What's new

Some observations about my new aluminum Henson mild razor.

This is a great razor and the mildest thing I have ever shaved with. I had hoped it would be the magic razor that would leave me with the wish to never shave with anything else, but not quite so far. I am going to hang on to the Gillette Techs and the EJ DE 89. Maybe my feelings will change since I am only 3 shaves in with the Henson aluminum mild, but they haven’t yet. Don’t get me wrong. This razor is awesome, and I have never shaved with anything quite like it. If you’re wondering whether or not you should give it a try, I think you should. The company allows you to return it within 100 days, according to their website. I thought it might be too light for me, being my first aluminum razor, but it feels great. I don’t even have a problem with the handle being too slippery, like my EJ DE 89. I will be trying it with various blades, and will let you guys how I feel about the razor in a week or a month.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
I think what you need is a Henson Medium razor, in your color choice. I think the mild version was intended for people with super sensitive skin, and very light stubble, like daily shavers. And the more milder the razor is, the sharper the blade you need. So you've be looking at Feather or Kai blades in that Henson mild. I have the Henson AL13 Medium in Steel Blue, using a Wizamet Super Iridium blade, it was a smooth and efficient shave for me, going up against 2-day stubble

I think what you need is a Henson Medium razor, in your color choice. I think the mild version was intended for people with super sensitive skin, and very light stubble, like daily shavers. And the more milder the razor is, the sharper the blade you need. So you've be looking at Feather or Kai blades in that Henson mild. I have the Henson AL13 Medium in Steel Blue, using a Wizamet Super Iridium blade, it was a smooth and efficient shave for me, going up against 2-day stubble
i asked the question of the wet shaving forums a lot of people seem to think theres not much in it between the mild and medium, never used a mild myself though but i found that interesting

There is a difference in blade gap between the + and the ++ (.68 and .85) and many razors with those blade gaps give quite a bit of blade feel and some feel very harsh. The way the Henson is constructed it takes every advantage of the blade edge, blade gap, and blade exposure, combined with the bend, to give a superior shave, even in the +. It is hard for some people to adjust to a Henson if they've been using traditional designs, but those coming from multiblade disposable or cartridge razors it is a snap.

I’ve only used the Mild and would like to try the Medium, but I really do like my AL13. I did put the head on a SS handle and I like the feel of a little more heft. From what I hear you can get to the same end result with both the Mild and the Medium but maybe with one more pass needed with the Mild.

My opinion is that with a few more shaves under your belt you’ll find that it gets better and better for you.

Reactions: Kix
Another option might be The Winning Razor (TWR) from Wet Shaving Club. It's stainless steel (not aluminum), has a head geometry similar to the Henson, and a bit less expensive.

Another option might be The Winning Razor (TWR) from Wet Shaving Club. It's stainless steel (not aluminum), has a head geometry similar to the Henson, and a bit less expensive.

And has a discount code for the fourth. As soon as I’m caffeinated, I might be able to remember it. I do know it brings the price down to $44+tax/shipping

If I hadn’t just bought a Yates, I’d be all over the Winning.

Found it. Enter Merica20 for the discount on either the Winning razor or (obviously) the ‘Merica razor.

CFA9E17C-280E-43AF-A644-1F6ECA23F8A2.png

And has a discount code for the fourth. As soon as I’m caffeinated, I might be able to remember it. I do know it brings the price down to $44+tax/shipping

If I hadn’t just bought a Yates, I’d be all over the Winning.
I found the coupon by googling Winning Razor + coupon. I'm telling my wife you're responsible for me buying a new razor. Thanks, I think. :)

Yates makes the Winning razor and the 'Merica for Wet Shaving Club. A fine artisan. I bet the YPM razor is great!

I considered both the Winning and the ’Merica, but I figured that if Yates made those for someone else AND made their own products, surely the design they kept for themselves would be noticeably better, right? No idea how they compare, I just know I’m really enjoying my Yates 921-H and can’t wait to get a matching brass handle.

I considered both the Winning and the ’Merica, but I figured that if Yates made those for someone else AND made their own products, surely the design they kept for themselves would be noticeably better, right? No idea how they compare, I just know I’m really enjoying my Yates 921-H and can’t wait to get a matching brass handle.
About twice a year the discussions about Yates get to me and I go to the website, look around and see that they still don't have what I want, close the tab and proceed with my day. Who am I kidding, I spend the next month checking daily and looking at my CC balance to make sure it's ready! Eventually the swelling subsides. 😧

Um, yeah, I could just email them and get on a waiting list to get exactly what I want I guess. But then I would have to actually spend money instead of make excuses! 😩

About twice a year the discussions about Yates get to me and I go to the website, look around and see that they still don't have what I want, close the tab and proceed with my day. Who am I kidding, I spend the next month checking daily and looking at my CC balance to make sure it's ready! Eventually the swelling subsides. 😧

Um, yeah, I could just email them and get on a waiting list to get exactly what I want I guess. But then I would have to actually spend money instead of make excuses! 😩

I bought a bronze Timeless with both baseplates because I couldn’t get past how nice looking they were. My Yates shaves me better and looks like a well machined tool while doing so.
The Timeless may get relegated to shaves while I’m home, but I’m definitely going to be using the Yates at work (most of the week).

Top Bottom