full

"Yep, I cut my own "The Slant" hair - Real men don't use no stinkin' mirrors"

and the slightly more philosophical

"What back hair style do women like best: - with or against - the grain"

Another Over the Edge Idea -

full

I offer up - The DIY Waterless & Cordless Hot Lather Bowl [or W&C for short]

(aka - That's !@#$%&* hot!)

This is a small yet significant revision of the DIY Dog-Water-Dish Hot Lather Bowl [or DWD for short] pictured here.

full

The reasons the W&C might be preferred over the DWD are as follows:

- your wash basin remains free and empty at all times so you can use tap water to rinse clean your razor

- the lather will remain cozy warm for longer than using hot water from the tap (ie over 15 minutes)

- no drilling a hole in the metal bowl, in a tricky spot, with a pointy sharp drill bit

- no water is used to hold the heat so it is released more slowly

- no electric cords like those "too cordy" coffee mug warmers

full

- no dangerous candle flames like those "too flamey" fondue sets

full

- no geeky overtones like those "too usb" warmers

full

The down side:

- where as the DWD cost $1.00 at a $tore and even more elsewhere the W&C costs a minimum of $1.10 because your adding corn.

- the W&C is not meant to be used by children as it can be !@#$%&* hot!

- you may have to add more water than usual to maintain your prefered lather style as the extra heat will increase the drying of the lather

- it's not quick and easy like simply shaving with a ceramic bowl warmed with tap water

full

Required:
1x small stainless steel pet bowl (complete with rubber rim gasket)

Look in your kitchen for the following:
1x microwave proof measuring cup (1 cup capacity)
1 cup of popping corn [yes it's REUSEABLE]

TIP: You can use RICE too but corn will retain about 25% more heat

1x plastic lid from a large (975 gram / 2 lb) can of ground coffee or the equivalent (157 mm / 6.25 inch diameter)

a cutting tool for soft plastic
a microwave oven

Construction:
a) With your cutting tool of choice - cut the edge off the coffee lid such that it ends up being just a little (1-2mm) smaller than the base of the dog dish
(If you need help with this step ask the straight razor guys or those members shaving with big knives.)

b) slip the plastic, circular disk made from the coffee can lid, under the rubber rim gasket thereby enclosing the "space" under the dog dish
(it's much like replacing a bicycle inner tube and you only need to do it once so don't give up)

Your done the makin' it part.

Use:
a) Place 1 cup of your favourite popping corn into the 1 cup microwave safe measuring cup

b) Microwave on high for about 60* seconds

* Note: if you hear a kernel pop remove the corn immediately and note the cooking time when the pop occurred.
In the future heating time should be 10 seconds less than the time it took the first kernel to pop.

c) Being careful not to burn yourself (the corn is now about 190 degerees F) pour the hot kernels into the space under the dog dish.

full

d) Tuck in the plastic bottom evenly all round so the corn will not escape

You will notice that the metal sides of the dish are getting !@#$%&* hot!

Tip: Hold the dish by the rubber gasket on the bottom of the dish.

e) Prepare your shaving lather as you would normally

* add extra water as required to counteract the evaporation due to the extra heat

Tip: If you feel during the shaving process the bowl has cooled more than you would like - gently swirl the bowl (like you might a snifter of brandy) to reposition the corn

You will notice that the metal sides of the dish are getting !@#$%&* hot!

Variations:

1) LAZY:
No dog dish needed.
Add corn to a Microwave Safe ZIPLOCK Brand Bag (that is either a ZIPLOCK STORAGE or a ZIPLOCK FREEZER type bag) place this in a larger bowl or basket and finally sit your shave mug on top of this ZIPLOCK corn bag, like it was a shave mug butt warmer

2) HANDY DANDY:
Some talent but no dog dish required.
Sew 2 cotton face cloths together, add some corn and make a cloth "pillow of hot corn" shave mug butt warmer

3) MINIMALIST:
No dog dish needed.
If you don't have or don't wish to use a dog dish (however shiny and bright) you can add corn to a cotton tube sock (the colour is up to you), knot the end of the sock and wrap it around your shaving mug, cup or bowl as you would wrap your neck with a wool scarf in the winter.
(In fact this is nice around - your - neck in the winter.)

