What's new

Softest boar brush

Hi,

Maximum price range for subject 15-20$
I have bad experience with Semogue 830, so I want to buy another boar brush for my sensitive skin. After I started to use my Sivertip badger, I forgot all problems with scritching, no irritation due to boar brush.
Therefore, I need for my hard soaps some boar with silvertip effect

A Semogue 1305 will fit in your price range. It has the same knot as the 830, so there's really no reason to buy it.

How long did you break in your 830? I've found that Semogue boars take a good 3 months to reach peak performance, but the wait is worth it. If you haven't given the 830 at least 40~50 shaves, go back and give it another chance to show you just how great it is.

My 1305 was the best brush I own. I way *was* because after 4 years, it was worn out. Got too floppy and didn't hold much water anymore, so I retired it to drawer duty.

My current boar is a Semogue Custom 2010 blond boar ... its a Limited Edition, so you can try a 610 as the closest match in regular production.

The Semogue Owner's Club is another really soft brush, but quite out of your price range. I have 2 of them, and despite both being the same age and the same break-in, they developed unique personalities. The ash handle is very soft but a tad floppy. The cherry handle is a tad scritchy but has just the right amount of backbone.

Hi,

Maximum price range for subject 15-20$
I have bad experience with Semogue 830, so I want to buy another boar brush for my sensitive skin. After I started to use my Sivertip badger, I forgot all problems with scritching, no irritation due to boar brush.
Therefore, I need for my hard soaps some boar with silvertip effect
My suggestion would be to go with a horsehair brush. A while back, I too was looking for something that could stand up to soaps and came across several recommendations for horsehair. I wound up getting a Vie Long horsehair and it's been great, combining the best attributes of boar and badger. My particular model was about $30, which exceeds your specified budget, however, here is a link to a less expensive model: http://www.maggardrazors.com/product/vie-long-12705-peleon-horse-hair-shaving-brush-red-handle/

Let us know how it works out for you.

How long did you break in your 830? I've found that Semogue boars take a good 3 months to reach peak performance, but the wait is worth it. If you haven't given the 830 at least 40~50 shaves, go back and give it another chance to show you just how great it is.

Im using 830 aprx 1 year. First 6 month I used just 830 at least 1-2 times per week

What about professional line of Omega after break-in period? I like visually 10098

Last edited:
I have a 49 that I've had for a couple/three years, and a 98 that I've had for maybe six months. The 49 is very well used, the 98 is just starting to be where you could consider it broken in. Neither one of them is really any softer than my Omega 830.

The Vie Long idea was a good one, or any of the good synths can handle your soaps.

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
Personally, I find my Semogue 1800 softer than my Omega Pro 48. However, I do more "painting" strokes with the big Pro rather than circular scrubbing motions, so the added scritch isn't that relevant . Both are well broken in.

I don't own one, but I've heard Vulfix boar brushes are very soft. They don't get much attention it seems. See if you can find one of the "London Series" brushes; they have gorgeous handles.

I think "soft boat" is somewhat of an oxymoron. Boars can get somewhat soft over time, but they will never be as soft as a badger. I am a boar user exclusively, so this is not a shot at boars, just a fact of life.

My suggestion would be to go with a horsehair brush. A while back, I too was looking for something that could stand up to soaps and came across several recommendations for horsehair. I wound up getting a Vie Long horsehair and it's been great, combining the best attributes of boar and badger. My particular model was about $30, which exceeds your specified budget, however, here is a link to a less expensive model: http://www.maggardrazors.com/product/vie-long-12705-peleon-horse-hair-shaving-brush-red-handle/

Let us know how it works out for you.
The only bad thing about horse brushes is that they are unbearably stritchy. And the way they knot if you use anything but painting motions. And how prickly they are.

Aside from that, they are great.

That is very unfortunate that you had a negative experience with the Semogue 830 since it has the best bristles on the market with their Premium tops. Once properly broken in, you won't find any other boar quite like it unless you get the Semogue 1305 which has the same bristles.
Good luck.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
The only bad thing about horse brushes is that they are unbearably stritchy. And the way they knot if you use anything but painting motions. And how prickly they are.

Aside from that, they are great.

I regularly use a Vie-Long 04312 and I would not call it scritchy at all. It's pretty darn soft, really, and it's right in OP's price range.

Once broken in I find Semogue boars generally to be quite soft. And I have sensitive skin. Your 830 is broken in, based on the usage you describe, so I don't think that's the problem. And the hair grade on the 830 is best 90% tops, which is considered to be soft as far as Semogues go.

Perhaps try an Omega boar. Or, perhaps boar isn't for you.

Last edited:
I don't have the Semogue 830, but I do have the SOC and 2000. If they use the same bristle type I can't imagine any Omega or horse hair brush being softer. (I have an Omega 48 and 2 Vie Longs). The Zenith I think would be a little softer, but not by that much. I would agree with another poster and recommend looking at a synthetic brush.

Last edited:
Top Bottom