What's new

Some help with the Rockwell 6s and irritation please?

It could be so many things. I would go in this order to solve the problem. (The 6S is definitely not the problem)

1. Try Different blades
2. Use the 5 plate
3. Change to a steeper angle. (Ride the bar instead of the cap)
4. Make sure your lather is good, if it is, try a different soap
5. Shave in the shower. The hot steam and hotter water was my game changing moment where I never had to worry about irritation ever again.

I use an Astra green and a #3 plate and get a really good shave. Maybe just relax and focus on the shave and not so much on the end result, that will take care of it's self with time and practice. Experimenting with the different plates and Blades is fine if your confident in your lather and technique but go easy and give your face a break. Also, a good aftershave balm will go a long way in soothing your skin. Best of luck.

Hi guys, this is my first post so go easy on me! I would like to ask your advice - I am about 9 months into my wet shaving journey and have already spent an embarassing amount on gear! I am however having trouble balancing the closeness of my shave with a tendency towards irritation. I was lucky enough to be given a Rockwell 6s for Christmas, I use synthetic and badger brushes and soaps by Stirling, Tabac, TOBS and Proraso. I think my lathering technique is pretty good and I use, Feather, Nacet and Silver Blue blades. I shave every day which is probably part of the problem! I ususally shave after I have showered.

My issue is that to get the 'finish' I want in 3 passes, the #4 plate gets me there most efficiently but I also get irritation, like an aftershave has me hoppin around the room level of irritation and skin reddens noticably! I am using very little pressure but I do have to go against the grain to feel happy with the closeness of the shave. The milder plates require more strokes/passes to bring the stubble down but I do get a little less irritation, though still more than I would like. I can be ok but not delighted with the results from the #3 plate but the #2 plate takes 4 or 5 passes to get as close as i'm happy with. My stubble isnt that thick, should I be able to get closer in fewer passes on the milder plates if I focus on angle more or should I stick to the #4 and continue to work on my technique? Should I not chase such a close shave? I really don't like any 'rough' stubble left, though I never quite manage a full bbs. Major trouble spots include the neck just above and to either side of the adams apple, the corners of the mouth and the dip between bottom lip and chin.

Being something of a gear head I've been inevitably contemplating a different razor (the Karve in particular is singing to me!) but my gut says it's me not the Rockwell and so I want to persisit. I am open to any suggestions of things to try.

Thanks in advance,
Tom

What helped me:

Cheeks: 3 passes R4
The rest: 1st pass R4
The rest: 2-3rd pass R2

Hi guys, this is my first post so go easy on me! I would like to ask your advice - I am about 9 months into my wet shaving journey and have already spent an embarassing amount on gear! I am however having trouble balancing the closeness of my shave with a tendency towards irritation. I was lucky enough to be given a Rockwell 6s for Christmas, I use synthetic and badger brushes and soaps by Stirling, Tabac, TOBS and Proraso. I think my lathering technique is pretty good and I use, Feather, Nacet and Silver Blue blades. I shave every day which is probably part of the problem! I ususally shave after I have showered.

My issue is that to get the 'finish' I want in 3 passes, the #4 plate gets me there most efficiently but I also get irritation, like an aftershave has me hoppin around the room level of irritation and skin reddens noticably! I am using very little pressure but I do have to go against the grain to feel happy with the closeness of the shave. The milder plates require more strokes/passes to bring the stubble down but I do get a little less irritation, though still more than I would like. I can be ok but not delighted with the results from the #3 plate but the #2 plate takes 4 or 5 passes to get as close as i'm happy with. My stubble isnt that thick, should I be able to get closer in fewer passes on the milder plates if I focus on angle more or should I stick to the #4 and continue to work on my technique? Should I not chase such a close shave? I really don't like any 'rough' stubble left, though I never quite manage a full bbs. Major trouble spots include the neck just above and to either side of the adams apple, the corners of the mouth and the dip between bottom lip and chin.

Being something of a gear head I've been inevitably contemplating a different razor (the Karve in particular is singing to me!) but my gut says it's me not the Rockwell and so I want to persisit. I am open to any suggestions of things to try.

Thanks in advance,
Tom

Hi Tom, has the situation improved? And if so, can you assess, what did the trick?

