What's new

Some of the Nicest Grain from the "Tree"

Hey Steve...

following your lead...I turned out a few mixed wood handles....looked good for a while...then they moved..I hope you can see this OK...cocobolo and local maple...I used a regular wood glue...any ideas ? thanks. Dave

Attachments

• IMG_3696.JPG
    IMG_3696.JPG
    543.6 KB · Views: 12
Hey Steve...

following your lead...I turned out a few mixed wood handles....looked good for a while...then they moved..I hope you can see this OK...cocobolo and local maple...I used a regular wood glue...any ideas ? thanks. Dave

Sand the edge and make it a design element! Or if the knot isn't permanently glued in turn it down a little further. Just my two cents.

Hey Steve...

Wow. Just wow.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Graydog

Biblical Innards
Hey Steve...

Good morning Dave,
When you started turning was the wood all glued up ? I always make up the blank and let the glue set overnight . And the next day I will cut it up and sometimes glue it up again. This one looks like a real mess.
20190222_104602.jpg

Hi Steve,

It was glued up, and actually turned well and looked good....but not for long. It "moved"...and formed a big
ridge... I'm glad you sent this photo...I think I am trying to be too precise..small pieces, not enough glue..going
from glue up right onto the lathe.
When I broke it apart to get the knot out, I saw little air gaps....I think maybe the cocobolo not a good choice for this
kind of thing..

Many thanks for the reply...I will keep trying.

Your stuff looks really good Steve....thanks for posting the photos. I enjoy them.

Dave

Top Bottom