What's new

Soft Brush Recommendation

Hello all,

New to the forum, new to DE shaving, have been wet shaving with cartridges for several years. I have a Viking White Knight brush and have used it with TOBS Eaton College for about 3 years.

I struggle with having a very sensitive neck and get a lot of razor burn. Even lathering in my neck feels like little micro stabs with my brush (this is even when I lather in a bowl then apply to the face).

Looking for a recommendation on very soft, gentle brushes...

A synthetic brush softer than what you currently have would make sense. The brushes below are made by Yaqi and sold by West Coast Shaving. Similar knots are available from other stores, too. A brush that is not too huge and dense should help. You want something that will splay without too much bearing down.

Left: Arctic (softest); Center: Cashmere (softer); Right: Mew Brown (soft)
1597719014845.png1597719120495.png1597719212852.png

A synthetic brush softer than what you currently have would make sense. The brushes below are made by Yaqi and sold by West Coast Shaving. Similar knots are available from other stores, too. A brush that is not too huge and dense should help. You want something that will splay without too much bearing down.

Left: Arctic (softest); Center: Cashmere (softer); Right: Mew Brown (soft)
View attachment 1141444View attachment 1141447View attachment 1141449
great recomendations. also try painted the lather on not scrubbing

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Yaqi makes excellent inexpensive brushes and I have a few myself, I also have some Razorock Plissoft brushes that are also a good deal. My favorite knot is the Tuxedo knot and it creates great lather and has a cloud like soft tips.
I like the looks of the Yaqi arctic and might have to try that one down the road that is shown above.

Yaqi Tuxedo knots.......................................................Razorock Plissoft
Yaqi Tuxedo knot (2).jpg
Razorock plissoft 24mm (2).jpg

Have some great shaves! Stay safe in these times!

Man I appreciate the recommendations but I have to say, the Yaqi brushes, to me, are kinda ugly. I’m sort of traditional that way. Wish they just made a straight up faux ivory handled thing.

JWCowboy

Probably not Al Bundy
Another vote for the Razorock Plissoft brushes, they have a great combo of being extremely soft and still having plenty of backbone. At $12, they are as good a value as you will ever find in a brush.

Last edited:
The Razorock Plissofts are really soft, love them. I have just picked up a Maggard Super High Density fan brush and it is incredibly soft with a very good backbone too. If you have no sensitivity to the animal side of things I highly recommend that.

Not familiar with the brush, but I just watched a video review that praised its softness. So I wonder if a new brush will make a difference.

Could it be, as others have suggested, how you use the brush?

Perhaps you should bowl lather and apply the lather to your neck by hand, and see if that helps alleviate the problem before you go out and spend more money.

Man I appreciate the recommendations but I have to say, the Yaqi brushes, to me, are kinda ugly. I’m sort of traditional that way. Wish they just made a straight up faux ivory handled thing.
I prefer to say "different" or "creative"! But, you asked about softneess, not traditional looks. If you want a more conventional look, try and find knots similar to these in another handle.

Having had 20 badgers costing up to $165, I hate to admit that my softest brush is a RazoRock 24mm Plissoft. While the RR lathers great and I use it occasionally, my 2-band badgers get the most use as I feel a need to justify using brushes that cost 5-6x the price of that synth. I tried two early synths, one in 2015 costing $55 which I PIF'd to another member and a WCS synth in 2017 that was like lathering with a porcupine when using circular motions. Hopefully, those have gotten better since then. My RR from 2018 is in a heavy chrome handle. It's a bit unbalanced, maybe why it's no longer available, but it's soft and lathers any soft or hard soap when using a circular or painting technique.

I prefer to say "different" or "creative"! But, you asked about softneess, not traditional looks. If you want a more conventional look, try and find knots similar to these in another handle.
Or... buy the knot separately and set it into the handle of your choice.

I'll throw in my vote for RazoRock Plissoft. I have three of them and they are fantastic.
Their black "snow man" handle with a "tuxedo" knot is elegant in its simplicity. And it's only $10
Oh and a plus one for using the "paint brush" technique, especially on your neck.

Top Bottom