What's new

Some questions about Razorock V3 Hawk Family

Dear gents in this forum,
I owned Razorock v2 Hawk, ATT SE1/SE2 before.
All of them were sold.
My current SE razor is ATT aluminum SE1 with SS Kronos handle.
Although ATT aluminum SE1 never lets me dowwn,
I tend to pursue another SE razor with higher efficency.
ATT SE1 is too hefty for my hand and was not very maneuverable.
SE2 is a beast and is too hard for me to shave with.
When using Razorock v2 hawk,
I felt it has a strange angle and I cannot cut whiskers on some areas in my neck.
(In fact, I have similar problems when using SE1 but RR v2 hawk is more significant.)
My questions:
Is v3-standard is merely an SS version of v2?
How do you compare v3-oc with ATT SE2?
I am now wondering only OC could improve efficiency.

Your forthcoming inputs are highly appreciated.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I have the V3-OC and V3-A. Prefer the V3-OC. More efficient and effective while still being smooth.

Of the razors I own, the two AC bladed razors that I rank above the V3-OC are the Colonial General V2 and the Blackland Razors Vector.

YMMV

I have the V3-OC and V3-A. Prefer the V3-OC. More efficient and effective while still being smooth.

Of the razors I own, the two AC bladed razors that I rank above the V3-OC are the Colonial General V2 and the Blackland Razors Vector.

YMMV

Hi @never-stop-learning,
Thank you.
Have you ever used RR V2 Hawk?
Is V3-A almost the same as V2?
V2 can hardly be a good shaver for me.
It is so sad that V3-OC cannot come with a super knurl handle which I like better.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
I have the V3SB and V3OC. The SB is quite mild and has a bit of a narrow sweet spot. With a guarded blade I actually found it too mild to shave. With a Kai Captain Titan Mild Pink or Feather Pro it gives lovely shaves.

The V3OC is a bit more aggressive than the V3SB but not as aggressive as the ATT SE1. I also found the SE2 a bit much, so my SE1 and SE2 have been "re-homed."

With a guarded blade the OC will shave but I found the guarded Kai blades to be rather rough. With a Kai Pink it also gives a lovely shave, although remember it is designed as a milder razor even though it's an OC.

These are the only AC-format SE razors I own now. It's not a format that particularly engages me for some reason. I tend to get more comfortable shaves from Gem-ish razors (PAA Starling V2OC, Blackland Sabre, ATT G1 w/mods) and from slants (but not regular DE).

They are, like a number of RazoRock's offerings, pretty good value for the money.

O.H.

The V3OC is a bit more aggressive than the V3SB but not as aggressive as the ATT SE1. I also found the SE2 a bit much, so my SE1 and SE2 have been "re-homed."

O.H.

Hi, @Old Hippie, I cannot appreciate your inputs enough.
I always regard V3-OC to be more efficient than ATT SE1 (OC vs. SB).
I want to step a bit up in efficiency from ATT SE1.
SE2 is too hard for me.
Any opinions are highly appreciated and welcome.

Do you guys that own this razor find it would be very easy to edge a beard? I’m debating if this would be as good as say, a Blackland Vector perhaps for this ?

I still have a V2 Hawk and have owned and sold the V3 SB and OC. I don't have any problems using the V2 on any part of my face or neck, but I don't find it to be sufficiently efficient. The V3 OC was good but I found that the Classic Shaving Enoch was at least as efficient and more comfortable for me. I haven't used any version of the ATT, so I can't comment on how any of the Hawk versions or the Enoch compare to the ATT razors.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Any suggestions on which handle provides the best balance? I'm considering the halo or halo 2 piece.

I've tried three RazoRock handles on my Hawks:

HD -- looks like the handle on a Merkur 34/37, but it's solid stainless.
UFO -- may be a copy of someone else's UFO handle.
Bulldog -- a heavily knurled handle.

I found the HD to be short enough that the razor felt head-heavy. The Bulldog was very grippy, and longer than the HD, but it makes the razor feel handle-heavy. The UFO is perfect for my taste.

I'm thinking of grabbing a couple more UFO handles from RR. It also works well on the German 37 and many other razors.

I also have a RR Radio Knob handle, on my Wunderbar. I find that handle to be a perfect match to that razor.

For all it's short, the HD with a thread adaptor is perfect on my lather catchers (Star & Gem Jr. Bar).

O.H.

I find the ATT SE1 aluminium to be very efficient, but if I want to increase its efficiency/aggression just a bit then I use a Feather Super Pro blade rather than, for example, a Schick Proline. To me, the Super Pro definitely adds a bit of bite.
I can't compare the Hawk V2 wth the V3, since I don't own the former. The V3 is a good razor, with a fantastic finish for the price, but for me it's not quite up there with the Colonial General or Blackland Vector. Of the 50+ DE, injector, Gem, and AC razors I must have tried these two are clearly the best. I can get a DFS/BBS with most safety razors, but not with the ease, consistency and comfort of the General and Vector.

I still have a V2 Hawk and have owned and sold the V3 SB and OC. I don't have any problems using the V2 on any part of my face or neck, but I don't find it to be sufficiently efficient. The V3 OC was good but I found that the Classic Shaving Enoch was at least as efficient and more comfortable for me. I haven't used any version of the ATT, so I can't comment on how any of the Hawk versions or the Enoch compare to the ATT razors.

Like to ask.what is the most efficient shave angle for the V2 hawk. Like the OP, i also have issues on the neck with hair left behind which is not the case with my ATT SE1 which is supremely efficient. I've seen many posts praising the efficiency of the hawk v2 but has always been satisfactory or less for me with the schick proline or kai pink blades.

Like to ask.what is the most efficient shave angle for the V2 hawk. Like the OP, i also have issues on the neck with hair left behind which is not the case with my ATT SE1 which is supremely efficient. I've seen many posts praising the efficiency of the hawk v2 but has always been satisfactory or less for me with the schick proline or kai pink blades.
I'm the wrong one to ask about shaving angles. The few times I've tried to pay attention to the angle, I have cut myself. I always find that there is a "comfortable" angle for each razor that I can find by touch without giving it any thought.

Top Bottom