What's new

Some help with SE razors and "wedge" blades

I've been a straight razor shaver for a few years and really didn't want to dip my toe into the DE realm. Recently there was a lot deal on the bay that was a really good deal for a 9/8 FBU W&B straight by itself and had several other shave items thrown in as well. I took a chance and won. After some research, I found out that 2 of the additional items were a 59 Gillette Fatboy and a pre-WW2 Gillette Tech 3-piece. Aside from some soap scum that came off with water and a tooth brush, both in real good shape. This led me to some more research into Gillette and DE razors and then into single edge razors. A lot of the SE razors like GEM and, I think, AutoStrop use what I think are or may be disposable blades. However I found a very few razors that use a wedge blade. These razors with wedge blades have kind of intrigued me and I'd like to find more information on them, what brands were made, when, maintenance, restoration, etc. If anyone can point me in the right direction for information on SE wedge blade razors (if I'm using the right terms), please do.
Thank you.

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
I’m no expert, but I’m a fan of the razors known as Lather Catchers. Kampfe Bros, GEM, Rapides if you use these names with Lather Catcher and wedge, you’ll see a non-disposable side of SE shaving.

Probably the most widely produced, and mentioned, wedgie is the Henckles Rapide. There are several different handle styles, sets, etc..
proxy.php

I sold off mine, but kept my 3 Wester Bros., which were predecessors of the Rapide, just a little more rare.

Wilkinson Sword Empire razors are fairy common, using a less rounded spine than most of the lather catchers and the Rapide. The Seven Day Dunhill sets from the '20s are wonderful. I have the gold/creme handle and the rhodium/black handle sets, complete.
proxy.php

CV Heljestrand makes several of the lather catcher style, from around the '20s, and those 7 days sets are generally in high demand.
proxy.php

And, speaking of lather catchers, the original stamped metal Kampfe/Gems are really neat, but can be a bit fragile, mostly made in the early 1900s.
proxy.php

I almost forgot, L'Essor/Le Coq and a few others produced wedgies, as well.
The photo is not mine, but my L'Essor is really the best wedge shaver I have, all other things being equal. good steel, nice body.
proxy.php

Generally, all of these mentioned will accept modern SE blades. Their heyday was pretty much from 1900 to about 1927, being a bit "retro" from ~1925 onward, since Gillette and Gem's Micromatics were exploding with new "Safety Razor Technology"!

Please note, note of these are my pics. Shamelessly stolen for the sake of expediency.

If you really get into wedges, you'll want an Allegro K hone/stropper. Veerrry rare, and probably more $$ than any of the razors you may find, but a great aid in the upkeep of these special little guys.:001_cool:

Research the Rolls razor kits. They’re a bit finicky, but pretty close to being a section of and SR blade stuck on the end of a stick.

Thank you guys for your help and details to continue researching and learning.
@Rob72 - I don't see an Allegro Model K. There is a model L/standard which looks to be for DE blades and somewhat available, a model H with very limited availability now, and a model E that seems to be for wedge blades that I can't find anywhere right now so I'll keep looking.

Thank you guys for your help and details to continue researching and learning.
@Rob72 - I don't see an Allegro Model K. There is a model L/standard which looks to be for DE blades and somewhat available, a model H with very limited availability now, and a model E that seems to be for wedge blades that I can't find anywhere right now so I'll keep looking.

Apologies- you are correct, it is the Model E, with the K11 attachment.:whistling:

Top Bottom