What's new

Some advice on material for the exterior of a case (7 day set)

I have a 7 day set I've been planning to restore for ages. I won't have much time in the run up to Christmas but I'd like to get some suitable material to restore the cases exterior. If I can get a period accurate material (early-mid 1900's?) my list of excuses for not restoring it diminishes considerably.

The outside is what I can only think to call "faux crocodile" so I need the correct material name before I can even begin a proper search.
The inside is red velvet which is in reasonable condition but I might also replace that, I haven't decided yet as I'd like to keep it as original as possible.

The material for the outside needs to be relatively tough with zero stretch as it's a supporting structure that acts as the hinge, see picture 1.
Picture 2 is the bottom of the case and is the reason it needs the refurbishment.

I've never attempted a case restore before so please feel free to post any advice on materials, glues or process, anything else you think might be helpful.
The only real limiting factor is that it needs to be a ruby red to match the interior velvet and very thin like in photo 2.

PXL_20201205_122233969.jpgPXL_20201205_122303205.jpg

Go to Maverick leather, search for - white lizard points - in 1 oz weight. You'll have to figure out how to work with it, dye it, etc. One ounce leather is about 1 mm thick. Can be a little under or over. You might be able to find something similar elsewhere, I just happened to remember their listing. It's a garment leather, which is sometimes used for book covers too. But if you search bookbinder leather you'll find something else.

Hadn't thought of book binding material, that might be just the stuff I'm looking for.
I'll have a look into it, thanks for the advice.

R

romsitsa

Hello, it’s either paper thin leather (0,1-2 mm) or pressed paper, no real replacement available today.
Glue was most likely hide glue, so avoid water or any liquid. Heating will soften it, easier to peel away the leather, the original glue should be scraped off, as good as possible, before reglueing.

it’s either paper thin leather (0,1-2 mm) or pressed paper, no real replacement available today.

Thanks for the reply. I think you're right about the paper. I looked into Gamma's suggestion but I think the leather on offer would be far too thick.
I've been looking at paper that would have to be very strong and possibly water resistant (not overly important as the box won't be getting wet) but I've yet to find anything that would be suitable. I'm also unsure as to what would be the correct glue to use if I ever find the right paper.

R

romsitsa

Based on the ripped edges I opt for leather. Seemingly impossible to find today, but this extremely thin leather was a quite common wrapping material back then. Your best bet would be finding a book binder/restorer or something big and old like a folder, so you can cut out the pattern from one piece of leather.
Or you do it the hard way and thin down the leather yourself.

I use Pattex Palma Express, it’s a wood glue, perfect for leather/paper/wood, but once set it can’t be removed without damaging the material.

I had a look at book binders but couldn't find the super thin leather.
I might have to get some of that glue as all I currently have is epoxy and superglue.
Thanks

Top Bottom