Chris

Have you considered removing a pass? There's no rule that a shave must consist of three passes. Maybe just do a WTG and an ATG pass. I found when I eliminated my XTG pass with some of my razors, I was still able to get a great BBS. Best of all, I was able to do so with little to no irritation.

I’m the same. I’ve tried most of the blades out there and Derbys are really good regardless of price. And Extras and Premiums are dirt cheap.

Same with Dorco Primes. If they weren’t under $7/100 I would never have bothered buying them to try. Who knew that the cheapest blades I have ever bought would become one of my favorites?
Dorco Prime is a very good blade. Yes it doesn't work for everyone, but it works well for me. It's sharp, smooth and give me 6 good shaves. Pretty reasonably priced.

Sent from my CPH1969 using Tapatalk

Lefonque

Even more clueless than you
Dorco Prime is a very good blade. Yes it doesn't work for everyone, but it works well for me. It's sharp, smooth and give me 6 good shaves. Pretty reasonably priced.

Sent from my CPH1969 using Tapatalk
It is all about what work for you. The rest is just garnish.

Hey guys,

Nice to see some renewed interest in the thread. Thanks for all your helpful comments and suggestions. I’m still experimenting but now having very good results with the R4 plate and a Voskhod blade for daily shaving. My beard hair is coarse, but my skin is a little sensitive. I find if I’m very gentle (ZERO pressure has been the best teaching I’ve encountered so far!) I can manage a three pass (yes I’m afraid I do need those three passes!) shave to a dfs+ and I just let a little against the grain roughness in a few spots on my neck go as it’s chasing them that lead to problems! I have tried some other razors. I had VERY good results with an R41 (Now THAT'S a two passer!) but I couldn’t quite tame it enough for daily shaving and If I wasn’t careful, it shaved me so close I got ingrowns on my jawline! I’ve also been playing with the Razorock Gamechanger which I have in the .84 and .68 open comb. The .68 open comb is my favourite of the non-Rockwells so far. I can get by with two passes with touchups with that one. I like the slenderer profile and immediate feel of the Gamechanger but I think the Rockwell has it beat for smoothness and ease of use. I haven’t used the .84 much yet so jury is still out but I think I should have got the .68 instead :c17:

I’d like to try a Karve with a B plate but they are very hard to come by in the UK. Also, my birthday is coming up so another razor might be on the cards! I tried to float the idea of a Timeless .68 to my girlfriend and I think she might still be unconscious on the kitchen floor as we speak! Even a whiff of Tabac aftershave wasn’t enough to bring her round :c10:

In the last few days I’ve been shaving with an A&E Kaizen base soap. I was blown away with how much slicker and protective this soap was compared to everything else I’ve used. I was able to do 4 passes with cleanup (technically a 5th pass) with absolutely no irritation. In the past with my Mitchell’s Wool Fat I would get irritation on the third pass. The Kaizen’s residual slickness was so good, that after rinsing it was still there. I had to wash my face with a wet wash cloth to remove it all.

Try your Feather blade again with some Kaizen based soap and I think your irritation will disappear.

In the last few days I’ve been shaving with an A&E Kaizen base soap. I was blown away with how much slicker and protective this soap was compared to everything else I’ve used. I was able to do 4 passes with cleanup (technically a 5th pass) with absolutely no irritation. In the past with my Mitchell’s Wool Fat I would get irritation on the third pass. The Kaizen’s residual slickness was so good, that after rinsing it was still there. I had to wash my face with a wet wash cloth to remove it all.

Try your Feather blade again with some Kaizen based soap and I think your irritation will disappear.
Thanks, I have Kaisen in the original scent and Amber Rose and it is indeed fantastic stuff. I'm getting the best results with PAA CK6 (Atomic Bay Rum) at the moment but based on your suggestion, I'll give the Kaisen another go! Thanks

Thanks, I have Kaisen in the original scent and Amber Rose and it is indeed fantastic stuff. I'm getting the best results with PAA CK6 (Atomic Bay Rum) at the moment but based on your suggestion, I'll give the Kaisen another go! Thanks
The Kaizen that I have is Summer Fig. The scent is overpowering, but I overlook it due to the performance of the soap. How do you find the scent of the original?

