What's new

Sold my Nikon D7100. What should I buy now?

^
Different mount for the new Z line, no? Older lenses require an adapter. I am not a fan of using adapters and adding weight. Plus, focusing speed is also compromised.

Most of us consider the z line to be a completely different product. Like say call the Z line a straight razor and the rest of the Nikon digital line an injector.

A lot of people screw themselves over on the cost of the body and even the contents of the kit lenses that come with it.

Far to many people will have grand ideas of what they want to do with a digital camera, and then base the whole purchase upon "this body comes with these two lenses..." and so on.

Factory refurbished bodies, and even factory refurbished camera kits are the best option for someone who worries about cost. Buying used otherwise is a major suicide proposition. And MOST of the refurbs will be among the last 2 generations of that camera.

Well, I dunno, but I got the (to me) wonderful Olympus Pen F with some fine lenses, and the images are first class. No it's not a huge brick, but the handling is superb and build all-metal quality feels "right." Yeah, with Micro 4/3 you're not going to be doing huge poster sized work, but check one out and read the reviews.
2Pen-F front 2 copy.jpg

Looks like a beautiful camera. For a second I thought it was the film version.
Exactly. I'm sort of a retro-grouch and have been an Olympus fan since the 70's. When the OM-D series came out, I got one because it was so reminiscent of the OM film cameras in both appearance and handling. I do prefer the Pen F, but only slightly. Lenses are interchangeable between the two, so it was an easy choice.
18_om-d-e-m5-mark-iii_slv_left_14-150ii-824x678.jpg

Well, I dunno, but I got the (to me) wonderful Olympus Pen F with some fine lenses, and the images are first class. No it's not a huge brick, but the handling is superb and build all-metal quality feels "right." Yeah, with Micro 4/3 you're not going to be doing huge poster sized work, but check one out and read the reviews.View attachment 1082024
Those are gorgeous! I wanted one but my GX-85 was already stretching the budget at the time.

Olympus would be nice however my 7500 does seriously nicer work. when the base image is 19x15.... and with RAW as good as it is, almost as good as 120

I shoot with Canon. I mainly do sports photography with some portrait work. However, if I was going to start over I would go with Sony. Many pros would have spent years with Nikon and Canon have made the move to Sony including one of my favorites David Burnett. David Burnett | Photographer - https://www.davidburnett.com/

hate to burst the bubble, but if a so called photographer claims they can only do a photo because they use a certain brand, they aren't worth ****, and cant be called a photographer. MOST, if not ALL digital pictures you see these days have been given an average 30% of photo editing before you see them. That makes any ****ty picture a decent one. And can make an average picture really nice.

hate to burst the bubble, but if a so called photographer claims they can only do a photo because they use a certain brand, they aren't worth ****, and cant be called a photographer. MOST, if not ALL digital pictures you see these days have been given an average 30% of photo editing before you see them. That makes any ****ty picture a decent one. And can make an average picture really nice.
Oh, he uses a lot of different gear...
proxy.php

David Burnett is a kind of photography wizard mixing different lens and bodies (not everything can be done in photoshop). However, like most professional photographers he has always had a go-to brand in which he invested a significant amount of money in glass (aka lens). He started with Nikon, then switched everything out for Canon, after four decades with Canon he moved to Sony. On a side-note, he is a really nice guy who I had the pleasure of meeting at the Rio 2016 Olympics, where he was on special assignment to photograph the Olympic Refugee Team for the IOC. Here is a link about why David made the switch to Sony and forty years with Canon. Photographer David Burnett Switches to Sony After 40 Years of Canon - https://petapixel.com/2018/01/23/photographer-david-burnett-switches-sony-40-years-shooting-canon/

calling him a wizard because he uses lens adapters, is like calling a 5 year old a genius for knowing the difference between their hand and their foot.

Calling burnett a good example is not useful.. hes nothing compared to say Sartore who actually has a career, has accomplishments, and contributes to photography instead of just promoting a mystiqe

I love my Fujifilm XT-2 with 18-55 lens. It's just small enough that I have no trouble carrying it all day on a sling strap when traveling. I have other Fujifilm lenses, but I use the 18-55 the most. It's an excellent lens.

Love my Olympus omd em1 v1 which is not to small for a relative big tele without cramps. And can be crammed in you jacket pocket with a pancake or compact zoom lens.
V1 and V2 work with older 43 glass which is affordable most of them weather and dust sealed.
And oly makes pro glas and consumer glas plenty.
Need smaller em5! But only use with m43 glass not with 43!

Sony and Fuji makes great cameras too.
Just make sure you can have the lens body combo you like. And compare weight and size. And if you really need 20-30mp...
However if you still have Nikon glass looking at nikons own mirror less might be smart.
Lol it would keep you away of the if it is not canikon then it is not a serious camera discussion 😝 on holidays (until they notice you made that shot which they could not).

Top Bottom