* use a clean sock of 100% cotton only - synthetic fibers (nylon pantyhose for example) will melt at high temperatures and so taint the corn, making it harder to chew and less desirable when consumed later while watching videos or tv

4) ELITIST:
Substitute for No-Name corn, Basmati rice or Orville Redenbacher's Special Private Blend Genetically Modified Poppin' Corn

5) OBSESSIVE TWEAKERS:
a) Add/adjust salt and butter to taste
b) Try other heat storage materials: mashed potatoes, chocolate or free range coffee beans etc

RE: SAFETY
a) Don't leave the room while using the microwave to heat the corn.

b) Someone will point out that using popping corn is perhaps dangerous in "heat pack" type applications.
My view is the hot unpopped kernels are more dangerous than the popped ones.

Skin doesn't burn as quickly with dry heat.
Skin can burn in seconds when liquids are at 125 degrees.
McDonald's coffee was 140 degrees when that customer was burned. They now keep their coffee around 120 degrees.
The recommended temperature for a home hot water heater is 110 to 120 degrees.

Use your common sense -
(or that of a friend, pet or other family member you should be able to trust).

Q: WHAT ABOUT "GEL" PACKS?
A: Don't know.

ADDENDUM:
If my doctor calls while I'm "away" -
Tell him I need my medication adjusted.
Off for my nap now.

Last edited by a moderator:
The popcorn I have is white and much bigger.

Will that work? :confused:

A very witty and creative post. I enjoyed it!

The down side:

- where as the DWD cost $1.00 at a $tore and even more elsewhere the W&C costs a minimum of $1.10 because your adding corn.
Costs more than that since we haven't had a coffee can in the house in many years.

1) LAZY:
No dog dish needed.
Add corn to a Microwave Safe ZIPLOCK Brand Bag (that is either a ZIPLOCK STORAGE or a ZIPLOCK FREEZER type bag) place this in a larger bowl or basket and finally sit your shave mug on top of this ZIPLOCK corn bag, like it was a shave mug butt warmer
Tried this with both corn and rice. Didn't work too well. Also tried homemade cloth beanbag thingies filled with rice. Didn't work too well.

The recommended temperature for a home hot water heater is 110 to 120 degrees.
I keep mine set at 180 degrees — my wife fills a two-person whirlpool tub almost every day and that sucker takes a lot of hot water.

Q: WHAT ABOUT "GEL" PACKS?
A: Don't know.
Tried these. Didn't work too well and the mug/bowl kept falling off. Tried putting the gel pack in a bowl and the mug/cup still kept falling off. Tried putting a lid on the bowl and while the mug/cup didn't fall off not much heat reached it.

I've also tried antique scuttles and five Mosslike scuttles made for me by a college art major. Didn't work too well.

The only thing I've found that really works are the "too cordy" mug warmers. They get too hot if not cycled on and off manually.

Overall I don't think hot/warm lather is worth the fuss and bother.

Richard

I agree - the key is to keep it a pleasure - very easy to forget that and turn it into a trial - perfectionism is a trap.
Thanks for sharing your experience.

Frickin' hilarious. And as a bonus, it stands a passable chance of actually working!:lol:

Now, who's going to do the primer on making and keeping ice cold lather? The new goal: Lather so cold ice crystals are just about to form. Have to add alcohol, salt water, or glycol to the mix so you can get the temp below freezing, but still stay liquid.

Mmm, icy lather...:idea:

Now, who's going to do the primer on making and keeping ice cold lather? The new goal: Lather so cold ice crystals are just about to form. Have to add alcohol, salt water, or glycol to the mix so you can get the temp below freezing, but still stay liquid.
Mmm, icy lather...:idea:
I'm workin' on it.

Hey wake up it's time to shave and git goin'

full

Last edited by a moderator:
The only thing I've found that really works are the "too cordy" mug warmers. They get too hot if not cycled on and off manually.

Overall I don't think hot/warm lather is worth the fuss and bother.

Richard

Great advice on cycling the mug warmer on and off manually. Otherwise it gets too hot. I managed to ruin a brush this way.

Top Bottom