What's new

Some new handles

One idea I had was to try to get a “Sunburst” finish. These 2 maple handles were just a quick test to see how it would work out. I turned them then applied a thin polyurethane finish. After the finish was fully dried, I used a head gun to intentionally burn the wood. Then i shot it with another thick coat of polyurethane. The one handle got a little too burned on the edges, but it was a good learning experience and an attempt to try something new and outta the box.

proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

The next 2 handles are Walnut and a more traditional design. One is a chubby, stout handle and the other is taller and thinner.

proxy.php
proxy.php

proxy.php
proxy.php

I personally think the one with the darker edges looks better. I really like the contrast in it. But they all look great.

Very nice, I have used friction to char some of the things I've turned. I think it's easier to get a small area to char using friction and extend it as far as you want. I've also charged some knife handles with a torch it can be a pretty focused heat and works well. If you want to see any pictures I'd be glad to share them.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
They all look pretty good. First two might be a little dark, but there is nothing wrong with that. Good work.

Top Bottom