What's new

Some nice new replates!

Recently sent out two razors to be replace by Chris at razorplate.com (not the other replating Chris). When he started he got his marks for his quality a decade ago so sharing my recent experienice.

His initial photos, a Fatboy where the seller sold it and seemed to fail at using a buffing wheel (in the 50s Gillettes chrome quality dropped a bit so anytime I see smooth silo doors on a cleaned up Fatboy on eBay I feel bad for the soon to be buyer) and a British New RFB that seemed well loved.

0A42E383-1669-488C-A97E-0465A31A9979.jpeg
36A07308-942D-43D1-A40E-4C18A7C8CA96.jpeg

after receiving them back. I took pictures of the replate next to my “good” condition Fatboys. The textures and knurling detail look spot on regarding the plating. The silo doors look like a mirror.
A21E759E-0714-45D4-A4E6-8F8282CE3978.png
60BF11B2-E10B-46C2-AF84-3DF9711C6A4A.png
DEC2E472-0094-4D1E-B994-CC54A7A2E54B.png
9198D6C4-AEB8-4E03-9E03-7B6E4B26C55F.jpeg
C9485CCE-1A64-4438-A56A-0988165A9800.jpeg

I Got three fatboys i want to tune up and replate should I send them to razor plate or back roads gold
If you’re doing three I’d be concerned about coming across as trying to “flip” the razors. Not sure how they feel about their services being used for that. There is a seller that regularly sells backroads gold razors on eBay so he may not have too many concerns. Razorplate has a wait list and limits you to two at a time.

Both have been around for a while. Backroads seems to do it full time and shows his extensive setup on YouTube. He shows a plate over old plating process which isn’t necessarily bad and he seems skilled (and definitely has a lot of experience) at what he does. Haven‘t tried his services though.

Razorplate advertises complete removal of old plating. Both seem to do well even competing with each other. It is the finer details that make or break a replate that come with experience that both seem to have mastered.

I occasionally see some used replates sold that show transparency with plating issues. Remember a lot of other replaters existed (and still do) in the past so some of their old products may have issues. I have a Fatboy that was my daily for years where a now defunct replater did it and while the quality wasn’t the issue the significantly thicker plating he advertised doing caused some clearance issues that eventually lead to it chipping in a spot. I have other products from him (non adjustables) that are absolutely fine. We even have some individuals here that do it to their own personal razors but don’t advertise it.

Last edited:

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I’ve had several razors replayed by each of the Chris’s. They both do a fine job. I think Back Roads may have a bit more modern of an operation with the ordering process and the status lists on the website. Razorplate does everything via email. At least that’s what it was back when I had mine done. But the quality of the work is great with both of them.

Reactions: Kix
Top Bottom