What's new

Some Pointers for those with very sensitive skin...from someone who has tried way too many.

I have very sensitive skin. For me to get a good shaving result, I have to shave with the right products and the right prep, the right razor to not get a raw feeling face after cutting down my coarse and thick beard/stubble. Over the last 5-10 years, I have tried what feels like every product on the market. Both in terms of pre-shaves and aftershaves and there are a few products that I have come across that I think are head-and-shoulders above the rest.

Preshaves (General Comments)

I have tried dozens of products in this category. Creams, balms, oils etc. Dozens of brands. The ones I have found to work the best did a few things for me...protected the face from the shave, left my face clean and non-oily/greasy after the shave. Did not give me pimples or ingrowns and left the face smooth. I have not found one category better than another, only products that are better than other products across the different types of preshaves.

Pre-Shave Oils

In the preshave oil category, here are the two products that I have found to work beautifully:

- Crux Pre-Shave Oil
- Sweyn Forkbeard English Shave Oil

Both can be bought on Etsy and are fairly expensive, but they smell great, use fantastic and expensive ingredients and are the two oild that have never given me long-term skin problems like pimples or ingrowns.

Honorable mention:

- Hawaiian Shaving Company Pre-Shave Oil

Al isn't currently making his preshave because he is trying new bottle options (his old bottle had a habit of leaking in transit), but the oils themselves are excellent. Maybe one step below the two I mentioned above, but not by much.

Pre-Shave Creams

In the preshave creams category, there is only one product that I have tried that has blown me away:

- Grooming Department Pre-Shave

The scents are good and the performance even better. I would not say these are better than the two oils I use, but they are equally good. Only downside is that Mo doesn't always have them in stock...otherwise, this might be the best value since one tub lasts forever. I have heard great things about Dragonsbeard and Chatillon Lux, but never been able to score any yet. Once I do, I will report here.

Aftershaves

In this category, I used to think I could only use balms, but as always, I found out that some products in each category are excellent and roughly equivalent in their effect, so not all balms are better than all splashes.

Aftershave Balms

I have tried so many products in this category from cheap grocery store brands like Nivea to Zirh, Baxter, Billy Jealousy etc, but here are my favorites:

- Eufros Balms
- Geo F Trumper Skinfood

Every time I use these two products, I get a great post-shave feel and both go on easy, light and leave no film/residue or feeling of greasiness. Both are about the same price, which is to say fairly expensive, but one doesn't need to use much, so it sort of remains reasonable.

Aftershave Splashes

I used to think I could never use splashes, but when I started trying them, I found several that I think work great, but one is head and shoulders above the rest:

- Australian Private Reserve

There is no other splash that I have used that is THIS nourishing and gentle to the face. yes, you still get a sting, but the post-shave using these is like no other.

Honorable Mention:

- Antiga Barbearia do Bairro
- Ariana & Evans
- Floris

All of these are really good. A&E is probably the best of the three followed by ABdB and then Floris, but all of them feel nourishing and not too astringent. And none give me a red face or irritation. But really...I don't think any of them come even close to what Dan at APR has created.

Hopefully, this is helpful to some of you. If you have tried these products and have found better options for yourself, please comment.

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
I have very sensitive skin. For me to get a good shaving result, I have to shave with the right products and the right prep, the right razor to not get a raw feeling face after cutting down my coarse and thick beard/stubble. Over the last 5-10 years, I have tried what feels like every product on the market. Both in terms of pre-shaves and aftershaves and there are a few products that I have come across that I think are head-and-shoulders above the rest.

Preshaves (General Comments)

I have tried dozens of products in this category. Creams, balms, oils etc. Dozens of brands. The ones I have found to work the best did a few things for me...protected the face from the shave, left my face clean and non-oily/greasy after the shave. Did not give me pimples or ingrowns and left the face smooth. I have not found one category better than another, only products that are better than other products across the different types of preshaves.

Pre-Shave Oils

In the preshave oil category, here are the two products that I have found to work beautifully:

- Crux Pre-Shave Oil
- Sweyn Forkbeard English Shave Oil

Both can be bought on Etsy and are fairly expensive, but they smell great, use fantastic and expensive ingredients and are the two oild that have never given me long-term skin problems like pimples or ingrowns.

Honorable mention:

- Hawaiian Shaving Company Pre-Shave Oil

Al isn't currently making his preshave because he is trying new bottle options (his old bottle had a habit of leaking in transit), but the oils themselves are excellent. Maybe one step below the two I mentioned above, but not by much.

Pre-Shave Creams

In the preshave creams category, there is only one product that I have tried that has blown me away:

- Grooming Department Pre-Shave

The scents are good and the performance even better. I would not say these are better than the two oils I use, but they are equally good. Only downside is that Mo doesn't always have them in stock...otherwise, this might be the best value since one tub lasts forever. I have heard great things about Dragonsbeard and Chatillon Lux, but never been able to score any yet. Once I do, I will report here.

Aftershaves

In this category, I used to think I could only use balms, but as always, I found out that some products in each category are excellent and roughly equivalent in their effect, so not all balms are better than all splashes.

Aftershave Balms

I have tried so many products in this category from cheap grocery store brands like Nivea to Zirh, Baxter, Billy Jealousy etc, but here are my favorites:

- Eufros Balms
- Geo F Trumper Skinfood

Every time I use these two products, I get a great post-shave feel and both go on easy, light and leave no film/residue or feeling of greasiness. Both are about the same price, which is to say fairly expensive, but one doesn't need to use much, so it sort of remains reasonable.

Aftershave Splashes

I used to think I could never use splashes, but when I started trying them, I found several that I think work great, but one is head and shoulders above the rest:

- Australian Private Reserve

There is no other splash that I have used that is THIS nourishing and gentle to the face. yes, you still get a sting, but the post-shave using these is like no other.

Honorable Mention:

- Antiga Barbearia do Bairro
- Ariana & Evans
- Floris

All of these are really good. A&E is probably the best of the three followed by ABdB and then Floris, but all of them feel nourishing and not too astringent. And none give me a red face or irritation. But really...I don't think any of them come even close to what Dan at APR has created.

Hopefully, this is helpful to some of you. If you have tried these products and have found better options for yourself, please comment.
Wow what a great posting!

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Top Bottom