like super HD handle for Gillette and Merkur 3 piece razors and custom wooden handle with metal collars.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...30015004133&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT&rd=1

cooncatbob said:
Not yet. It's not a simple swap, the plastic knob is molded onto the Merkur Knob assembly, it need to be cut off and a wooden blank epoxied onto the Merkur knob assembly. It then need to be chucked on a lathe and turned then finished. It alot of work for a 3/4 inch by 9/16 knob.
I just score a South Bend 9 inch bench lathe off E-bay (metal machine lathe) and I'm restoring it with the help of a Master Machinist I met on a tool forum.
When it's complete in a month or 2 I will be able to make all kinds of cool handles. Like super HD handle for Gillette and Merkur 3 piece razors and custom wooden handle with metal collars.
http://finance.ph.groups.yahoo.com/group/SouthBendLathePix/photos/browse/3e48

Bob, I tried that link, and it said I wasn't authorized to view it.

And, my knob has fallen off during cleaning process several times, maybe I got a dud. Anyhow, that'll make it easier for you to customize it right?

Try the link now , I pasted the wrong one before.
Yes if you plastic knob has fallen off it a good thing. I cut minf off with a razor knife, not easy. In the future I'll just turn them of on the machine lathe.

Some good advice thus far. Remember that things like a Mock-3 are designed for an "average" guys face. Is your face average? Unlikely. If that is the case, then the flexibility of a DE in terms of adjustability and blade angle is likely going to give you a better shave. Even more important, of course, is the prep like keeping your beard wet, using a good cream, brush, etc.

The Progress is a decent razor. It has a few annoying attributes, but overall it is a good buy and a very good shaver. After using nothing but Merkur DE razors for my wet shaving career, I finally got a Gillette SS from a fellow forum member, so I am curious to see how it compares.

Wow, Scotto the guru has never used a Gillette DE razor!???!!?!?! I am looking forward to hearing what you think of it.

Going back to the subject in question:

Desibuba,

Well, here's my suggestion, since you seem pretty caught up in this already. Get two razors. Get a Merkur, either Progress or HD (or LHC, if you like the idea of a longer handle). Also get a classic Gillette, either Tech or 1940's Super Speed. Try both twice, then decide which you like better initially, and stick with it for a few weeks. The added investment over a just the Merkur is not much at all, and this lets you really pick which seems best to you. Ending up with two razors is not such a bad thing, since you will end up getting a lot more anyway, and after a few weeks of practice, which you prefer may change. If you ever want to get rid of one, you will be able to resell the Merkur for a small loss or the Gillette for no loss or a small profit.

Old Gillettes to consider:
This one
Or this one
Or these
Or this one
Or this one
Or this one

If you decide to bid on any of these, please let me know what your ebay id is, so I can avoid bidding against you (I am kind of considering on or two of those). Might be a good idea to post it here, so other might not bid up against you either.

I'm sure you will be happy with whatever you end up with.

Shane

Thanks for all your helpful suggestions. I wasn't able to find a local retailer that carries the Merkur HD, but I was able to find the Merkur classic at Momentum. (Found it on the Shopping links thread) What's the difference between the two razors, because visually they look indentical.

Desibabu said:
Thanks for all your helpful suggestions. I wasn't able to find a local retailer that carries the Merkur HD, but I was able to find the Merkur classic at Momentum. (Found it on the Shopping links thread) What's the difference between the two razors, because visually they look indentical.

the HD is thicker and somehwat heavier.

Great advice here!

As you are now a full-fledged B&B'er, you are now obligated to purchase all possible models of razors, try them, post reviews, and then shift your acquisition disorder focus to brushes or creams.:redface:

Sorry, but them are the rules.:wink:

Top Bottom