O: 127 (Floris)
P: PdN's New York
Q: Quercus (Penhaligon's)
R: Royal Scottish Lavender (Creed)
S: Santal Imperial (Creed)
T: T&H's West Indian Limes
U: Ungaro III

Bob

x day... this will be fragrance x. it's an egyptian oil is all i know. Was in a PIF box one time. I tried to find out what it was with no such luck. Therefore, it's fragrance X. And, it fills my X slot.

That is impressive, gentlemen. I did something vaguely similar earlier this year when I went on a no-buy and forced myself to wear everything in the herd once in rotation. That took nearly 3 months, including decants - and I'd like to report that I rediscovered a big part of my herd and now wear everything equally...but nope, the 80/20 rule has reasserted itself.

That is impressive, gentlemen. I did something vaguely similar earlier this year when I went on a no-buy and forced myself to wear everything in the herd once in rotation. That took nearly 3 months, including decants - and I'd like to report that I rediscovered a big part of my herd and now wear everything equally...but nope, the 80/20 rule has reasserted itself.

I know what you mean. Although, with the exception of only two or three, I picked ones I have full bottles of for this little "experiment", I do find that one will gravitate towards particular ones. I think it is mainly because our lives are a routine. Most folks work five to six days a week, and groom themselves accordingly.

I have found that I have several similar fragrances, for example; limes. While Royall Lyme is a wonderful outdoorsy fragrance with just enough vetiver in the background to keep it both clean and dirty at the same time, Penhaligon's Extract of Limes has a perfect single note effect. (even though we know that it is a bit more complex than that) While, for example T&H is a much more formal lime fragrance. Therefore, while going on a picnic you might pick Royall, going out for dinner you might pick T&H, and if staying at home and getting the chance to simply bask in the sweet goodness of perfection you might pick the Penhaligon's.

You will find that the same effect carries over to many other "types" of fragrances; Fougere's, Chyrpe's, Aromatic's, Sandalwood's, Vetiver's, etc. And because most of the time you will be grooming for work, you will gravitate towards only one or two of those of each type.

Weather, temperature and time of year will also have an effect on your choices. Face it, some fragrances simply are more "correct" for particular temperatures, but as we do not all work on farms or outdoors, we will tend to spend the majority of our day in climate controlled environments. So something that is a perfect cold winter day scent, will only be perfect for the walk from and to our vehicles. The day at the office, so to speak, will be almost the same summer or winter, thus spoiling an otherwise foolproof plan. Thankfully, as I am a smoker, I am forced to go outside to take a break, therefore I do get to enjoy some quality time in the "proper" temperature for the time of the year. That, coupled with my wide tolerance for temperature variations (at least for a short while) enables me to wear, and more importantly, enjoy many fragrances that would otherwise not be good choices for an entire day spent inside the office.

YMMV

Bob

I had to finish while on the road, but here's my wrap up:

O - Opium for Men
P - Paco Rabanne
Q - Quercus
R - Red for Men
S - Serge Noire
T - Terre de Sarment
U - Ungaro III
V - Vetiver de Puig
W - Wild Country (vintage, thanks Rick)
X - Xeryus Rouge
Z - Zegna "Z"

It was fun, and interesting taking a run through the fragrance alphabet. I was glad to be able to try some samples during this, too.

Top Bottom