What's new

Sodium lauryl/laureth sulfate & scalpal dermititis

sodium lauryl sulfate aka sodium dodecyl sulfate aka sodium laureth sulfate is cheap, readily synthesized and effective as a surfactant at low concentrations. Also, it is biodegradable, and the original source is organic (though now it is all synthetic afaik). This means it is in virtually everything that needs a surfactant/detergent. It lathers well, too. BECAUSE it is highly effective as a degreaser, people with dry skin, or skin that is stripped easily, or who wash/shower more than strictly necessary (yes everyone's needs are different, I mean more that they should for their skin type) will experience drying to some degree as the natural body oils are stripped from the interior of the skin, not just the surface. These people need a milder detergent, or to wash less, or to replace the skin oil with something else. Olive oil works extremely well. A massage with SMALL amounts of oil will do wonders. Avocado oil is another superb choice, possibly even better than OO and with less noticeable odour. Other vegetable oils not so much, as they vary too widely from human skin oil composition.

We use Burt Bees Grapefruit Shampoo. I find that there are very few toothpastes that do not have fluoride and sls. We use Jasons Healthy Mouth and Weleda toothpaste varieties.

True dat.

by the way, I'm pretty sure Tom's of Maine toothpastes are NOT SLS-free.

The majority of them are not, but they make a specific type that is SLS-free. Those are the ones that I buy. You can't find them (at least not here in NYC) in typical pharmacies. They are to be found at highfalutin yuppie joints like Whole Foods.

Well since I switched to Dr Bronners for soap and use it as shampoo, no more dandruff or oily scalp. Then I switched to Toms toothpaste with sls, no problems but I think the combo of flouride/sls = gag for me.. So far with Toms toothpaste no more gagging.

Cheers,
Charlie

I believe I might try this SLS-free thing, seeing as I have everything the original poster has. I just bought some Avalon Organics lavender shampoo and some Burt's Bees SLS-free toothpaste, MAN I hope this works!!!

I hope so, too!

Please post back after a week or two and let us know if you have seen an improvement.

*keeping fingers crossed*
:thumbup:

I believe I might try this SLS-free thing, seeing as I have everything the original poster has. I just bought some Avalon Organics lavender shampoo and some Burt's Bees SLS-free toothpaste, MAN I hope this works!!!

Ok guys, I'm giving the SLS-free shampoo thing a whirl starting today. If this doesn't work, its back to head shaving - the only surefire cure for dandruff.

Wanting to try the SLS-free shampoo myself, I picked up a bottle of J/A/S/O/N. It was great on my hair, but left my scalp feeling very itchy. Taking a closer look at the ingredients, and doing a little more research, I found that J/A/S/O/N substitutes some "milder" detergents in place of SLS (in this case, Cocamidopropyl Betaine and Cocamidopropyl Hydroxysultaine). I would just caution others to be aware of this, as you may be just as sensitive, if not more so, to these other detergents. Now I'm trying Aubrey Organics which is detergent free. Day 1 - so far so good.

I am thinking of giving Aubrey a try myself. Thanks for the post.

Wanting to try the SLS-free shampoo myself, I picked up a bottle of J/A/S/O/N. It was great on my hair, but left my scalp feeling very itchy. Taking a closer look at the ingredients, and doing a little more research, I found that J/A/S/O/N substitutes some "milder" detergents in place of SLS (in this case, Cocamidopropyl Betaine and Cocamidopropyl Hydroxysultaine). I would just caution others to be aware of this, as you may be just as sensitive, if not more so, to these other detergents. Now I'm trying Aubrey Organics which is detergent free. Day 1 - so far so good.

I have suffered from seborrhea for years, so I decided to try this approach. I picked up a shampoo at Trader Joe's that appears to have no SLS in it and began to use it every day. I started one week ago.

By last night, my scalp was itching like crazy and I had to use an antifungal shampoo this morning. It feels much better now.

Just to let you know that this approach is apparently not going to work for everybody.:crying:

I am really happy for you. I have also had this, although to a much lesser extent, with canned Gillette shaving gel which made me itch something fierce. No surprises, it also contained SLS. When I went over to traditional wet shaving with soaps and creams this problem completely disappeared.

Sucks... sorry to hear that. I didn't want to raise any false hopes by making my post. It was worth a shot, though. :sad:

I have suffered from seborrhea for years, so I decided to try this approach. I picked up a shampoo at Trader Joe's that appears to have no SLS in it and began to use it every day. I started one week ago.

By last night, my scalp was itching like crazy and I had to use an antifungal shampoo this morning. It feels much better now.

Just to let you know that this approach is apparently not going to work for everybody.:crying:

Top Bottom