What's new

Solingen Type #14?

Bought this blade real cheap locally. I have never seen a 14 like this. Thought it might be a copy or a fake or possibly a Pakistan made razor.

Who ever made it did a very good job on the grinds and overall finish of the blade.

Also it doesn't fit the normal 14 profile though, no jimping on the tang, no hump on the spine over the tang, round point, and is much lighter than your normal 14. Anyone ever seen one of these or had experience with one. Haven't even honed it yet. Just cleaning it up a little before I finish setting the edge.

Thoughts?

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1408586619.216396.jpg
$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1408586631.231437.jpg
$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1408586642.124055.jpg
$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1408586653.447141.jpg

By 14 don't you mean a Fil? Which were Spanish, not German? It's not a fake, just not the 14 you're thinking of. Or were Fil's made from German steel? I'm sure plenty of other manufacturers stamped 14mm and 14/16" blades with 14. Whatever the case, it certainly doesn't look like a fake to me. The fit and finish, even down to the defects aren't the type you'd see on a recently made blade.

Last edited:
By 14 don't you mean a Fil? Which were Spanish, not German? It's not a fake, just not the 14 you're thinking of. Or were Fil's made from German steel? I'm sure plenty of other manufacturers stamped 14mm and 14/16" blades with 14. Whatever the case, it certainly doesn't look like a fake to me. The fit and finish, even down to the defects aren't the type you'd see on a recently made blade.

I don't think it's ever been proven where the 14 blanks came from. There are many other 14's out there besides Fili's. Personally I have had a French and Solingen made 14's. This one is 7/8+ but was probably closer to 8/8 when new. I have taken quit a bit off it trying to get the bevel set and get to some fresh steel all the way down the edge.

Personally I don't think it is a fake or Pakistan made blade. Like Ian said the fit and finish is too good for that. I guess it could just be a generic solingen blade or made in a another country and ground to the specs of a hollow ground German blade.

I'm not sure. Going to stick it in some cheap scales and hone it before I take the clean up any further though. Don't want to spend a lot of time on it if it won't take a good edge.

I'd just hone it without scales to be honest (or use nuts instead of peening so it's removable). That'll leave it easier to clean up after you confirm it'll take an edge.

The LeGrelot has one stabilizer while the one here has 2.
I have a a few German 14s. 2 Carl Rader and a Eugenio Hoppe, but all 3 are more like other 14s: Single shoulder and square points.

Top Bottom