What's new

Solingen Razor Co.?

I bought this at a local antique store for $20 yesterday. It looks like it will clean up nicely.

The only markings say "Solingen Razor Co. Germany." Has anyone ever heard of that company? The razor is fairly generic, but it is tight in the scales (plastic but look like a dark wood grain) and closes center.
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Not sure about the company but those scales just might be bone. Hard to tell from the pics.

Solingen is where Merkur blades/razors are manufactured, correct? Could it be a long lost ancestor of today's Merkur goods?

I deal in alot of Ivory, hate it when people start poking hot pins in Ivory bone etc both of whice will burn but not melt.
If you must, if bone it will smell like burning hair, Ivory smells like the dentists office when the drill is running.
look at the end of the scale, do you see small pores? those are the channels that once transported blood, another way if you have a UV lgt, shine lgt on the object in the dark, it will phlorese (SP).

another way if you have a UV lgt, shine lgt on the object in the dark, it will phlorese (SP).

I will try that! As far as the origin of the company, who knows how many manufacturers made razors in Solingen? It looks like a nice, restorable razor.

I will try that! As far as the origin of the company, who knows how many manufacturers made razors in Solingen? It looks like a nice, restorable razor.
In the beginning of the 20th century there were about 9000 companies which produced blades according to

http://www.schneidwaren-solingen.de/herstellerdesc/guede.htm (in german)

I don't know how many of them made straight razors, but I think there were many. Some of them also produced blades for the overseas markets. The marking on the blade "Solingen Razor Co. Germany" is a sign that this razor was made for overseas (or English speaking countries).

Solingen, which is a city in Germany, became something like a trademark for cutting items of high quality.

I don't know but I have one also, It belonged to my grandfather who is now deceased. -Blade Boy

Last edited:
Top Bottom