Hey guys,

Nice to see some renewed interest in the thread. Thanks for all your helpful comments and suggestions. I’m still experimenting but now having very good results with the R4 plate and a Voskhod blade for daily shaving. My beard hair is coarse, but my skin is a little sensitive. I find if I’m very gentle (ZERO pressure has been the best teaching I’ve encountered so far!) I can manage a three pass (yes I’m afraid I do need those three passes!) shave to a dfs+ and I just let a little against the grain roughness in a few spots on my neck go as it’s chasing them that lead to problems! I have tried some other razors. I had VERY good results with an R41 (Now THAT'S a two passer!) but I couldn’t quite tame it enough for daily shaving and If I wasn’t careful, it shaved me so close I got ingrowns on my jawline! I’ve also been playing with the Razorock Gamechanger which I have in the .84 and .68 open comb. The .68 open comb is my favourite of the non-Rockwells so far. I can get by with two passes with touchups with that one. I like the slenderer profile and immediate feel of the Gamechanger but I think the Rockwell has it beat for smoothness and ease of use. I haven’t used the .84 much yet so jury is still out but I think I should have got the .68 instead :c17:

I’d like to try a Karve with a B plate but they are very hard to come by in the UK. Also, my birthday is coming up so another razor might be on the cards! I tried to float the idea of a Timeless .68 to my girlfriend and I think she might still be unconscious on the kitchen floor as we speak! Even a whiff of Tabac aftershave wasn’t enough to bring her round :c10:
It seems you're "getting there", but you're not "quite there yet"... I kind of know the feeling.

For me the revelation had come when I switched from DE razors to SE, more precisely AC-type SE razors.

It is all about blades, as these AC blades are tick and rigid, therefore they never produce any blade chatter or skipping. These blades just effortlessly glide over and mow down all the stubble. Paired with a moderately mild/aggressive razor, irritation becomes the thing of the past and only BBS remains.

You might want to give it a try.

The Kaizen that I have is Summer Fig. The scent is overpowering, but I overlook it due to the performance of the soap. How do you find the scent of the original?
Neither of the A&E scents are particularly my cup of tea (all of the scents sem to be a bit 'out there'!) but I prefer the original Kaisen to Amber Rose. It has an unusual sweet, soapey, orangey kind of smell. Performance is great although the goopyness of it is a little odd! Unbeleivalbe perormance and it can't get enough of the old H20!

Neither of the A&E scents are particularly my cup of tea (all of the scents sem to be a bit 'out there'!) but I prefer the original Kaisen to Amber Rose. It has an unusual sweet, soapey, orangey kind of smell. Performance is great although the goopyness of it is a little odd! Unbeleivalbe perormance and it can't get enough of the old H20!
I too was surprised by the amount of water that it needed. More water than even The Fat.

It seems you're "getting there", but you're not "quite there yet"... I kind of know the feeling.

For me the revelation had come when I switched from DE razors to SE, more precisely AC-type SE razors.

It is all about blades, as these AC blades are tick and rigid, therefore they never produce any blade chatter or skipping. These blades just effortlessly glide over and mow down all the stubble. Paired with a moderately mild/aggressive razor, irritation becomes the thing of the past and only BBS remains.

You might want to give it a try.

Thank you for the suggestion! Yes I haven’t tried an SE razor yet. I may look into it!

I too was surprised by the amount of water that it needed. More water than even The Fat.
Ahh the Fat. I wanted to love that soap so much but I’m one of the unlucky ones that can’t get the blasted stuff to lather. It also gave me a rash. It’s the only soap I’ve had a reaction to so far :-(

Ahh the Fat. I wanted to love that soap so much but I’m one of the unlucky ones that can’t get the blasted stuff to lather. It also gave me a rash. It’s the only soap I’ve had a reaction to so far :-(
You probably got hold of one of the dodgy pucks. A different puck would solve the lather issue, but nothing will solve the rash issue. You must be allergic to lanolin. That being the case, steer clear of any soap with lanolin in it. I think Sterling Sheep has lanolin, but I’m drawing a blank on any others.

Top Bottom